Pitching enormous spears with bone-crushing force, impalers are the living ballistae of the trolls. Each carries a quiver of massive wood-and-iron projectiles bearing only the most basic resemblance to the puny twigs smaller races call spears. These savage implements obliterate men and knock even the greatest beasts off their feet.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Troll Impaler
- 3 Other
Weapons and Attacks
- Thrown Spear - Ranged attack: 8", POW 13.
- Critical Smite - On a critical hit, the model hit can be slammed d6" directly away from this model. If the model hit has a larger base than the attacking model, it is moved only half the distance rolled. The POW of collateral damage is equal to the STR of this model.
- Thrown - If this model has a STR buff/debuff, it is added to the POW of this weapon.
- Battle Spear - 2" melee RNG, P+S 13.
- Light Warbeast
- Regeneration [d3] - This model may be forced to heal d3 damage boxes, once per activation. It can't run in the same activation.
- Set Defense - Charge attacks, slam attacks, and impact attacks versus this model suffer a -2 to hit penalty.
- Far Strike - COST 1, RNG (SELF), DUR (TURN), OFF (NO)
- The spellcaster's ranged weapons gain Snipe. Far Strike lasts for one turn. (An attack with a weapon with Snipe gains +4 RNG.) (Snipe - This attack gains +4 RNG)
Thoughts on Troll Impaler
Troll Impaler in a nutshell
The Troll Impaler is a troll that throws spears at people and is very expensive for a light. Beyond the starter box he does not get that much use. When using him in a journeyman league, Stack pulverizer and rage from the mauler for a nice POW 18 range 8 attack. Or snipe and pulverizer for a POW 15 range 12 attack. Boost everything.
Combos & Synergies
- The Impaler is a nice self-supporting shooter.
- STR boosts apply to his range weapon. In the right army and with the right boosts....yea.
- Out of the starter box you can put pulverizer on him and with snipe he's a real threat.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Ranged knockdown just gets shaken by beasts or jacks and is overkill against infantry.
- Its weaponry suffers the same sort of problem. Murdering infantry and not doing much to harder targets.
- The overwhelming consensus if you want a beast in this role is to go for the excellent Dire Troll Bomber.
- MAT 5 does not provide adequate melee capability. As a dedicated ranged beast its ranged damage-dealing is mediocre and has slim chance at the critical effect.
- Unless you have a warlock with a ranged weapon (especially Madrak) and you therefore want the warlock to be able to cast the Far Strike animus it's hard to justify the Impaler costing 2 points more than an Ice Troll - and if you want Far Strike it's normally worth going all the way for the Dire Troll Bomber.
Tricks & Tips
- Try to line up the slams.
- You may slam knocked down models.
Comparison to Mk2
Far Strike no longer buffs other models, so the Impaler is not so useful as it once was. Especially as the Bomber can now Far Strike itself.
Originally released in Primal Mk1 (2006)
- Kriel Company - (Article) (Category)
- Themes for any-and-all warbeasts (Edit)
Other Trollblood models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|
| See also the Warbeast page for a recap of the core warbeast rules.