Welcome to Battle College
Battle College Mission Statement
How do we do this?
- Model Entries - Battle College is perhaps best known for having a short article on every single model in the game where we explain what it is capable of, and give a brief breakdown of its merits and downsides.
- Explore the Faction pages, and you'll soon navigate to specific model entries.
- Newbie Guides - We have guides on everything from "what Warmachine is" to "Cygnar for beginners" or "probability calculations when rolling dice" or "the complete spell list". Its all work in progress, but maybe you want to help us?
- And more - Poke around and you'll find lots of useful information.
Who writes Battle College?
You do. Nobody takes responsibility for the content of BC. It's our own responsibility - all of us. Everything here is written by volunteers - if there's something you want to add or correct, simply hit the edit button - you don't even need an account!
- Check out the guides in the Contribute section before diving in to editing willy-nilly.
- Talk to other Battle College editors on the Facebook group page
Many players tend to not be able to get away from the idea that BC is "someone". That you can talk to BC and give it advice. "Hey BC, I think you should fix [...]" "Hey BC, [...] needs a new image". But you can't; if you try to talk to BC, you talk to yourself and the only answer is silence. Because there is no point in pointing it out - if you think it should be changed, change it. Most likely nobody else is going to do it for you. Other editors probably want to work on the things that interest them, not the things you spot and point out.
Articles you can help with
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Battle College vs the Official Rules
Battle College (BC) is not officially endorsed by Privateer Press (PP), and historically this meant we could not show exact stats and rules because of Copyright and Intellectual Property issues. However, this all changed in 2016 when PP announced that they were going to:
- go fully digital with their rules, (no more stats cards provided in the boxes)
- provide all their rules for free (you can find links on our Useful External Links page), and
- allow third-party websites (like BC) to show exact copies of the rules.
Since that announcement we have been editing all our pages from their old 'pseudo-rules' to being exact copies, but there are a couple of obstacles:
- There are a lot of rules to update. At the current count, BC is using over 1500 unique templates and, at a guess, about a quarter of them are still 'pseudo rules'.
- Some editors are lazier than others, and might not exactly copy the official version of the rule.
- Editors are humans, and make mistakes.
What this all adds up to is simple: We try our best, but there are mistakes on this website. Don't trust everything you read on the internet, and always play the game based on the official rules.
If you need to contact an admin, refer to the Talk:Main Page#Contact Us.
Rules and Rules Clarifications
At the top of every model page you will find a Rules summary. These rules used to be "pseudo rules" to avoid copyright, but are currently being changed over to exact copies (as mentioned above).
At the bottom of most model pages you'll find a list of Rules Clarifications. These clarifications are typically unofficial, except those with an Infernal Ruling. However each and every clarification attempts to "use the rules to explain how this works" rather than just "it works this way because I say so."
The clarifications are from discussions on the official Rules Questions forum, and can be considered the "communally accepted proper way to play the rule."
Battle College - A brief history
The original Battlecollege.com website was run by Ringsnake. Unfortunately, he did not feel he could maintain or update the site after the change from Mk I to Mk II. His site was archived and transported to the "wikispaces" website by StJason. This move let everyone have a say, rather than just showcasing the opinions of one individual. As the games grow and evolve, so does the wiki. By letting a more general consensus appear, not to mention the voices of dozens of you mad tactical geniuses, we can get a more accurate, more inventive, and more dastardly tactica set up for the beginner. Who will turn around and invent something even more nasty?... Sharing is caring!
In 2014 juckto began pushing for a more systematic approach to the model articles, to try and curtail the reputation Battle College had gained among the wider community as a site that "gives bad advice more often than it gives good advice." He drew a line in the sand between the info-only 'Basic Info' section vs the opinion-based 'Thoughts On' section; introduced standardised templates for abilities; and expanded the 'Thoughts On' section with sub-headings so that each model got a fuller and less biased review.
In 2016, the Monocle Society company generously took over the running costs of the wikispaces host software (which by then had not been free for several years) and also purchased the battlecollege.org domain name. Shortly after, when Mk3 was announced, the decision was made to leave the old site behind completely and instead update the site to a modern wikipedia software engine - especially given that the mk2 version had grown so vast it was often causing glitches in the wikispaces software.