Theme - The Kingmaker's Army
This theme force is used to field the forces hired by Magnus to overthrow the throne of Cygnar.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A The Kingmaker's Army army can only include Mercenary models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.06
| Non-character warjacks
||Too many to bother listing|
|Specific Cygnar units|
Theme Force Bonuses
- Gain access to the Cygnar units listed above. These units count as Mercenary models when taken in this theme, and can include attachments.
- For every full 20 points of units in your army, you can add one solo to the army free of cost.
- Warrior model/units gain Feign Death. (Feign Death - While knocked down this model can't be targetted by shooting or spells.)
- Greygore Boomhowler & Co. gains Ambush. (Ambush - This unit may choose not to deploy normally, and instead be deployed completely within 3" of an edge of the board (excluding the back of your opponent's deployment zone) on any turn after the first. )
Thoughts on this Theme Force
The Kingmaker's Army in a nutshell
The Kingmaker's Army was an early and relatively solid theme force, giving up a lot of utility solos to raid from the Cygnaran box.
Theme's strengths & Playing to them
Trencher Infantry are some of the best infantry in the game - and mercenary warjacks are great value, with smoke walls protecting them as they go in. Or it's a way of getting Stannis Brocker for free.
Theme's weaknesses and Mitigating them
There are two basic and effective approaches to this theme force:
- The Steelhead Batallion - Stannis Brocker gets included for free.
- Taking a couple of tough units and giving them Feign Death. Most notably Boomhowler's and the Trencher Infantry. And getting either Kell Bailoch or Orin Midwinter for free as a nice bonus.
Casters of Note
- Damiano clearly likes steelheads with a few bonus points to spend on steelheads. (Sgt. Nick giving a number of them Tough is just a nice bonus). He also loves sure-footing Trencher Infantry
- Magnus2 finds this a fluffy and effective list - with Orin and Kell for free (or Stannis) making up for the limited options as he force-feeds the enemy his unyielding battlegroup. However with no damage buff and with The Irregulars giving more expensive solos this list has fallen out of favour.
- Bart finds few bonuses worth having, other than the to-hit buffs from the Rangers (although that's often worth having).
- Similar to Bart, Magnus1 finds few bonuses to tempt him. Although getting Snipe on a full unit of Long Gunners can mean two 18" range, POW 20 attacks coming down range every turn.
- Drake MacBain can play a Kingmaker army effectively, but often prefers to play out of theme so he can get better models to use his feat on.
- The Kingmaker's Army
- Rangers can be included in Kingmakers. The NQ preview had an error. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: The Kingmaker's Army