Trencher Long Gunners
|Articles you can help complete (Edit)|
To the trenchers, the staccato crack of rifle fire represents the familiar tempo of war. Trained in the use of repeating long rifles, Trencher Long Gunners provide their comrades in the corps with dedicated long-range fire support. These troops single out their targets and rain bullets on them from afar, cutting down ranks of enemy infantry with each fusillade.
Officer - Command Attachment
|Trencher Long Gunners|
|Unit Size|| 6/10|
+ 4 CA
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Repeating Long Gun - 14" range, POW 10 gun
- Trench Knife - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon
- Combined Ranged Attack - This unit can combine their ranged attacks to get a cumulative +1 bonus on accuracy and damage for each model involved.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Dual Shot - This model can make an additional ranged attack if it aims.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Go to Ground (Minifeat) - Once per game, models in this unit can gain cover and immunity to blast damage and will not block LOS for one round. The effect on each model ends if that model moves or is placed or engaged.
- Granted: Precision Fire - While this model is still alive and in formation all of the unit gains Precision Fire. (Precision Fire - Models in this unit can reroll ranged attack damage rolls.)
- Tactics: Marksman - The unit gains Marksman. (Marksman - When damaging a warjack/warbeast with a ranged attack, the attacker chooses which column/branch takes the damage. )
Thoughts on Trencher Long Gunners
Trencher Long Gunners in a nutshell
No discussion of these guys can start without comparing them to the original Long Gunners unit.
|Long Gunners||Trencher Long Gunners|
|16 points (1.6 points per model)|| 18 points (1.8 points per model), and for that extra 2 points you get:
|Unit + CA|
| 20 points, 12 models (1.67 points per model)
||22 points, 11 models (2.00 points per model)|
|Minifeat: Flawless Maneuvers (Reposition 5")||Minifeat: Go to Ground (a free Dig In)|
|Granted: Trained Fire (+d6 to attack rolls vs models within 8")||Granted: Precision Fire (Reroll damage)|
|Tactics: Practiced Maneuvers (can shoot through each other)||Tactics: Marksman (choose the column to damage)|
|The Standard Bearer gives the flag bonus||The Trencher Officer has better stats than the Long Gunner Officer|
|(Edit this comparison)|
Overall, the Trencher unit with CA are better at dealing damage, while the original Long Gunners are better at picking out their targets. But perhaps the most important thing is that the Trencher Long Gunners are, indeed, Trenchers, and so can benefit from the plethora of Trencher-only buffs.
All in all, your nearly always better off spending the extra points to upgrade to Trencher Long Gunners.
The Theme Factor
Of course, the comparison above is only relevant when considering the units outside the context of theme forces. Most players use themes because of the number of benefits they offer, but there is not currently any theme that allows you to take both types of Long Gunners (except the Mercenary Kingmaker's Army and Llaelese Resistance themes) and so players are rarely forced to choose.
Combos & Synergies
- Between Precision Fire and Combined Ranged Attack, you can start targeting Warbeasts' spirit or Warjacks' Cortex columns. Completely cripple them by applying Grievous Wounds through a Trencher Express Team or Caine2.
- Finding it hard to get off that 2nd shot? Use them with a Snipe warcaster or Siege2's feat.
- Hitch can, and probably should, hand them Target Priority to ward off any low rolls when using Combined Ranged Attack.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- No Dig In, and no Practiced Maneuvers to help them with positioning - consider Commander_Anson_Hitch to solve this issue.
Tricks & Tips
Tactician only works for Trenchers, which can lead to other models block their line of sight instead. If you're taking Grenadiers, who are typically further forward due to their shorter range, make sure they are dug in. The larger based model would normally block the Long Gunners' line of sight to small or medium based models - If the Grenadier is dug in, it does not block line of sight.
Originally released in the Trencher CID (2017.06)
Other Cygnar models
Note to Editors