Lord Kozlov, Viscount of Scarsgrad
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Koslov is a man at home in the harsh northern reaches of Khador, a landscape dominated by ice and snow. His family has a long history of service to the Iron Fangs, and Kozlov himself underwent the demanding training regimen of that distinguished fighting tradition. His warcaster talent and combat prowess make him a great asset to the Khadoran military, but his heart remains with the people of his ancestral home. Walking the line between his obligations to the Khadoran Army and his duties as a noble is difficult, but Kozlov’s loyalty to the Motherland is unquestionable.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Lord Kozlov, Viscount of Scarsgrad
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Great Axe - 2" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Precision Strike - When damaging a warjack/warbeast with a melee attack, the attacker chooses which column/branch takes the damage.
- Side Step - When this model hits an enemy model with an initial melee attack or a melee special attack, it can advance up to 2" after the attack is resolved.
- Avalanche - Cost 3, 8" range, 4" AOE, POW 14
- Chosen Ground - Cost 2, Upkeep
- Battlegroup models in the caster's CTRL area gain Pathfinder and Steady. (Steady - This model can't be knocked down.)
- Fury - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains +3 to melee damage rolls but suffers -1 DEF.
- Razor Wind - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 12
- This spell has no special effects.
- Tactical Supremacy - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly faction model/unit gains Reposition [3"]. (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
Feat : Onrush
Friendly Faction models in Kozlov's CTRL range gain +2 SPD and Unyielding for one round. (Unyielding - This model gains +2 ARM against melee damage rolls.
This rule changed in 2018.01')
Thoughts on Lord Kozlov, Viscount of Scarsgrad
Lord Kozlov, Viscount of Scarsgrad in a nutshell
Lord Kozlov is the Khador battlebox caster; a straightforward support leader. He is usually the entry point for new players, and his abilities, as well as spells form a nice mixture from Khador's characteristic warcasters:
- He has great combat abilities, and strong damage buffing spells, like Butcher1.
- He fixes battlegroup mobility issues, pretty much like Harkevich
- Great infantry support in his arsenal, just like in case of Irusk1.
This versatility is his downfall too; though he's a great caster to start learning with, most players will switch to a more focused caster as they begin to master the game.
When you play battlebox games, Kozlov usually wins by out-threatening the enemy with his feat and Chosen Ground. In larger games you will pop your feat up to the end of your second turn, as enemy forces will close in on each other usually too fast to allow further delay. Assassinations rarely happen at that stage of the game (unless your opponent did some fatal mistake), but an alpha strike, and the resulting Unyielding bonus gives you edge in the following meat grinder.
- Juggernaut - Your beatstick. Other battlebox heavies can rarely match its raw damage output, and its MAT will enable you good chances of hitting the enemy's heavy hitters. If Critical Freeze triggers, and the target is still alive, you can safely assume that the end-game is near. The Juggernaut will remain a trusty workhorse of any Khador battlegroup in your coming battles with other casters too.
- Decimator - This jack will teach you to proper focus management, when and how much to allocate to achieve best result. POW 15 is pretty great on your gun, and able to blast out chunks even from a Khador Heavy, or severely damage lighter jacks. Don't forget, the pushing from Beat Back is optional - if you plan to charge in with the rest of your force, you don't have to push your target away. Sustained Attack also serves you well if you need to get up close and personal with your target.
Theme Forces Kozlov can support a wide variety of units, with his speed buffs and damage increase. Whichever theme force you prefer, he can handle it.
- Winter Guard Kommand - Probably you'll aim for the min-max approach to get the most Advance Move for your warjacks with the least Winter Guard units. Going first and dropping your feat in the 1st turn puts severe pressure on the enemy. With the right number of units it allows you to move with your battlegroup up to 23" deep on the battlefield, with Winter Guard units hot on your jacks' heels.
- Jaws of the Wolf - No particularly heavy infantry in this list, but you can then spare Fury on one of your jack, which can occasionally be just as effective.
- Legion of Steel - Kozlov buffs their hitting power as well as their mobility. Black Dragons lack the standard IFP's mini feat, but with Tactical Superiority on them they can walk up to 22" (when going first), in ARM21 if needed. Despite being one of the Iron Fangs in the fluff, he is not an Iron Fang model as per the game rules, so the buffs from the various IF characters won't apply on him.
- Armored Korps - The slower, but harder brothers of the IFPs, they really like the 3" reposition - especially if you stack it with the Kovnik's Desperate Pace. Don't forget to bring your Forge Seers either to help you with Incorporeal enemies, or Protectorate battlegroups.
- Wolves of Winter - Perhaps the least appealing theme, as the Greylod Outriders already have built-in Reposition, and Doom Reavers cannot be buffed by your spells However, their threat range bumps up to an awesome 15" under your feat (with Apparition), which is unimaginable with any other caster in the faction. You can also bring the Greylord Ternion and a Koldun Lord to help with accuracy buffs.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Jack of all trades, master of none - which is not necessarily an issue for beginners.
- Tricks denying run and/or charge (Polarity Shield and the like) will put you into disadvantage.
- With all your support duty you can easily run low on FOCUS. Beware Eiryss.
Tricks & Tips
Since he is a battlebox caster, and will often be selected by new players, here are some tricks with him, that will serve you well throughout the later gaming too:
- He has a 13" threat range on a charge, when you use your feat - rising to 15" with side step. Note that additional attacks won't grant you further 2" moves.
- Fury and Tactical Supremacy can be spell cycled to affect two units in a turn. You do this by putting it on a unit the turn before, upkeeping the spell and using that unit first, before activating Kozlov and then putting the spell on a different unit.
- Want to deliver a SPD4 jack to 10" without feat or charge? Cast Tactical Supremacy on it, then Trample forward (4+3"). It will not end your activation, and allows you to use the 3" reposition. This trick will get your SPD4 warjack 2" farther than running.
- A warcaster is always a member of his own battlegroup; thus, Solid Ground affects you too. When this spell is up, Kozlov gets get Pathfinder, and won't get knockdown after passing a Tough check (though the game is probably going to go all awry, if you had to roll Tough for your warcaster).
- Precision Strike allows you to target important systems/aspects - and with weapon master attacks you have pretty good chances of causing significant damage. Usually, you want to go for the Spirit on Warbeasts (counters Forcing), and arc nodes (no spell channeling) or cortices on Warjacks (no power up FOCUS, and no allocating). Going for jack weapons can also be a good idea, as crippling a Revenger's left arm will cancel its Shield advantage too, dropping its overall ARM protection.
- Lord Kozlov, Viscount of Scarsgrad is the battlebox caster for Khador
- Originally released in Prime Mk3 (2016) [Verification needed]
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
Other Khador models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)