Winter Guard Infantry
|Crucible Guard CID is now live (Edit)||
The Winter Guard make up the majority of the Khadoran military and are found at the core of every garrison and combat force. Their weaponry is practical and places little strain on the Khadoran treasury when produced in bulk. Their short‑ranged blunderbusses fire a heavy slug that packs a powerful punch, particularly when these infantry concentrate their fire.
Rocketeer - Weapon Attachment
Any soldier brave enough to place the colors of the Motherland before his own life is a true patriot.
Officer & Standard - Command Attachment
Druzhina cadets drill day and night, undergoing intense exercises designed to prepare young officers to push their units beyond their known limits.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Winter Guard Infantry
- 3 Other
|Winter Guard Infantry|
|Unit Size|| 6/10|
|Cost|| 6/10 for base unit
2 per WA
4 for the CA
|1.33 per model|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Leader, Grunts, Officer, & Standard
- Blunderbuss - 8" range, POW 12 gun.
- Axe - 0.5" reach, P+S 8 melee weapon.
- Rocket - 14" range, AOE 3, POW 12 gun.
- Brutal Damage - On a direct hit, gain an additional die on this weapon's damage rolls against the target directly hit.
- Axe - As above
- Leader & Grunts
- Combined Ranged Attack - This unit can combine their ranged attacks to get a cumulative +1 bonus on accuracy and damage for each model involved.
- The Officer has +1 MAT, RAT, and 5 hitboxes.
- Combined Ranged Attack - As above
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Granted: Reposition [3"] - While this model is still alive and in formation all of the unit gains Reposition [3"]. (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Grapeshot (Minifeat) - This model can use Grapeshot once per game at any time during its activation. This activation, models in the unit with a Blunderbuss lose CRA and gain Gunfighter. The Blunderbuss becomes Spray 6" instead of Range 8".
- Combined Ranged Attack - As above
- Standard Bearer - While the standard bearer is within 5" of the unit commander, the commander gains +2 CMD.
- Take Up - If this model is killed you may instead remove a Grunt within 1". Remove any effects on this model, and apply any effects that were on the old grunt.
2016.06: Mk2 to Mk3 revision
- Winter Guard Infantry were hit with a nerf cannon since Mk II. They can still spray with grape shot, but it now comes in the package of a "shorter ranged gunfighter spray mini-feat that hits like the blunderbuss but makes you lose combined range attack"... yeah it's quite the change.
- As of January 2017, Winter Guard Infantry became slightly cheaper, allowing you to take a full unit with CA and WA for slightly less than a fully fielded unit of Riflemen. This also drew some salt from Cryx players, as a basic unit of WGI are the same cost per model but vastly superior in combat.
Thoughts on Winter Guard Infantry
Winter Guard Infantry in a nutshell
Their axe can handle other light-medium infantry in a fight, but they'll bounce off anything heavier. CRA is always a good trick to have to pose a threat to heavy armor and models who rely on a high DEF.
Thoughts on adding the CA
The Grapeshot is very useful in certain situations, but nothing too spectacular. Reposition is good for moving out of cover, shooting your Blunderbusses, then moving back out of LOS. Alternatively great for just marching your Winter Guard up the battlefield. Combines nicely with Sorscha2's Desperate Pace to get some incredibly mobile guard.
Thoughts on adding the WA
Rocketeers add some more damage potential to the unit, especially when run with a warcaster that can improve their ability to directly hit. They are definitely required if building a Winter Guard Death Star.
Combos & Synergies
- They want buffs. Especially from their solo, Kovnik Joe.
- They've got a theme force dedicated just to them: Winter Guard Kommand.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Big things will ignore pretty much anything except their rockets.
- Second thought: 3 infantry combined for a range attack basically equals one direct hitting rocket for damage, and is more accurate.
- They die like flies, as given for being the cheapest unit in khador (yes even cheaper than Kossite Woodsmen!)
Tricks and Tips
- Since they're dirt cheap, they can be good for a filler unit.
- Keep in sight that Rocketeers lacks combined attack
- The unit (not including UA or WA) was originally released in Warmachine: Prime mk1 (2003)
- The UA and WA were released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
Other Khador models
Note to Editors