Winter Guard Field Gun Crew
When facing hard targets their brethren cannot handle, the Winter Guard use these Field Guns to level the field.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Winter Guard Field Gun Crew
- 3 Other
|Unit Size|| 1 Gunner|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Blunderbuss - 8" range, POW 12 gun
- Axe - As above
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Man-Sized - This model is on a large base, but is treated as being on a small one.
- Mobile Artillery - When this model moves, it gains additional movement for each Grunt nearby.
- Take Up - If this model is killed you may instead remove a Grunt within 1". Remove any effects on this model, and apply any effects that were on the old grunt.
- They have SPD 4.
Thoughts on Winter Guard Field Gun Crew
Comparison to Mk2
The Field Gun got a lot better at what it was already doing. Crit Knockdown turned into just Knockdown; RNG 16 POW 14 turned into 15/15 respectively; and the changes to light artillery now allows for better mobility and moving before attacking or sacrificing movement for the aiming bonus.
Winter Guard Field Gun Crew in a nutshell
The Field Gun is the more versatile weapon crew in Khador's arsenal but lacks the damage output of its twin the Mortar Crew. With one attack each round the Field Gun looks for heavy targets to knock down and its POW 15 will still put damage on heavies.
The Field Gun is the Winter Guard's support artillery that prioritizes accuracy and utility over raw damage. Knockdown on a stick is very handy in a faction of RAT 4/5 shooting.
Combos & Synergies
Knocked down models become trivial to hit at range even with Khador's low RAT models, making the Field Gun a good starting point for a ranged assassination. If Kovnik Joe is around and you get the chance to aim (and with 15" RNG that does happen) you can get to RAT 9, and as soon as the enemy model is knocked down the RAT of the rest of your army becomes irrelevant.
The Winter Guard Field Gun Crew counts as a Winter Guard unit, so when in the Winter Guard Kommand theme force they count towards free models; can be taken as a free model at 20p; are eligible Sacrificial Pawn targets for the caster; and grant one heavy jack in the army Advanced Move. At 4p they are also the cheapest unit that can be fielded, costing the same as a normal solo.
Drawbacks & Downsides
The Field Gun has the same stats as a normal Winter Guard grunt, so removing it from play is rather trivial. One good deviation on a blast roll or even low POW shooting will kill them instantly. Make sure that you are making the most use of the gun's RNG 15 every turn and keep it away from enemies
Tricks & Tips
- One of the only ranged units that can inflict knockdown just by hitting. Use this to make it easier to hit a target, or to open up a charge for firing lane.
- Due to the fact the the Gun has SPD 2 and gets 2 extra inches from its grunts, the fastest way to move your gun around is to have it charge things. Charge for 7" if you have no viable targets or move 4" and shoot.
Originally released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
Other faction models