|Articles you can help complete (Edit)|
Forged during years of warfare in some of the most brutal fighting in all the Iron Kingdoms, the toughest soldiers of the Trenchers are singled out for special training. These commandos must master a variety of skills that include camouflage and covert unit coordination in addition to the deadly knife fighting techniques that are their trademark. In battle they crawl to the very edge of no man’s land to silently neutralize enemy scouts and snipers and disappear back into the woods without a trace.
Scattergunner - Weapon Attachment
A coordinated commando assault supported by grenades and scatterguns rapidly turns units of enemy of soldiers into ground meat.
Officer - Command Attachment
fluff blurb here
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on the Trencher Commandos
- 3 Other
+2 per WA
|1.6 each (base unit)|
1.9 each (max unit)
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Leader, Grunts, & Officer
- Carbine - 10" range, POW 10 gun.
- Grenade - 6" range, 3" AOE, POW 12 gun.
- Cumbersome - This model cannot attack with this weapon and with another weapon on the same activation.
- Trench Knife - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon
- Scatter Gun - 8" Spray, POW 12 gun
- Trench Knife - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon
- Entire Unit
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Anatomical Precision - When this model's melee damage roll fails to exceed the ARM of the living model hit, that model suffers 1 damage point. A model disabled by a melee attack made by this model cannot make a Tough roll.
- Officer only
- He has +1 MAT, RAT, CMD, and 5 hitpoints
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Granted: Reposition [3"] - While this model is still alive and in formation all of the unit gains Reposition [3"]. (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Tactics: Quick Work - The unit gains Quick Work. (Quick Work - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a melee attack during its Combat Action, immediately after that attack is resolved this model can make one basic ranged attack.)
- Mission Objective (Minifeat) - Once per game at any time during its activation, choose an enemy model/unit in the Officer's LOS. This activation the Commandos gain +2 to attack and damage rolls against that chosen model/unit.
2017.08 Cygnar Update
- Gained the Officer.
- Cost reduced to 10/15 (from 10/16)
Thoughts on the Trencher Commandos
Trencher Commandos in a nutshell
Trencher Commandos are something of a toolbox unit. They're capable of taking on light infantry with their carbines and light jacks/heavy infantry with their grenades if enough of them can get into range. They're also a great counter to units such as Widowmaker Scouts, which have no natural ability to deal with Stealth.
Thoughts on adding the WA
Scattergunners don't have any rules to make them more interesting. They're simply an extra body with a different gun. If you're feeling cheap and don't want a maximum unit, a Scatter Gunner or two is a good way to bulk out a minimum unit while saving a few points to include whichever solo you really want.
Thoughts on adding the CA
As if Cygnar needed more ways to massacre infantry - but the CA is very very good at that, especially combined with the Scattergunners. Reposition's great on a stealth unit - and if you're expecting a lot of enemies then quick work with rifles or scatter guns can create a hell of a mess in the enemy's back line. But they do very little to tougher enemies.
Combos & Synergies
- If you're taking Commandos, you will probably want to take Captain Maxwell Finn. Not only is he an unholy terror by himself, your Commandos become effective MAT8 as a result. RAT7 sprays from the Scatter Gunners makes their ranged output very nasty, too.
- Both of the iterations of Siege work wonders with the Commandos.
- Colonel Markus 'Siege' Brisbane extends their threat radius immensely via Desperate Pace and his feat, effectively turning the Commandos into SPD11 models. Fury also mitigates their subpar melee damage vs non-living or multi-wound models. The feat-created Dig In is also nice for their survivability, as is Razor Wall for when they get stuck in.
- While Major Markus 'Siege' Brisbane doesn't add much to their threat radius, under his feat they hit like trucks. POW14 grenades and Scatterguns are far more scary when they can damage an ARM20 model at dice plus four.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- They're very short ranged. Their carbines are nothing special given the prevalence of POW 10 in Cygnar, while their grenades mean you really want your target dead or you may have no commandos left next turn. Their high cost, average speed and short melee range won't denote them as a good jamming unit either.
- Anatomical Precision has no impact on Undead models, or the Construct infantries of the Convergence.
- They're reliant on Stealth and terrain to keep them alive - their base DEF and ARM are not hard to get through for most units in the game. If you are up against models with True Sight or Eyeless Sight, your Commandos will not last long.
- Their short melee range means it can be hard to get the charge on to their main prey - high ARM infantry.
- No Take Up or anything on the Scattergunner
- The addition of Quick Work from the CA doesn't allow you to throw grenades since they are Cumbersome.
Tricks and Tips
- Anatomical Precision means they're great against high ARM, single box infantry. But with the low melee range of their trench knives, you may have to use some of the unit to absorb a charge and then attack with the rest of the unit in your next turn.
- Anatomical Precision also gives Tough units such as trollkin pause for thought.
- Position the Scattergunners throughout the unit to make it harder for your opponent to take them out without either getting into melee or putting his units squarely in your commandos' threat range.
- The unit & WA were released in Forces of Warmachine: Cygnar (2010.02)
- The CA was released in the Trencher CID (2017.06)
Other Cygnar models
Note to Editors
To edit the CA's tagged abilities, Click here