Cygnar Trencher Weapon Crew Unit
Fluff text (copy from PP gallery)
- Raevhan Express Gun - 14" range, POW 14 ... wait for it ... gun.
- Grievous Wounds - Models hit by this weapon lose tough and can't have damage removed for a round. Massive model are immune.
- Range Finder - While B2B with the Grunt, the Heavy Rifle Gunner gains boosted attack rolls with this weapon.
- Thunderbolt - Enemy models hit by this attack are pushed a small distance directly away. On a critical they are knocked down as well.
- Trench Knife - 0.5" reach, P+S 10 melee weapon
- Carbine - 10" range, POW 10 gun
- Trench Knife - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Dig In (★ Action) - This model gains cover, immunity to blast damage, and stops blocking LOS. It retains this until it moves or is engaged.
- Gunner only
- Trollkin - The Gunner is a Trollkin model. This does not make the unit a Trollkin unit, however.
- Spotter only
- He has +1 RAT, and only 1 HP.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Cautious Advance (Order) - The unit makes a full advance, then a Dig In action, then a basic ranged attack.
Thoughts on Trencher Express Team
This model/theme has only recently been released, and the content in the "Thoughts On" section is based more on theory-machine than actual gameplay experience.
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Trencher Express Team in a nutshell
The Trencher Express Team is a cousin of the various light artillery units and generally does the job of the Trencher Cannon Crew better than the cannon. It's effectively three points for the gunner and two for the spotter - neither of which are bad.
Combos & Synergies
- Grenadier plus two models = three shots to the Grenadier. This is a cheap way of getting two models that can actually keep up with the three-shotter and dig themselves in while doing work.
- The boosted attack roll from the spotter aids in getting that critical knockdown.
- This can really help out assassination-oriented casters such as Caine2 or Sloan
- The Trencher Master Gunner can give you another shot.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- RAT 5 on the gunner, POW 10 on the spotter.
- It costs as much as the Trencher Infantry command attachment. It's hard to say it's worth that. But if you're not bringing Trenchers it doesn't look bad.
Tricks & Tips
- Move, dig in, fire is awesome.
Originally released in the Trencher CID (2017.06)
Other Cygnar models
Rules Clarification : Grievous Wounds (Edit)
- GW prevents "repairs" as well as "heals".
- It does not stop a warlock transferring damage, or stop the wounded model from being able to 'heal' someone else.
Rules Clarification : Range Finder - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Thunderbolt (Edit)
- If you have multiple effects that resolve on "hit" (such as Thunderbolt & Electro Leap), then you get to choose the order.
- Thus, you could trigger Electro Leap first (and bounce from their initial position), then move them via Thunderbolt.
- Or trigger Thunderbolt first, move them, and then Electro Leap (and bounce from their final position).
- Push (Edit)
- Pushed models do not change their facing.
- Pushed models move at half rate through difficult terrain. Also, Pathfinder doesn't apply during pushes.
- Pushed models stop if they contact anything - a model of any size, or any obstacles or obstructions.
- You don't get free strikes against pushed models, because it is "involuntary movement" and therefore does not count as an advance.
- Pushed models suffer the effects of anything they move through (such as acid clouds
- If you use a Push vs a charging model (via a free strike for example), this will stop the charge movement (refer core rulebook).
- However, if the pushed model is in melee range of its charge target after the push, then it is considered a successful charge. (Infernal Ruling)
- In that scenario, you measure whether the charging model moved 3" or less excluding the push distance. (Infernal Ruling)
- Knockdown (Edit) - Remember, knockdown only prevents what it says it does. Refer to the Knockdown page for a recap of what a model can/can't do.
Rules Clarification : Advance Deployment - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Tough - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Dig In (Edit)
- Unlike nearly every ability in the game, Dig In doesn't have a "expires after one turn/round" clause.
- Thus you could spend your action on turn 1 to Dig In and (assuming you don't move or get engaged) stay Dug In on turn 2 and use your action to make ranged attacks.
Rules Clarification : Officer (Edit)
- Even if they're not on the Officer's card, an Officer can give (and benefit from) any non-standard orders that are on the unit's card (such as Shield Wall). Refer main rulebook.
- When the Officer dies, the Leader model becomes the new Unit Commander (you don't get to choose).
- But if your unit doesn't include a Leader model, then you do get to choose any of the remaining models to be the new Unit Commander. You don't swap the model, but it may be worth putting a token down so you can tell that grunt apart.
Rules Clarification : Cautious Advance (Edit)
- You can combine Cautious Advance with a Combined Ranged Attack.
- A model that can't make an Action (such as being affected by Zerkova1's feat) can't do a Dig In via Cautious Advance.
- Orders affect unit attachments, even if that attachment doesn't have the order on their card (such as a Soulless Escort benefiting from the Shield Wall order). (Infernal Ruling)