|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
The Wraith Engine stalks the battlefields of western Immoren shrouded in the impenetrable shadow of death and pain. Ephemeral and elusive, it can become incorporeal at will or hide its presence in a cloud of ectoplasmic smoke. Like a great, necromechanikal specter, the Wraith Engine appears suddenly among its victims, slashing them to ribbons with its scything talons and drawing their souls into the glowing, green furnace of its innards.
|(★) 20 vs ranged & magic, thanks to Unhallowed|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Scything Blade (x2) - 2" reach, P+S 15 melee weapons. (Effectively P+S 17 with Dark Shroud)
- Battle Engine - All Battle Engines share the same special rules. Most notably being huge, having two fields of fire, and being immune to knock down, stationary, etc.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Incorporeal - This model can walk through walls, terrain, models, and just about anything else. It can't be damaged except by things which have Damage Type: Magical. When it makes a melee or ranged attack it loses Incorporeal until its next activation.
- Rapid Strike - This model can make one additional melee attack each Combat Action.
- Dark Shroud - While in this model's melee range, enemy models suffer -2 ARM.
- Inscrutable - Enemies can't take control of this model for any reason.
- Soul Bondage - Once per round when a living enemy warrior model is destroyed within 2" of the the Wraith Engine, you can replace the destroyed model with a Machine Wraith solo. The destroyed model is RFP'd and does not provide a soul token.
- Unhallowed - While in the Wraith Engine's CMD range, friendly Cryx undead models gain +2 ARM against ranged and magical attacks.
2017.04 Battle Engine CID
- Gained 6hp.
- Lost Cleave, but gained the much more reliable Rapid Strike. Net result is it gets the same number of attacks vs infantry, but one extra attack vs heavier targets.
- Unhallowed now buffs all undead, instead of just Incorporeal, but lost the immunity to blast.
- Soul Bondage RFPs on destroyed, allowing Rapid Strike to activate.
Thoughts on Wraith Engine
Wraith Engine in a Nutshell
The Wraith Engine is a support piece that you take for Unhallowed and Dark Shroud, the occasional Soul Bondage, and the occasional melee attack. It spends most turns running into the best board position to apply Unhallowed and/or Dark Shroud where you need it.
It'd be nice to get into combat more often and with MAT 7 and three P+S 17 attacks it's not bad at combat. The problem is that it is so fragile it depends on Incorporeal and/or keeping its distance to survive, and attacking means you lose that. Also it lacks any capability to boost attack or damage rolls or to buy extra attacks.
Combos & Synergies
- The normal caveat : stuff which makes the enemy easier to hit/damage makes this model perform better at combat.
- The Wraith Engine works well alongside any Undead swarm.
- Necrotechs and Necrosurgeons can repair the Wraith Engine.
- Darragh Wrathe can speed it up with Death Ride.
- Terminus can give it Tough with Shadow of Death.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- It's squishy, even after gaining 6 hp in the 2017 Battle Engine errata.
- To keep it alive, you'll want to keep it Incorporeal. Which means its combat abilities are almost irrelevant most of the time in most of your games.
- Its buffs are passive - you don't need to choose them like the Protectorate BE's miracles, or even as a special action. Instead you just run to where you need it.
- This makes it a bit of a boring model, for what should be one of the centrepieces of your army.
- Being quite dependent on Incorporeal to survive, it has bad match-ups into opponents with lots of magical weapons.
- Your warjacks and that handful of non-undead units will not benefit from Unhallowed.
- It costs as much as a heavy warjack, but with none of the benefits:
Tricks & Tips
- The Unhallowed bonus applies to itself.
- Stay away from Magical Weapons.
- You can trigger Soul Bondage even if the Wraith Engine runs, and it isn't too hard to get a model within 2" depending on how aggressive you are with the WE. Also it's hilarious to turn a repair solo into a Machine Wraith and then possess the jack that solo was supposed to repair.
- To get the full use out of your points investment, you need to strike a fine balance between committing the WE to combat to make a difference, vs hanging back to keep its buffs.
- If you're using it on the flank, you can occasionally go after infantry that your opponent overextended.
- If you're using it to anchor your midline, you should only go into combat vs a heavy that has to die this turn. Because you'll be dead next turn, so you want to make a big dent.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Wrath (2011)
- The Ghost Fleet (Article) (Category)
- Infernal Machines (Article) (Category)
- Dark Host (Article) (Category)
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders