Warmonger War Chief
Warmonger War Chief
While all warmongers can goad themselves into a killing frenzy, some few are strong and willful enough to become war chiefs, rising by strength to lead the converted tribes. Blight transforms each of these horrors into a murderous fiend overcome by hunger. The very scent of blood lends the War Chief strength and he will sometimes pause amid his bloodletting to gorge on fresh kills.
|Warmonger War Chief|
- War Cleaver - 2" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Powerful Charge - This models gains +2 to hit on charge attacks with this weapon.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Berserk - When this model destroys one or more models with a melee attack during its Combat Action, immediately after the attack is resolved it must make one additional melee attack against another model in its melee range.
- Leadership [Blighted Ogrun] - Friendly Blighted Ogrun models in this model's CMD range gain Blood Drinker.
- Blood Drinker - Immediately after this model resolves a melee attack in which it destroys one or more living models, it can end its activation and remove d3 damage points.
- Unyielding - This model gains +2 ARM against melee damage rolls.
This rule changed in 2018.01
- Veteran Leader [Blighted Ogrun] - While in this model's CMD range, other friendly Blighted Ogrun models gain +1 to attack rolls.
2018.01 Primal Terrors CID - Buffed
- Cost went down 1 point, gained Unyielding and Powerful Charge
Thoughts on Warmonger War Chief
Warmonger War Chief in a nutshell
The Warmonger War Chief is actually a pretty decent solo in his own right, he just isn't that useful in Legion. He works best into low to medium ARM infantry swarms, but even with a 2" reach, reasonable MAT, Berserk, and okay P+S, he will simply fall short to other similarly costed options in faction. On top of that he also struggles to keep up with the average Legion list, and his medium base and no defensive tech besides Tough makes him easy to shoot to death.
His Veteran Leader and Leadership abilities are nice for Warmongers and Warspears, and amusingly even Thagrosh1/Thagrosh2, but Warmongers have always been a subpar choice of infantry, and Warspears have fallen somewhat out of favor thanks to their low SPD and difficulty in delivering to targets intact. This with luck has changed since Primal Terrors gave the Blighted Ogrun units Vengeance, making them actually effective.
Combos & Synergies
There's rarely reason enough to bring a Warchief on his own since he doesn't have enough individual impact, so you only want to consider him when he's going to have some other Ogrun around to buff.
- As such, he'll mostly be seen in the Primal Terrors theme force, which has plenty of Ogrun.
- Warmongers benefit the most from Blood Drinker as it allows them to end Berserk on command (even at full health), and lack a command attachement like Warspears to buff their MAT which desperately needs a bit of help to hit.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Easy to shoot off the board.
- Their combat potential isn't that of a Deathstalker - they'd be a hard sell at four points but for the Veteran Leader and Leadership abilities. Of course those can be considerable in a Primal Terrors list.
Tricks & Tips
- Even at full HP, you can use Blood Drinker to end your Berserk to prevent you stabbing your own stuff you may have also engaged.
Released in Hordes: Metamorphosis (2009)
Other Legion models
|Warlocks|| Barnabas - Calaban - Dr. Arkadius - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ caster game
|Lesser Warlocks||Rorsh & Brine - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw|
|Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Legion army depends entirely on which minion is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows Crew|
|Solos|| Mist Speaker - Trawler - Croak Hunter - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Gobber Chef - Ogrun Bokur - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
Agata - Eilish Garrity - Gudrun - Maximus - Rorsh & Brine - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher - Sacral Vault|