The Withershadow Combine
Cloaked in darkness, this group of iron liches have stalked western Immoren and ripped its arcane secrets out of the shadows for over five centuries. This trio acts as one of the more subtle and precise instruments in Cryx's arsenal. Through rites unknown to any others, they may dismantle warjacks with frightening ease. The Combine then corrupts the cortex and summons in 'jacks from the Nightmare Empire to wreak havoc on the living.
|The Withershadow Combine|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Lich Claws - 0.5" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Entire Unit
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Attached - Before the start of the game, attach this model to a friendly Faction warcaster for the rest of the game. Each Faction warcaster can only have one model/unit attached to it.
- Soul Taker: Soul Cage - This model collects souls from living enemies who die near it. This model can store up to three souls and spend them for the following:
- Strength of Death - This model may spend soul tokens to boost attack or damage rolls.
- Maelovus only
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Magic Ability [ 7 ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast spells. Offensive spells are a (★ Attack) and friendly spells are a (★ Action).
- Dark Fire (★ Attack) - 10" range, POW 12 attack. If it kills a living enemy model then the caster gets the soul regardless of the proximity of other Soul Takers.
- Spell Slave (★ Action) or (★ Attack) - While in its controlling warcaster/warlock's control area, this model may cast a single spell from their boss's spell card. There are several limits on what type of spells can be cast.
- Admonia only
- Tremulus only
- Magic Ability - As above
- Dark Fire - As above
- Puppet Master (★ Action) OR (★ Attack) - Puppet Master is a RNG 10 spell. when it targets an enemy model/ulit,it is a magic attack. You can have one affected model reroll one attack or damage roll, then puppet expires. Puppet Master lasts for one round.
- Magic Ability - As above
Thoughts on The Withershadow Combine
The Withershadow Combine in a nutshell
The Withershadow Combine is comprised of Maelovus (the officer), Admonia, and Tremulus. They're primarily a support unit, although to get the most use out of your points investment you should try and kill the occasional grunt with Dark Fire (the Combine can make a surprisingly effective gunline after grabbing a few souls). They generally stick behind your front lines, using Stealth and their naturally high DEF and ARM to avoid harm. From this back position they can support your warcaster with Black Arts and Puppet Master.
Puppet Master is normally thrown on your 'caster to allow them to reroll a game-critical attack roll, or on a friendly 'jack just prior to stomping face. If you're playing a little more aggressively, it's nice to put on an enemy 'jack/'beast and force them to re-roll a game-critical roll.
Combos & Synergies
The Withershadow Combine are a great addition to any Cryx force, as Black Arts makes every caster more efficient. Of course some warcasters have fewer upkeep spells available than others and they may not be casting them at all, let alone upkeeping them every turn.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Relatively high point cost - although they're worth every point, it can be hard to fit them into smaller games.
- If you're too cautious with them, they won't make their points back.
- If you're too aggressive with them, they'll die before being useful.
- Too popular! In a character-restricted tournament, you'll have a tough decision choosing which warcaster they should get assigned to!
- Spell Slave isn't as great as it seems: as well as the "obvious" restrictions listed on the card (no upkeeps, no SELF, no CTRL, no COST 4+), you're also limited by the definition of "spellcaster" which renders almost every support spell Maelovus could cast as near-useless. Why? Well basically if the spell description includes a sentence that has "the spellcaster's battlegroup" or "the spellcaster's control area" you have to mentally delete that sentence from the spell effects, because Maelovus has neither. For example:
- Excarnate lets you RFP an enemy and create a free grunt in your control area? Nope! Maelovus gets to RFP them but he can't create a freebie.
- Siphon Bolt lets you remove focus from the enemy and have the spellcaster gain it? Nope! Maelovus gets to remove the point of focus but no one gets to gain it.
- And so on and so forth.
Tricks & Tips
- Activate them near the start of your turn, to make sure you have Puppet Master in play before you try something risky!
- Originally released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
- Sculptor: Jeff Grace
- Although many other Factions now have it, the Puppet Master ability was original to Tremulus, and he is actually sculpted with a puppet.
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders
Rules Clarification : The Withershadow Combine
| Important Note
Who does the casting
When/how does a Spell Slave cast
What spells can they choose to cast
How can they boost the spell