Theme - The Kingmaker's Army
This theme force is used to field the forces hired by Magnus to overthrow the throne of Cygnar.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A The Kingmaker's Army army can only include Mercenary models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.06
| Non-character warjacks
||Too many to bother listing|
|Specific Cygnar units|
Theme Force Bonuses
- Gain access to the Cygnar units listed above. These units count as Mercenary models when taken in this theme, and can include attachments.
- For every full 20 points of units in your army, you can add one solo to the army free of cost.
- Warrior model/units gain Feign Death. (Feign Death - While knocked down this model can't be targetted by shooting or spells.)
- Greygore Boomhowler & Co. gains Ambush. (Ambush - This unit may choose not to deploy normally, and instead be deployed completely within 3" of an edge of the board (excluding the back of your opponent's deployment zone) on any turn after the first. )
Thoughts on this Theme Force
The Kingmaker's Army in a nutshell
The Kingmaker's Army was the second theme force ever released and is still strong as of this writing though it is showing its age and has fallen out of fashion in favor of Irregulars. It lacks utility solos and options for Magic Weapon but makes up for it with the ability to bring 4 different Cygnar units with their attachments and army-wide Feign Death.
Theme's strengths & Playing to them
Trencher Infantry are some of the best infantry in the game - and mercenary warjacks are great value, with smoke walls protecting them as they go in. Damiano is a popular pick in Kingmaker's because Surefoot makes Trenchers DEF 15 and immune to knock down, and when paired with Cautious Advance, makes them blast immune and DEF 19 against ranged and magic. A full 15 Trenchers under Surefoot can anchor the center of almost any table like few other units.
Boomhowlers are decent ambushing units, believe it or not. They cause problems and force your opponent to divert resources to kill them.
Theme's weaknesses and Mitigating them
- None of the casters available really care for the themes benefits or the units and solos available for them.
- Both instances of Magnus, and Bart, are best run with big battlegroup. Irregulars rewards you for those, Kingmakers doesn't.
- MacBain can take it or leave it, but he doesn't have stellar synergies with anything in the theme and Irregulars has better units and solos.
- Damiano is the sole exeption to this. He's amazing with both Steelheads and Trenchers and thus feels right at home in this theme.
- Pathfinder is absent from all units, except Croe's Cutthroats. This usually doesn't matter, but is a problem other themes do not have to deal with.
- Kell, Orin and Croe are the only magic attacks available to the army besides the caster, which makes it very weak into Cryx. There isn't anything you can do about it, either.
- The mercenary ARM fixers like Ragman and Gorman are not allowed.
- The theme discourages large battlegroups, which means Magnus2 doesn't get all the free solos he'd like to go with Feign Death.
- Trenchers are the major perk in this theme, but are also allowed in Llaelese Resistance.
- The theme list composition rules are a bit outdated as only solos can be taken for free and not UA's.
Everyone takes Kell, Orin and Stannis as their free solos. Most people take Trenchers, especially if you have Damiano. Macbain should use Countermeasure on Rangers and feat on them to send them very far into your opponent's face, and make his Galleon RAT 7. Magnus2 should bring a Buccaneer to knock him down on his feat turn. Magnus1 might see some use out of Snipe on Trencher Long Gunners and Blur on Trenchers. Bart should probably be in The Irregulars, but he likes Rangers with his Galleon just fine.
Aside from the Cygnar options, 2 units of Steelhead Halberdiers are always solid. Croe's and Boomhowlers are good if taken with a purpose in mind.
Casters of Note
- Damiano with Trenchers is extremely strong, and so he remains the one caster with a very compelling reason to still use this theme.
- Magnus2 may still see play in Kingmaker's due to Feign Death and a Trencher cloud wall, but he has more tools and can run a larger battlegroup with no penalty in Irregulars, so it's a tough sell.
- Bart and Macbain are strictly better in Irregulars.
- Magnus1 isn't popular in any theme, but really wants threat extension and ARM debuffs not available in this theme more than he wants Blur on Trenchers and Snipe on Trencher Long Gunners.
- The Kingmaker's Army
- Rangers can be included in Kingmakers. The NQ preview had an error. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
| Mercenaries and Partisans
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: The Kingmaker's Army