Mercenary Rhulic Character Solo (Jack Marshal)
One of the best-paid mercenaries in western Immoren, Thor Steinhammer repairs and command warjacks with outstanding skill. This consummate combat mechanik can coax unheard-of performance out of his machines, scorch any nearby enemies with his ever-ready torch, and keep the warjacks of other sell-swords in fighting trim, all for a reasonable fee.
- Blowtorch - 6" spray, POW 12 gun
- Damage Type: Fire - This weapon does fire damage.
- Continuous Fire - A model hit by this attack is set on fire. A model on fire suffers a POW 12 fire damage roll in Maintenance phase of owner's turn until the fire expires.
- Wrench - 0.5" reach, P+S 8 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - will work as a Cygnar mercenary or Khador mercenary.
- 'Jack Marshal - All 'jack marshals share the same set of special rules, which basically amount to: This model is not a warcaster but may control a warjack.
- Rhulic Jack Marshal - This marshal can control only Rhulic warjacks.
- Drive : Reposition [5"] - While in this model's CMD range, a warjack under its control gains Reposition [5"]. (Reposition [5"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 5", then its activation ends.)
- Repair [d3+3] (★ Action) - This model can remove d3+3 damage points from a friendly Faction construct model in B2B.
- Tune Up [Rhulic Warjack] (★ Action) - Target friendly Rhulic Warjack in B2B. All attack and damage rolls resulting from its next basic attack this turn are boosted.
Thoughts on Thor Steinhammer
Thor Steinhammer in a nutshell
Thor is the game's only Rhulic jack marshal, and the only mechanic or Jack Marshal in Hammer Strike, which is probably where you'll find him. He is rare among mechanics because he rarely repairs anything, preferring to use his Tune Up ability on the nearest warjack.
Combos & Synergies
- Ghordson Avalancher - the best jack for him to run as he can tune it up and marshal it for some very effective ranged firepower.
- Ghordson Earthbreaker - He can't control it, but he can Tune Up it for two free boosts.
- Ghordson Basher or Ghordson Driller - what passes for a smaller jack among the rhulfolk given that he doesn't want a gunbunny. Of the two the Basher is probably the better choice to marshal as it can slam for free and use Crush. It would also benefit from Flank in The Irregulars theme force. Still not the best idea.
- He gets Tough in the Hammer Strike theme force.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He can't be a free solo in Hammer Strike for no good reason.
- Though the Avalancher is certainly his best warjack to marshal, that package is 21 points for one shot and very poor in melee. 21 points is a lot for one shot.
- Tune Up requires him to be in base contact with the target and requires forethought.
Tips & Tricks
Released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
Warjacks he can take
Note: Although it's in the list, Thor cannot control the Earthbreaker
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification : Fire (Edit)
- Moving into "Shallow water" standard terrain does not cause continuous fire to expire. It's magic fire.
- You can always use non-standard terrain if you agree with your opponent before the game starts, however.
- A weapon can inflict continuous fire without itself being a fire damage weapon (for example, the Helio's fists). In this case, the attack can hurt models with Immunity:Fire it just won't apply the continuous effect.
Rules Clarification : 'Jack Marshal (Edit)
- Marshals can take character jacks (unlike in Mk2). (Closed thread)
- Although they never get the Power Up bonus, a marshaled warjack can gain focus via other means (such as Accumulator, Empower, Spirit Harvester, etc).
- They can do this even after the Marshal dies and they become autonomous (unlike in Mk2).
- 'Jack Marshal & Ranking Officer (Edit)
- If a Ranking Officer joins a unit with the 'Jack Marshal ability, then they can still only take Mercenary warjacks - they don't gain access to Faction warjacks. (Infernal Ruling)
- They can control that mercenary warjack as normal, even though they're technically no longer the same faction as the jack. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Rhulic Jack Marshal - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Drive (Edit)
- If the Drive is on an Officer model, and that model dies, then the new unit commander does not inherit the Drive.
Rules Clarification : Reposition (Edit)
- Models out of formation cannot move via Reposition. Refer to the "Out of Formation" rules in the core rulebook.
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at the end of activation" (such as Sprint) after resolving Reposition, because your activation has ended. (Infernal Ruling) See also this article for a detailed explanation.
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at any time" (such as Go To Ground) during a Reposition. Because you can't trigger it while moving, and after moving your activation has ended. (Infernal Ruling)
- This holds true even if it's a unit with multiple Reposition moves. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Tune Up (Edit)
- Power Attacks are not basic attacks.
Rules Clarification : Repair (Edit)
- When repairing warjacks, you can choose which damage boxes to heal - they don't all have to be the same column.
- If you get a +1 bonus to a repair roll, that is one extra hitpoint healed. Not +1 to the number of pips showing on the dice.