Theme - Winter Guard Kommand
|Painted by Brendon, blog at Plarzoid.com|
The ranks of the Winter Guard are the patriotic backbone of the Khadoran Army. Hardened by a rigorous training regimen and driven by their love for the Motherland, these soldiers march against the enemies of the empire. They make every effort to see the will of the empress done, whether pushing deep into hostile territory under the cover of withering artillery fire or giving their lives to defend Khador from those who would threaten its sovereignty.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A Winter Guard Kommand army can only include models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.09
|Khador warcasters||Too many to bother listing|
| Non-character warjacks
||Too many to bother listing|
|Assault Kommando models/units||Assault Kommandos|
|Winter Guard models/units|
|The following specific models|
|Up to one mercenary unit and one mercenary non-character solo.||Too many to bother listing|
Theme Force Bonuses
- This army can include one Mercenary non-character solo and one Mercenary unit that will work for Khador.
- These models/units can be included even if they have the Partisan [Khador] rule.
- Mercenary units can have attachments.
- For every full 20 points of Winter Guard models/units in this army, you can add one Winter Guard weapon crew unit, Winter Guard CA, or Winter Guard Artillery Kapitan solo to the army free of cost.
- These free models/units do not count toward the total point value of Winter Guard models/units when calculating this bonus.
- One warjack gains Advance Move for each Winter Guard unit. (Advance Move - Before the start of the game but after both players have deployed, a model with Advance Move can make a full advance.)
- Warcasters gain Sacrificial Pawn [Winter Guard trooper model]. (Sacrificial Pawn [Winter Guard trooper] - When this model is directly hit by an enemy ranged attack, you can have one friendly, non-incorporeal Winter Guard trooper model within 3" of it hit instead. That model is automatically hit and suffers all damage and effects. )
- Note that solos are not trooper models.
- The Advance Move changed to be 'one warjack per unit', to stop players abusing the "I'll take nothing but Karchev and warjacks in my 'Winter Guard' theme list, and thank you for the free move."
- The Sacrificial Pawn was changed to just trooper models, because Sac-Pawning to the Gun Carriage was unintended.
- Gained access to Assault Kommandos, and Mercs.
Thoughts on this Theme Force
WGK in a Nutshell
The Winter Guard theme is versatile due to the wide verity of Winter Guard models available. It is quite easy to form the core of your army around a few Warjacks with fire support provided by the Winter Guard Rifle Corps and Rocketeers or Field Guns, while still gaining a number of advanced moves for your Jacks due to each artillery piece included counting as a "Winter Guard Unit". Keep in Mind while building your lists that the artillery pieces can be selected as theme bonuses and while their points do not count towards more free models they do count towards you unit count providing more advanced moves.
Theme weaknesses & mitigating them
- One of the few themes limited to non-character solos
- Outside of the Battle Engine and certain Warjacks, the lack of pathfinder can make this army difficult to deploy and move around. The Old Witch of Khador & Scrapjack can help with Weald Secrets and Zerkova1 with Ghost Walk.
There are two ways of playing this list;
- Lots of Winter Guard for Sacrificial Pawn targets, with jacks to do the heavy lifting;
- As Few Winter Guard As Possible, aiming to get the Advance Move bonus as often as possible.
The second method is good for casters that love warjacks (e.g. Karchev the Terrible); by buying cheap artillery units or min-size infantry you gain Advance Move and extra warcaster survivability without sacrificing too many options in comparison to a jack-only list - really just the character jacks.
Currently, Assault Kommandos don't contribute towards free points, advance move and can't be used for sacrificial pawn. There is no real incentive to ever take them.
Casters of Note
| * Sacrificial Pawn & Grim Salvation are optional, but Sucker! is not
From here down, the terms Sacrificial Pawn, Grim Salvation, and Sucker! are interchangeable
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category:Winter Guard Kommand