Vladimir Tzepesci, the Dark Champion
After nearly dying in battle against Cryx in the Thornwood, Vladmir Tzepesci, the Dark Prince, was rescued and nursed back to health by the Old Witch over many months. When he awoke from his slumber he found the Old Witch had restored his body and taught him much through his dreams about the power of kings and how to command the wind and sky. Before leaving the Witch's lair, he was commanded to reforge his ruined weapons into a blade as powerful as those wielded in the time of the true kings. The greatsword Dominion is the result of Vladmir's toils to meet this command. He emerged from the Old Witch's lair a true champion of Khador. He stands ready to aid the Old Witch when he is most needed to protect the motherland from the dangers few mortal men realize imperil their lives.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Vladimir Tzepesci, the Dark Champion
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Dominion - 2" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Great Power - This model can upkeep one spell each turn for free.
- Might of Kings - Vladimir gains bonus STR & ARM while damaged. If he is ever damaged by a friendly model, he loses Might of Kings for the rest of the game.
- Righteous Vengeance - If a friendly Faction model dies within 5" model, next turn this model gets a free 3" move and melee attack during the maintenance phase.
Feat : Blood Legacy
Choose d3 + 3 friendly Faction non-character warrior models currently in Vladimir's control range. Those models gain +3 SPD, STR, MAT, RAT, DEF, and ARM for one round.
- Arcane Might - Upkeep spell that allows friendly faction warrior models to spend focus currently on the caster to boost melee attack or damage rolls.
- Assail - Upkeep spell that lets a warjack charge, slam, or trample for free and with increased range. Also, models are slammed further.
- Hand of Fate - COST 2, RNG 6" UPKEEP
- Target Faction model/unit gains an extra die on all attack and damage rolls, then discards the lowest.
- Martial Paragon - Upkeep spell which gives Vladimir an extra die on melee attack rolls and Parry. (Parry - This model cannot be targeted by free strikes.)
- Razor Wind - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 12.
- This spell has no special effects.
- Wind Blast - Place a large AOE anywhere in the caster's CTRL. It immediately removes clouds it touches, and models can't make ranged attacks while standing in it.
Thoughts on Vladimir Tzepesci, the Dark Champion
Vlad2 is chiefly concerned with his feat turn. He is a caster who takes Khador's already impressive list of solo's and warrior models and makes them truly terrifying for a round. As the feat is limited to non-character warrior models you will be filling your lists with models that can (hopefully) get multiple attacks to make the most out of the feat turn. Keep in mind though you want quality pieces as targets for the feat as you are limmited to d3+3 models.
Comparison to Mk2
Vladimir Tzepesci, the Dark Champion in a nutshell
Ever wanted to boost attack and damage rolls on models other thsn Jacks? Well Vlad2 is the caster for you. He makes models like Drakhun's and Eliminator's who already have extremely good base stats and makes them insane for a single turn.
Thoughts on when & how to best use his feat and spells
The feat is best used to get off an alpha strike with your super powered warrior models. Between +3 SPD; MAT; and STR they will hit extremely hard, and probably survive well into your opponents turn thanks to +3 DEF and ARM. Use the time where your opponent is trying to deal with your feated models to hit them as hard as you can, you need to win out on the atrition game on feat turn or the following turn.
Vlad2's spell list is mostly fire and forget. Several upkeep's that you will hand out first turn and keep up all game and the rest of his focus generally kept in reserve to keep him safe and boost other warrior models attack and damage rolls with arcane might.
- Arcane Might: Generally cast first turn and then upkept into the late game. Boosting the attack or damage rolls of key warrior attacks allows for some extra pressure to be applied where it is needed. Of particular note is letting Doom Reavers boost their attack rolls to keep the Berserk chain going, or some extra damage on melee models who are already dug in and can't get a charge off.
- Assail: Vlad's Jack threat extender has the added benefit of increasing slam distance which makes a Marauder a decent choice as it has synergy with the combo slam.
- Hand of Fate: Cast it on the unit that is going to get the charge off and watch your odds shift in your favor slightly. Dropping the lowest die is generally thought of as approximately a +1.5 bonus to the roll, or some like to say that you are basically always going to get average to above average on your rolls.
- Martial Paragon: Vlad's panic button. By casting this you will automatically cancel Arcane Might because they both are range self upkeep's so don't bother upkeeping that turn. Boosted attack rolls and Parry allows Vlad to go on the offense himself and try for assassinations or walk out of a melee he does not want to be in.
- Razor Wind: No ranged weapon on Vlad so you can consider this your pathetic replacement for a hand cannon. You would think a prince could afford a sidearm though...
- Wind Blast: Allows Vlad's army to clear LOS to an opponent trying to cloud wall you. Won't come up every game, but the games that it does it will be of huge importance.
Typical Army & Strategy
Having good solos are a good idea with this variant of Vlad.
- Kayazy Eliminators are exceptional models for his feat as they become DEF 20 in melee and stealth against ranged with 2 very respectable POW 14 MAT 12 attacks. Just remember that there are 2 in the unit so if you feat one it is probably best to feat the other or else loose out on gang.
- Man-O-War Drakhun's become ARM 23 while mounted and hit with a POW 17 weapon master attack at MAT 11.
- Man-O-War Kovnik's can switch from supporting other Man-O-War's to unleash a catastrophe if positioned correctly.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
It's all about the feat with Vlad2. A good turn will see a crushing alpha strike with 6 models tearing into your opponent. A bad feat turn can see 4 models charging an opponent who has hidden his high priority target where you won't be able to get them.
Tricks & Tips
- Originally released in Warmachine: Apotheosis (2005)
Themes for generic casters (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
Other faction models