Trencher Warcaster Lieutenant
Fluff text (copy from PP gallery)
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Trencher Warcaster Lieutenant
- 3 Other
|Trencher Warcaster Lieutenant|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Carbine - 10" range, POW 10 gun
- Mechanikal Trench Blade - 0.5" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Battlegroup Controller - This model is a solo but functions like a mini-warcaster. It has a FOCUS stat, can buy/boost attacks, cast spells, and control warjacks. It must have at least one warjack in its battlegroup.
- Dig In (★ Action) - This model gains cover, immunity to blast damage, and stops blocking LOS. It retains this until it moves or is engaged.
Fire Group - Cost 2
- While in the caster's CTRL range, battlegroup models gain +2 RNG on their guns. Lasts for one turn.
Rift - Cost 3, 8" range, 4" AOE, POW 13
- The AOE stays in play for one round as rough terrain.
Thoughts on Trencher Warcaster Lieutenant
Trencher Warcaster Lieutenant in a nutshell
He lets you increase the number of warjacks in your army without increasing the drain on your warcaster's focus. He is primarily a support model, but he is okay at combat.
Compared to the original Journeyman Warcaster, he trades out Arcane Shield for a offense range buff. And also received various Trencher buffs.
Combos & Synergies
'Jacks to consider
The Lieutenant tends to favour ranged Warjacks thanks to Fire Group. With 4 focus, it's even possible to have him control 2 Warjacks and stay safe thanks to Dig In.
- the Grenadier
- The Lieutenant is a Trencher, so he's one of the two Trencher models you need within 1" to increase the Grenadier's number of shots.
- With Fire Group and a Snipe spell from elsewhere (i.e. your warcaster) you can aim and still threat 16", while being dug in, with the potential to boost damage if you need to take out an enemy solo or CA.
- Considering all that, you might even pick two to really defend a position, but it's a bit of a point investment.
- the Charger
- The Charger of course makes great use of an extra point of focus - and Fire Group doesn't hurt either.
- With Fire Group, they're excellent cavalry hunters. Boosted POW12s can reliably kill a lot of cavalry models while the 14" range means they're usually out of charge range if you don't kill it.
- They're also very capable in melee if the cavalry unit tries to run to engage. Instead of casting Fire Group you can fully fuel your Chargers instead and bring out the P+S13 hammers.
- Take 2 and destroy the world.
- the Hunter
- A little expensive, the Hunter can be 16" away from the Warcaster Lieutenant and still operational. Oh, and benefits from Fire Group.
- the Stormwall or Hurricane
- If you are using a caster with access to Snipe, you can stack the range increase with Fire Group. The result is absolutely monstrous threat ranges reach across the board firing as early as turn one. Shooting targets from 22" away almost guarantees you will have 2 turns to fire your weapons (switch to an armor buff when snipe is no longer necessary). Obviously this is weighed against the risk of placing a Colossal in the care of a journeyman warcasters, but if you are tailing behind 8" dug in, you can be reasonably safe.
- Commander Anson Hitch gives Trenchers Tactician
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Lieutenant Allison Jakes generally does more for her battlegroup than the Trencher Warcaster Lieutenant if you want to use melee Warjacks, and costs the same.
- Dig In can be hard to use although you frequently just want to hand out focus and keep this guy safe
Tricks & Tips
- Thanks to his Dig in ability, he's immune to blast damage. One of the greatest risks of running a journeyman is losing a relatively fragile solo to a boosted large template aiming for the 'jack, rendering the 'jack inert. Thanks to this ability, he can stay close to and hide behind a warjack pretty well.
- Remember, he can use Dig in and still cast spells before or after that.
Originally released in the Trencher CID (2017.06)
Other Cygnar models