Vyros, Incissar of the Dawnguard
|Crucible Guard CID is now live (Edit)||
The Retribution of Scyrah has no greater champion than Vyros of House Nyarr. The leader of the Dawnguard rides to war astride his powerful warhorse Solarys, his hunting hawk circling overhead. Through her eyes he sees the battlefield unobstructed, allowing Vyros to direct his army rapidly to close gaps in the line or capture critical ground, ensuring he is never outmaneuvered in battle.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Analysis of Vyros, Incissar of the Dawnguard
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Extremus Cannon - 10" range, POW 12, gun
- Extremus - 2" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon
- Mount - 0.5" reach, POW 12 mount attack
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Cavalry - All Cavalry come with a stack of standard special rules, most notably Impact Attacks and auto-boosted charge attacks.
- Bird's Eye - Battlegroup models in control range ignore clouds, forests and intervening models for line of sight.
- Quick Work - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a melee attack during its Combat Action, immediately after that attack is resolved this model can make one basic ranged attack.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Veteran Leader [[[Dawnguard]]] - While in this model's CMD range, other friendly Dawnguard models gain +1 to attack rolls.
Deceleration - Cost 3
- For one round, friendly Faction models in the caster's CTRL range gain +2 ARM against ranged and magic attacks.
Easy Rider - Cost 3
- Vyros and friendly Faction models beginning their activation in his CTRL range gain Pathfinder. Lasts for one turn.
Lock The Target - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 10
- If Vyros damages the target with this spell, for one round it cannot run, charge, slam, trample, or be placed.
Synergy - Cost 2, Range SELF, Upkeep
- While in the caster's CTRL range, their battlegroup gain a +1 cumulative bonus on melee attack & damage rolls, up to a limit of 3, for each other battlegroup model that hit an enemy in melee this turn while in the caster's CTRL range.
Twister - Cost 2, 10" range, 3" AOE, POW 10
- The AOE is also a cloud that remains in play for one round.
Feat : Tide of War
When one or more friendly Faction models is destroyed or RFP'd by an enemy attack while in Vyros's control range, at any time except while advancing (ie dying to a free strike), immediately afterwards a friendly Faction model in Vyros' control range can advance 3". Tides of War lasts for one round.
Analysis of Vyros, Incissar of the Dawnguard
Vyros, Incissar of the Dawnguard in a nutshell
Maximising his Feat & Spells
Typical Army & Strategy
- Light-jack spam
- Thank you oh great pirates at privateer press for Helios the savior of the Griffin swarm. Yes the swarm is still a thing, but it might not be as efficient as a Sphinx swarm due to the new cap on Synergy. The reason Helios works is because of his nifty little ability to drop one focus to give one to every happy jack in your army that is within 3" of him.
- Dude spam
- If you really want you can go solider spam well good news you can! The downside is that Synergy becomes much less useful and your jacks become way more precious and valuable rather than just your kids toys you can break and not feel bad.
- Griffon - The Griffon brings a combination of long distance, accurate charges and survivability that is hard to beat. Excellent way of building Synergy, with it maxed they are capable of killing squishier heavy beasts in an activation but don't quite match the output of dedicated heavies.
- Sphinx - The Sphinx brings the punch of a heavy for a low price point (three Griffons is comparable to two Sphinx). They're tough, have a gun to get stuff done when you don't want to commit them, and once you tack on Synergy will break apart even the heaviest of armour.
- Imperatus - Imperatus is still Vyros' best friend, having the highest damage output and being the most survivable of all the Retribution jacks, excepting the colossals. Watch out for Grievous Wounds denying his healing.
- Manticore - For a little more then the Sphinx you lose out slightly in melee potential but gain a much better gun. Jack heavy lists traditionally have a weakness to Weapon Master infantry, and the Covering Fire wall helps to mitigate this.
- Aspis - Vyros is a large based caster, and as a result hard to block line of sight to. The Aspis can save you from the worst guns out there for little investment.
- Other jacks - Gorgons speed debuffing can help prevent melee engagements. Both the Banshee and Phoenix are good all round jacks, but Vyros does value their additional tools highly. When Helios is released expect it to show up frequently in jack spam lists.
- Units and Solos
- Arcanist Mechanik - Three is almost an auto include with Vyros, every ability they bring is useful for a caster who likes his warjacks.
- Lanyssa Ryssyl - Free charges and charging further are always good to have with a jack heavy list. The other abilities are less commonly used but being able to knock out a key model or remove pathfinder are potentially game winning when they come up.
- Dawnguard Invictors - High accuracy and damage shooting. Clear out charge lanes, soften up beasts/jacks, hunt support pieces, they are useful in every game and if the worst happens they can always feed the feat.
- Dawnguard Sentinels - Deceleration helps to deliver them, and having Weapon Masters that accurate is borderline unfair. Expensive and less flexible then Invictors, but their damage output is unrivaled and demands attention, taking fire away from the rest of the list.
- House Vyre Electromancers - If you are planing on bringing lots of heavies or a colossal the Electromancers become a highly effective clearing unit. By shooting your jacks in the back you can ensure that their Lightning Generator shots will always land, mitigating the low armour but high defence jammers that your jacks can have trouble dealing with efficiently. Don't try this with Griffons, even with Deceleration up their armour is low enough in the back arc you risk causing significant damage.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- He's big and likes shouting "look at my horse!".
- He isn't the best at combat mostly because he'll just get tied up, so unless you have no other choice keep him back and make some pop shots.
Tricks and Tips
- To maximise your Quick Work attacks, try to charge into a group of knocked down enemies (so that you're not engaged).
- Quick Work doesn't trigger on Impact Attacks
Changes from Mk II
Griffon spam is dead! Long live the Sphinx spam! On a more serious note, Synergy is still a thing, but you are no longer required to dedicate the entire list to maximizing it, allowing for the inclusion of more heavies or other units, resulting in a more varied force. Easy Rider now works properly, while Deflection changing to Deceleration and affecting jacks makes the army quite survivable at range. He benefits immensely from the core rule changes (Power Up and the new focus boosting rules), and while Ride-by Attacks will be missed, Reposition works almost as well most of the time.
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Defenders of Ios (Article) (Category)
- Legions of Dawn (Article) (Category)
- Shadows of the Retribution (Article) (Category)
Retribution of Scyrah Models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Eilish Garrity - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
| Mount Weapon
Impact Attacks - Movement
Impact Attacks - The attack(s)
Impact Attacks - Other