Theme - Winds of Death
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Theme - Winds of Death
Skorne Theme Force
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A Winds of Death army can only include Skorne models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.04
|Skorne warlocks||Too many to bother listing|
| Non-character warbeasts
||Too many to bother listing|
|Paingiver Beast Handlers units|
|Mortitheurge Willbreaker solos|
Theme Force Bonuses
- For every 20 points of Venator models/units and/or battle engines you get a free solo or Venator weapon crew
- Free models don't count towards the points limit.
- Warbeasts gain Swift Hunter. (Swift Hunter - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a basic ranged attack, immediately after the attack is resolved it can advance up to 2".)
- Before models are deployed at the start of the game, you can place one wall template.
- It must be completely within 20" of the rear table edge of your deployment zone.
- It cannot be placed within 3" of a hill, obstacle, or obstruction.
- It counts as an obstacle that grants cover.
- Battle Engines (i.e. the Animantarax) count towards the free points
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Winds of Death in a Nutshell
This Skorne theme force is used to field venators and ranged warbeasts. For a long time it has been the best theme force the Skorne has to offer, chiefly because it was the only theme force available to the faction. (Skorne's second theme, Disciples of Agony, was released to CID in July 2017, and their third, The Exalted was spoiled at Lock and Load in July 2017).
It's intended for a very shooty list and although this isn't Skorne's area of expertise it works at that and the Skorne are an excellent all-round faction.
List Building Tips
Winds of Death is intended to be a shooting list, and it buffs ranged warbeasts while providing free points for venators and the battle engine. At present many pure beast-bricks are played using Winds of Death because the player likes free walls and might have a shooty beast or two. This is due to change; the devs have talked of a theme that gives a free Agonizer or Krea for every 35 points of beasts, but it doesn't exist yet. Also it's getting a lot more play than it probably deserves because of the lack of other themes; that said it's a good and flexible theme.
So for the discounts it's shooty units and the Animantarax (a discounted animantarax is really good).
To maximise free points:
- 20 points: Full unit of Venator Rievers without the UA and an artillery piece. Usually to get the UA for free.
- 21 points: A Siege Animantarax and a Venator Dakar. Free artillery piece or Aptimus Marketh. This is generally seen in a full-beast brick with the animantarax being a de-facto beast.
- 21 points: Full unit of Venator Slingers and a minimum unit. Most commonly used by Dominar Raasheth to burn his own slingers.
- 21 points: Full unit of Venator Slingers and two Dakars.
- 22 points: An Animantarax and an artillery piece.
- 22 points: Full unit of Venator Slingers, a Dakaar, and an artillery piece.
- 23 points: A full unit of Venator Rievers and a Venator Dakar.
- 40 points: A full unit of Rievers, a full unit of Slingers, and either two Dakaars or a minimum unit of Slingers.
- 40 points: A full unit of Rievers, an Animantarax, and a Dakaar.
- 42 points: Two Animantaraxes and a minimum unit of slingers. This is chosen by people who want two Animantaraxes and then get thirteen points for the cost of eight.
- 42 points: Two full units of Rievers and a Dakar. Possibly the most shooting you're likely to see (I know of no one who goes for three units of Rievers).
- 60 points: Two full units of Reivers, an Animantarax, and an artillery piece.
- 60 points: Two Animantaraxes and two full units of slingers.
Warbeasts that benefit from Swift Hunter:
- Basilisk Drake - if it could stand up to incoming fire...
- Cyclops Raider shoots with a 20" threat range, then ends up 16" away from the enemy.
- Cyclops Shaman especially with a raider or cannoneer - but even the Krea helps quite a bit here as a way to use that third fury before you condition it. There's one successful sucker-punch list with Lord Assassin Morghoul, one Raider, and four Shamans.
- Basilisk Krea likes that you spend more time shooting than normal.
- Aradus Sentinel can do with all the speed buffs it can get. Especially to stay out of charge range.
- Titan Cannoneer - enough said.
Fall back and shoot - and let the enemies charge the Slingers.
There is currently little consensus as to what to take; after the Great Skorne Errata internal balance within the faction is both pretty good and not solved; some people are taking the theme in all beast lists to get the free wall to hide behind. Almost everything that can go into the list has its role and is pretty good at it. Debuff casters like Rasheth, Morghoul 2 or 3, or either Hexeris are considered best as the warlock.
Casters of Note
Skorne shooting (until Primus Jalaam comes out) revolves round our debuff casters.
- Dominar Rasheth has an ARM debuff and that excellent feat.
- Lord Assassin Morghoul has Mortality, his assassinations, and loves both the Siege Animantarax and getting Aptimus Marketh for free.
- Beast Master Xekaar loves free Marketh and having a wall to hide behind.
- Lord Tyrant Hexeris has Parasite to help you shatter heavies. Venator Slingers can do some really nasty things to parasited warjacks.
- Lord Arbiter Hexeris can get infantry shot off the board via Black Spot and also really does good things for the Siege Animantarax.
There are also a number of beast-brick casters who've been running this theme because they want an infantry skirmish screen in front of their bricks; a free Swift Hunter is good as is making your skirmish screen even cheaper. This is expected to change.
This list has no melee infantry - indeed no infantry above MAT 5 or P+S 8 in melee.
- Tyrant Xerxis is all about the melee buffs.
- Both Zaals have much the same problem.
- Dominar Morghoul & Escorts has a non-working feat here.
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
| Mercenaries and Partisans
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category:Winds of Death