Thorn Gun Mages
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Thorn Gun Mages
- 3 Other
|Thorn Gun Mages|
Weapons and Attacks
- Dual Magelock - 10" range, ROF 2, POW 10 gun.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Attack Type - When you make an attack with this weapon you must choose one of the following types:
- Both Barrels (★ Attack) - The attack gains a good POW bonus, but you can't get any additional attacks.
- Sword - 0,5" length, P+S 7 melee weapon
- Mercenary - will work for Cygnar and the Protectorate of Menoth.
- Prowl - While concealed this model has stealth.
- Gunfighter - This model can use its ranged weapons even while in melee, but when it does so it can only target models it's in melee with. It can even make ranged attacks after charging.
Thoughts on Thorn Gun Mages
Thorn Gun Mages in a nutshell
Thorn Gun Mages are a trio of gunslingers with two shots per model and the ability to shoot with both barrels for a bit more punch. They are short ranged and easy to kill while being priced like three solos. Because they have Black Penny and Gunfighter, their place is behind the front line clearing paths and making a nuisance of themselves.
Combos & Synergies
- Major Harrison Gibbs gives them Reposition 3", enabling them to hit and run. This is actually pretty important.
- Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist has smoke bombs to trigger their prowling, and is also Llaelese, so will benefit from Gibbs as well. Offensively, he can also make it easier for them to take down heavier targets.
- Anyone with Snipe helps them out a lot as they don't want to be taking any kind of fire.
- Protectorate casters make excellent use of their Continuous Fire shots.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Overpriced by a point or two and they die easy
- Incoming fire has right of way. Each Thorn Gun Mage has only one damage box but the cost of a fairly cheap solo. You lose more from losing one than you would in a normal shooting unit
- Short range with no Snipe shots that make their Cygnaran cousins more survivable.
- The have Prowl, but not Pathfinder.
Tricks & Tips
- Black penny is useful for clearing jams
- Both Barrels and Black Penny in combination can catch people by surprise. It's not what their stat card looks as if it will do.
- If there's a heavy jamming you up, charge and use Gunfighter Thunderbolt shots.
How can I include this model in my army?
Mercenaries are a bit more complicated than regular faction models, they can be taken in one of three different ways.
- This model can be included in a pure Mercenary army.
- This model can be included in the following Faction armies
- This model can be included in the following theme forces:
Other Mercenary models
Missing the Attack Roll
Gunfighter + an AOE weapon
Gunfighter + a spray weapon
Units of Gunfighters