|Articles you can help complete (Edit)|
I love it when I hear the enemy yell, “Hold the line!” — War Wagon Driver Jormo Kelkun
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Pounder - 12" range, 5" AOE, POW 17 gun.
- Scattergun - 8" spray, POW 12 spray
- Mount - 0.5" reach, POW 14 mount attack.
- Knockdown - When a model is hit by an attack with this weapon, it becomes knocked down.
- Trampling Hooves - This model may make charge attacks with a mount attack.
- Ton of Bricks - A model hit by a non-impact attack with this weapon is slammed d3˝ directly away from this model. The POW of collateral damage is equal to the POW of this weapon.
- Battle Engine - All Battle Engines share the same special rules. Most notably being huge, having two fields of fire, and being immune to knock down, stationary, etc.
- Cavalry - All Cavalry come with a stack of standard special rules, most notably Impact Attacks and auto-boosted charge attacks.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Dual Attack - This model can make both melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Crushing Weight – When it charges, this model is not required to move at least 3˝ to make impact attacks. Instead of making impact attacks only once, this model can make impact attacks each time it contacts a model for the first time during its charge.
- Line Breaker - This model gets an extra die on impact attack rolls.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Shooting Gallery - The War Wagon gains +2 to ranged attack rolls against models within 5" of it.
2017.05 CID - Battle Engine
- Went down in cost by 2 points, gained 14 damage boxes
- Lost Trample Power Attack, but gained Crushing Weight and Line Breaker which turns its Cavalry Impact attacks up to 11.
- The buffalo lost Momentum, but gained auto-knockdown and Ton of Bricks
- Gained Shooting Gallery
Thoughts on War Wagon
Please feel free to update the article and remove this warning.
War Wagon in a nutshell
The War Wagon is a large infantry wrecker - between its big gun and its ability to trample it can pulp infantry like there's no tomorrow. It's also tougher than any Dire Troll and very fast for a Trollblood model.
To demonstrate how powerful the War Wagon is, consider a typical activation:
- Declares a charge
- Contacts a model, declares impact attacks against everything within 0.5" of its front arc (thanks to being a Cavalry model)
- Gets 3d6 for the impact attack rolls (thanks to Line Breaker) that auto-knockdown and deal a POW 14 +2d6 damage roll.
- Rinse and repeat (thanks to Crushing Weight) until you either reach your charge target, or fail to kill something within the charge lane.
- After finally completing the charge move, you get to make a charge attack with the mount (thanks to Trampling Hooves).
- You get 3d6 for the charge attack roll (thanks to being a Cavalry model), that auto-knockdowns, auto-slams (thanks to Ton of Bricks), and deals a POW 14 +3d6 damage roll (damage boosted from the charge)
- Oh, and if you slam the charge target into something else, you can get an extra damage die vs the target and/or do POW 14 +2d6 vs the something else.
- Then it starts shooting (thanks to Dual Attack), getting +2 to hit anything within 5" (thanks to Shooting Gallery)
- Then it repositions into a better position to do it all again next round.
That's what it does every turn, before you start buffing it. With buffs its performance can only go up.
Combos & Synergies
- Krielstone? Krielstone. Krielstone!
- In fact, any armor buff is likely to put it in the range where unbuffed, unboosted attacks don't do much damage.
- Shooting will often leave it dinged up but alive, so it enjoys the company of a Gobber Tinker.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- It can't boost ranged attack or damage
- Given that its impact and charge attacks are autoboosted and leave prone targets to shoot at, this is somewhat mitigated.
- The trample can be stopped by one bad roll
- Quake on the Pounder relies on it hitting first. Which can be ... challenging.
- It doesn't break heavy enemies.
- As every other battle engine, it is not part of your battlegroup, thus cannot benefit from spells and feats, which affect your warbeasts.
Crushing Weight makes the Wagon a hard model to stop, but there's a few things you can try:
- A direct debuff against its movement
- A "soft" debuff with a SPD penalty, that will reduce how far it can charge (such as Crippling Grasp).
- A "hard" debuff that prevents advances and/or charges, so it can't charge at all (such as Shadowbind).
- More esoteric debuffs, like using Telekinesis to spin it around so it can't see charge targets.
- You can block it with a model it can't reliably kill.
- Remember, with boosted attack rolls it can reliably hit DEF 16, and with POW 14 it can reliably roll 20-21 damage.
- You can't block it with Tough models, since it knocks you down before the damage roll (unless you have some way of ignoring knockdown)
- So, to block it, you're really looking for a fast light warjack of reasonable durability. Fast so it can jam it quickly, and durable so it's not trivially removed prior to the Carriage's activation.
- The second thing you can try is board positioning. Because every time it pauses to make an impact attack, that has to be a legal position to stop. It can't pause on top of terrain or other models (even if it has a rule that allows it to move over/through that terrain/model.
- For example, even though the Carriage has Pathfinder and can charge over obstacles, this doesn't let it stop halfway on top of an obstacle to make impact attacks.
- You can line up your troops behind obstacles, far enough away that it can't attack them in melee, but close enough that there's no room for it to "land" on the other side of the obstacle.
- If you have Incorporeal models, a few them scattered around in front of it can really eliminate all potential "landing zones".
Tricks & Tips
- When you slam something, it's knocked down. Finally, a target you can hit!
- Even more appealing if it's near a target that's harder to hit.
- Note that a failed charge is a bummer if you're saving the Pounder for after you charge, so don't count on any survivors getting knocked more than 3" back.
- If you charge a target and get base-to-base, you can hit it with an impact attack, knock it down (and follow it, if it's small or medium: hopefully you have movement left), and then autohit with your charge attack. It's not the best model to eliminate solos, but two boosted attacks with respectable damage (and some guns to finish the job) will take care of a variety of targets.
- Originally released in Hordes: Domination, 2011 November
Other Trollblood models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|
| Mount Weapon
Impact Attacks - Movement
Impact Attacks - The attack(s)
Impact Attacks - Other