Vyros, Incissar of the Dawnguard
The Retribution of Scyrah has no greater champion than Vyros of House Nyarr. The leader of the Dawnguard rides to war astride his powerful warhorse Solarys, his hunting hawk circling overhead. Through her eyes he sees the battlefield unobstructed, allowing Vyros to direct his army rapidly to close gaps in the line or capture critical ground, ensuring he is never outmaneuvered in battle.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Analysis of Vyros, Incissar of the Dawnguard
- 3 Retribution of Scyrah Models
|Vyros, Incissar of the Dawnguard|
|Relative HP||Above Average|
Weapons & Attacks
- Extremus Cannon - Average range, good damage.
- Extremus - Long range melee weapon, high damage.
- Mount - Close range melee attack, average damage.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Cavalry - All Cavalry come with a stack of standard special rules, most notably Impact Attacks and auto-boosted charge attacks.
- Bird's Eye - Battlegroup models in control range ignore clouds, forests and intervening models for line of sight.
- Quick Work - If this model destroys something in melee it can make a free ranged attack.
- Reposition - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to its stated value, then its activation ends.
- Veteran Leader (Dawnguard) - While in this model's command range, other friendly Dawnguard models gain +1 to attack rolls.
- Deceleration - Friendly Faction models gain an ARM bonus against ranged and magic attacks while within spellcaster's control range.
- Easy Rider - Give Pathfinder to friendly Faction models in the spellcaster's control range.
- Lock The Target - Average range magic attack, deals low damage and the damaged model cannot run, charge, slam or trample.
- Synergy - Upkeep spell which gives battlegroup models an attack and damage buff that starts at 0 each turn, and increases when they hit enemies in melee, up to +3.
- Twister - Cheap, average range and pow offensive spell with a small AOE. The AOE is a cloud effect that remains in play for one round.
- Tide of War - A friendly Faction model in Vyros' control range can move a short distance each time a friendly Faction model is destroyed or removed by an enemy attack.
Analysis of Vyros, Incissar of the Dawnguard
Vyros, Incissar of the Dawnguard in a nutshell
Common army selection
- Griffon - The Griffon brings a combination of long distance, accurate charges and survivability that is hard to beat. Excellent way of building Synergy, with it maxed they are capable of killing squishier heavy beasts in an activation but don't quite match the output of dedicated heavies.
- Sphinx - The Sphinx brings the punch of a heavy for a low price point (three Griffons is comparable to two Sphinx). They're tough, have a gun to get stuff done when you don't want to commit them, and once you tack on Synergy will break apart even the heaviest of armour.
- Imperatus - Imperatus is still Vyros' best friend, having the highest damage output and being the most survivable of all the Retribution jacks, excepting the colossals. Watch out for Grievous Wounds denying his healing.
- Manticore - For a little more then the Sphinx you lose out slightly in melee potential but gain a much better gun. Jack heavy lists traditionally have a weakness to Weapon Master infantry, and the Covering Fire wall helps to mitigate this.
- Aspis - Vyros is a large based caster, and as a result hard to block line of sight to. The Aspis can save you from the worst guns out there for little investment.
- Other jacks - Gorgons speed debuffing can help prevent melee engagements. Both the Banshee and Phoenix are good all round jacks, but Vyros does value their additional tools highly. When Helios is released expect it to show up frequently in jack spam lists.
- Units and Solos
- Arcanist Mechanik - Three is almost an auto include with Vyros, every ability they bring is useful for a caster who likes his warjacks.
- Lanyssa Ryssyl - Free charges and charging further are always good to have with a jack heavy list. The other abilities are less commonly used but being able to knock out a key model or remove pathfinder are potentially game winning when they come up.
- Dawnguard Invictors - High accuracy and damage shooting. Clear out charge lanes, soften up beasts/jacks, hunt support pieces, they are useful in every game and if the worst happens they can always feed the feat.
- Dawnguard Sentinels - Deceleration helps to deliver them, and having Weapon Masters that accurate is borderline unfair. Expensive and less flexible then Invictors, but their damage output is unrivaled and demands attention, taking fire away from the rest of the list.
- House Vyre Electromancers - If you are planing on bringing lots of heavies or a colossal the Electromancers become a highly effective clearing unit. By shooting your jacks in the back you can ensure that their Lightning Generator shots will always land, mitigating the low armour but high defence jammers that your jacks can have trouble dealing with efficiently. Don't try this with Griffons, even with Deceleration up their armour is low enough in the back arc you risk causing significant damage.
Drawbacks and Downsides
Tricks and Tactics
Changes from Mk II
Griffon spam is dead! Long live the Sphinx spam! On a more serious note, synergy is still a thing, but you are no longer required to dedicate the entire list to maximizing it, allowing for the inclusion of more heavies or other units, resulting in a more varied force. Easy rider now works properly, while Deflection changing to Deceleration and affecting jacks makes the army quite survivable at range. He benefits immensely from the core rule changes (Power Up and the new focus boosting rules), and while Ride-by Attacks will be missed, Reposition works almost as well most of the time.
Retribution of Scyrah Models
|Retribution of Scyrah - Faction models (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Rahn1 - Vyros1 - Vyros2 - Elara2 - Garryth1 - Issyria1 - Kaelyssa1 - Ossyan1 - Ravyn1 - Thyron1 - Helynna1|
|Warcaster attachments||Sylys Wyshnalyrr (Retribution) - Madelyn Corbeau (Mercenary)|
|Other Controllers||Elara1 (BGC)|
|Light warjacks|| Aspis - Chimera - Gorgon - Griffon|
|Heavy warjacks|| Banshee - Daemon - Hydra - Manticore - Phoenix - Sphinx|
Discordia - Hypnos - Imperatus
|Colossal||Hyperion - Helios|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units|| Destors - Invictors - Sentinels - Heavy Rifle Team - Swordsmen - Battle Mages - Electromancers - Halberdiers - Riflemen - Infiltrators - Strike Force Stormfall Archers|
Special: Eiryss3 (CA) - Soulless Escort (WA)
|Solos|| Arcanist Mechanik - Destor Thane - Sentinel Scyir - Ghost Sniper - Artificer - Magister - Houseguard Thane - Lys Healer - Assassin - Soulless Voidtracer|
Eirrys1 - Eiryss2 - Elara1 - Issyen - Narn - Nayl
|Battle Engines||Arcantrik Force Generator|
|Retibution of Scyrah - Mercenary/Minion models (Edit)|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|