Vladimir Tzepesci, the Dark Champion
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
After nearly dying in battle against Cryx in the Thornwood, Vladmir Tzepesci, the Dark Prince, was rescued and nursed back to health by the Old Witch over many months. When he awoke from his slumber he found the Old Witch had restored his body and taught him much through his dreams about the power of kings and how to command the wind and sky. Before leaving the Witch's lair, he was commanded to reforge his ruined weapons into a blade as powerful as those wielded in the time of the true kings. The greatsword Dominion is the result of Vladmir's toils to meet this command. He emerged from the Old Witch's lair a true champion of Khador. He stands ready to aid the Old Witch when he is most needed to protect the motherland from the dangers few mortal men realize imperil their lives.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Vlad2
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Dominion - 2" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Great Power - This model can upkeep one spell each turn for free.
- Might of Kings - Vladimir gains +2 STR & +2 ARM while damaged. If he is ever damaged by a friendly model, he loses Might of Kings for the rest of the game.
- Righteous Vengeance - If a friendly Faction model dies within 5" model, next turn this model gets a free 3" move and melee attack during the maintenance phase.
Feat : Blood Legacy
Choose d3 + 3 friendly Faction non-character warrior models currently in Vladimir's control range. Those models gain +3 SPD, STR, MAT, RAT, DEF, and ARM for one round.
- Arcane Might - Cost 2, Upkeep
- While in the caster's CTRL range, friendly Faction warrior models can spend focus currently on the caster to boost melee attack or melee damage rolls during their activations.
- Assail - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction warjack can charge, slam, or trample for free and gains +2" when it does so. Also, if it does a slam, the slammed model is moved +2".
- Hand of Fate - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target Faction model/unit gains an extra die on all attack and damage rolls, then discards the lowest.
- Martial Paragon - Upkeep spell which gives Vladimir an extra die on melee attack rolls and Parry. (Parry - This model cannot be targeted by free strikes.)
- Razor Wind - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 12
- This spell has no special effects.
- Wind Blast - Cost 2
- Place a 5" AOE anywhere in the caster's CTRL range. It immediately removes clouds it touches, and models can't make ranged attacks while standing in it. The AOE remains in play for one round.
Thoughts on Vlad2
Vlad2 in a nutshell
Vlad 2 is a ranged-denial caster, and a solo polisher second to none. Ever wanted to boost attack and damage rolls on models other than Jacks? Well, he is the caster for you. Vlad2 takes models like Drakhuns and Eliminators, who already have extremely good base stats, and makes them insane for a single turn. That makes him chiefly concerned with his feat turn, but he also has quite a potent spell list with strong game against gunlines. As the feat is limited to non-character warrior models you will be filling your lists with models that can (hopefully) get multiple attacks to make the most out of the feat turn. Keep in mind though you want quality pieces as targets for the feat as you are limited to d3+3 models.
Tim Banky, Professional Tournament Winner (though one of those tournaments was his own, and we have not independently verified how much money he has made "professionally")
This is a weird one to talk about, because it really is unlike the other 3 Khador archetypes. It can play in the new Man-o-War Armored Korps theme, taking Nyss Hunters or Eliminators as your Merc options, or it can play in the Wolves of Winter theme with the same merc options but leveraging Outriders. A third option is playing completely out of theme to combine togethers things like minimum Winterguard, Shocktroopers, Eliminators, and Ruin.
At its core this list is an evolution of a MK1 giant. Vlad, with his incredible set of personal tools, uses his feat to create a feeling of impossible pressure, gains the upperhand on attrition, and then uses Hand of Fate strategically to act as both a hit- and a damage-fixer for any of the generalist elements in the list, but especially guns.
It took me a little longer to type this one out, because while it feels quite specific, it really doesn't fit into another category of Khador list and requires specific understanding both to pilot and to play against. There's some cute tech, like the use of Orin Midwinter, and some really powerful choices, like having a Conquest in the battlegroup. The core of the list is about leveraging Vlad's specific tools to bolster melee threats (Drakhuns, Eliminators, Shocktroopers), long-range guns (Valachev Nyss, Winterguard), and a single jack.
- Arcane Might: Generally cast first turn and then upkept into the late game. Boosting the attack or damage rolls of key warrior attacks allows for some extra pressure to be applied where it is needed. Doom Reavers can boost their attack rolls to keep the Berserk chain going, or some extra damage on melee models who are already dug in and can't get a charge off.
- Assail: Vlad's Jack threat extender has the added benefit of increasing slam distance which makes a Marauder a decent choice as it has synergy with the combo slam. Crab jacks (the Demolisher and Devastator) can also slam without opening up their shells.
- Hand of Fate: Cast it on the unit that is going to get the charge off and watch your odds shift in your favor slightly. Dropping the lowest die is generally thought of as approximately a +1.5 bonus to the roll, or some like to say that you are basically always going to get average to above average on your rolls. Not so good for crit fishing, as you have to drop the lowest die always, but great for models with multiple attacks, or axe slinging maniacs with access to Thresher, and like-minded jacks.
- Martial Paragon: Vlad's panic button/meat grinder spell. By casting this you will automatically drop your other upkeep, Arcane Might, so don't bother upkeeping that turn. Boosted attack rolls and Parry allows Vlad to go on the offensive himself and try for assassinations or walk out of a melee he does not want to be in. Oh, and Threshing around with an extra die is just sweet.
- Razor Wind: Your sole means of inflicting damage at range. Apart from occasional incorporeal model hunting outside your charge range, you'll rarely use this zap.
- Wind Blast: Your #1 ranged deterrent, and the tool to win against gunlines. See Tricks and Tips to get the most out of it.
The feat is best used to get off an alpha strike with your super powered warrior models. Between +3 SPD; MAT; and STR they will hit extremely hard, and probably survive well into your opponents turn thanks to +3 DEF and ARM. Use the time where your opponent is trying to deal with your feated models to hit them as hard as you can, you need to win out on the attrition game on feat turn or the following turn.
You cannot regard this section without his feat. First half of the game will boil down to move up and silence the enemy's most dangerous guns with Wind Blasts, while getting into position to pop your feat. From here, you can go either to attrition, outlasting your enemy with your superbly defended solos, or straight assassination. Anyway, this list also has serious scenario pressure, as you can force the opponents to keep his valuable models hidden, or away from the reach of your potentially wrecker models. The amount of models eligible for buffing range from 4 to 6, so you always better to aim for the minimum you require to carry out your plans, and adjust your tactics accordingly, if you have extra units to put on Blood Legacy.
You will almost always start picking the best non-character solos (and smaller units) with this variant of Vlad.
- Kayazy Eliminators are exceptional models for his feat as they become DEF 20 in melee and stealth against ranged with 2 very respectable POW 14 MAT 12 attacks. Just remember that there are 2 in the unit so if you feat one it is probably best to feat the other or else lose out on gang.
- Man-o-War_Drakhuns become ARM 23 while mounted and hit with a POW 17 weapon master attack at MAT 11. Also, knockdown effects won't stop him from bringing the pain.
- Man-o-War Kovniks can switch from supporting other Man-O-Wars to unleash a catastrophe if positioned correctly.
- Manhunters are fast, weapon master solos with good survivability and 2 initial melee attacks
- Saxon Orrik - rough terrain patches can really ruin his day; make sure you can deliver your most important models
- Sylys - two free upkeeps leave you with all the more focus for Arcane Might
Of course, you'll need an army to help them too.
- Greylord models can help you dealing with Incorporeal models, and the Greylord Forge Seer can hand out magic damage source to his jack.
- Gun Carriage - you can be prone to fast, jamming models. Some strategically placed Crater template can hold them back.
- Widowmaker Scouts - overall your lists don't offer much support for your own ranged units; Widowmakers can operate well on their own.
- Doom Reavers were already mentioned. It is tempting to include IFPs or heavier Man-o-War units (especially in their respective theme force), however Vlad has nothing to increase their mobility.
There are also some warjack point that should be spent:
- Spriggan - Your army can hardly do anything against stealthy targets; the Spriggan can alleviate this danger. The other 2 clamjacks are also worthy for consideration.
- Conquest - its Creeping Barrage is a pretty good deterrent against jamming infantry, while Assail ensures you a minimum of 5" slamming (if it is the best course of action). Also, free charger or slam up to 11" is not something you would turn down on a colossal.
- Drago - your trusty character jack, who really likes assail.
- Beast-09 - already mentioned for its outstanding Thresher capability under Hand of Fate. Add in Murderous to the mix, and it will hardly if ever going to miss, even against the most elusive targets.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- His army is vulnerable to rough terrain tricks and speed debuffs
- Outside of the feat he offers little defensive bonus for his army, and no movement bonus apart from Assail.
- Random amount of enhanced models make your feat a bit risky. Do not overextend yourself.
- Might of Kings can be a trap; do not expose Vlad without a good reason to enemy attacks.
Tricks & Tips
- If you have a unit with CRA/CMA, put Blood Legacy on the model who is conducting the attack - all the additional bonuses will be added to his enhanced stats.
Just a few note about Wind Blast's applications:
- If you stay, you can't shoot. If you move, you can't aim. Use this against models with Arcane Precision to deliver your stealthy models.
- Open up Trencher or Swamp Gobber smoke wall for your guns and chargers.
- Cast it in front of shooters to dictate the direction of their movement, if they want to use their guns.
- Cast it directly on a SPD4 model with huge base (like the AFG, a Conquest or a Judicator to shut down its shooting potential completely. The AFG is especially vulnerable, as it has to remain still to get the extra range on itself from Focused Power.
- Cast it on your troops, which are already engaged with, or will likely to be engaged by Gunfighters. Watch without giggle as Gun Mages try to put their ceremonial blade to use.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Apotheosis (2005)
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
Other faction models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
| Resolving the attack|
Under this heading, the word "Thresher" is used interchangeably for "Flashing Blade" and "Cyclone" too
Flashing Blade only