Trencher Master Gunner
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Master gunners are survivors of countless battles and have earned expertise that makes them some of the most valued artillerists in all of Cygnar. These men and women are versed in all the skills of the artilleryman from barrage firing patterns to the use of defilades. They are experts in the complex commands used to coordinate a battery of field guns. Where other armies make use of artillery as support, the master gunners orchestrate their batteries into precision instruments of war.
|Trencher Master Gunner|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Scatter Gun - 8" spray, POW 12 gun
- Trench Knife - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon
- 'Jack Marshal - All 'jack marshals share the same set of special rules, which basically amount to: This model is not a warcaster but may control a warjack.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Artillerist (★ Action) - Target friendly Faction model in CMD range gains +2 RAT on its next AOE ranged attack this turn. Also, it can re-roll direction and/or distance if it does not directly hit.
- Battery Fire (★ Action) - Target friendly faction artillery piece gains an extra shot this turn.
- Foxhole Buddy - While B2B with a friendly model that is dug in, this model gains cover, does not suffer blast damage, and does not block LOS.
- High-Angle Fire (★ Action) - Target friendly Faction model in CMD range. Its AOE weapons gain Arcing Fire. (Arcing Fire - When attacking with this weapon, this model can ignore intervening models except those within 1" of the target.)
2017.08 Cygnar Update
- Gained Foxhole Buddy
Thoughts on Trencher Master Gunner
Trencher Master Gunner in a nutshell
The Trencher Master Gunner is an odd mix of abilities. He's a jack marshal without a drive. He can use Battery Fire on a weapon crew for an extra shot - but costs as much as a cheap weapon crew, by himself. He's a Trencher, but has no direct access to Dig In. Overall, he is a support piece for your gunlines - mainly those centred around your AoE lobbing pieces and/or weapon crews. Unless you build him around some combination
Combos & Synergies
Using him as a jack Marshal
- Sentinel - All Jack Marshals love Sentinels, but bringing it for the Gunner alone is quite a waste of points. If there's an important target to be protected from getting shot, and you cannot trust the Sentinel under your warcaster's control, then go for the Gunner. Otherwise, choose something else instead.
- Avenger - Its RAT is pretty poor by Cygnaran standards, so getting it up to RAT7 with either Strike True or Artillerist can help compensate for generally having to move and shoot. Combine the two for Eiryss-level accuracy. The High Angle Fire can also be useful sometimes.
- Reliant - Your cheapest heavy with an AoE gun.
- Grenadier - First and foremost, you should consider this jack for marshalling. If it dugs itself in, it can provide you shelter due to Foxhole Buddy, and the Gunner can reload it. Occasionally, you can bring a Patrol Dog to form a great deterrent against flanking solos and units with Stealth (and a second reload source too).
Using him for his abilities:
- Trencher Cannon Crew - Joint most expensive of Cygnar's field artillery and the one that can gain the most.
- Trench Buster - RAT 7 better than RAT 5
- Trencher Express Team - The other 5 pts artillery, for tagging 2 targets with Grievous Wounds.
- Hurricane - This colossal also has 2 AoE guns - and Arcing Fire on them can open up interesting threat vectors.
- Stormsmith Storm Tower - Two shots from your storm tower mean potentially twice as much fried infantry. They cannot be in the same theme force though.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He's a jack marshal without drive, and no extra ability to tune up the jack under his care (apart of Artillerist, if the jack happen to have AOE gun).
- Trencher Chain Gun Crew gets only a single extra shot from Battery Fire instead of D3+1 - and another team costs just as much as the Gunner.
- Needs another model with Dig-In to get the benefits through Foxhole Buddy.
Tricks & Tips
- Use Battery Fire until the time for artillery is done - then use his spray
- Originally released in the Mk2 forces book Forces of Warmachine: Cygnar (February 2010)
Other Cygnar models