Theme - The Kingmaker's Army
This theme force is used to field the forces hired by Magnus to overthrow the throne of Cygnar.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A The Kingmaker's Army army can only include Mercenary models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.06
| Non-character warjacks
||Too many to bother listing|
|Specific Cygnar units|
Theme Force Bonuses
- Gain access to the Cygnar units listed above. These units count as Mercenary models when taken in this theme, and can include attachments.
- For every full 20 points of units in your army, you can add one solo to the army free of cost.
- Warrior model/units gain Feign Death. (Feign Death - While knocked down this model can't be targetted by shooting or spells.)
- Greygore Boomhowler & Co. gains Ambush. (Ambush - This unit may choose not to deploy normally, and instead be deployed completely within 3" of an edge of the board (excluding the back of your opponent's deployment zone) on any turn after the first. )
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Kingmaker's in a nutshell
Theme's strengths & Playing to them
Theme's weaknesses and Mitigating them
There are two basic and effective approaches to this theme force:
- The Steelhead Batallion - Stannis Brocker gets included for free.
- Taking a couple of tough units and giving them Feign Death. Most notably Boomhowler's and the Trencher Infantry. And getting either Kell Bailoch or Orin Midwinter for free as a nice bonus.
Casters of Note
- Damiano clearly likes steelheads with a few bonus points to spend on steelheads. (Sgt. Nick giving a number of them Tough is just a nice bonus).
- Magnus2 finds this a fluffy and effective list - with Orin and Kell for free (or Stannis) making up for the limited options as he force-feeds the enemy his unyielding battlegroup.
- Bart finds few bonuses worth having, other than the to-hit buffs from the Rangers (although that's often worth having).
- Similar to Bart, Magnus1 finds few bonuses to tempt him. Although getting Snipe on a full unit of Long Gunners can mean two 18" range, POW 20 attacks coming down range every turn.
- Drake MacBain can play a Kingmaker army effectively, but often prefers to play out of theme so he can get better models to use his feat on.
- The Kingmaker's Army
- Rangers can be included in Kingmakers. The NQ preview had an error. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: The Kingmaker's Army
|Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Cryx||The Ghost Fleet - Infernal Machines - Dark Host||(Edit)|
|Cygnar||Storm Division - Heavy Metal - Sons of the Tempest - Gravediggers||(Edit)|
|Khador||Winter Guard Kommand - Legion of Steel - Jaws of the Wolf||(Edit)|
|Protectorate of Menoth||The Creator's Might - Guardians of the Temple - Exemplar Interdiction||(Edit)|
|Retribution of Scyrah||Forges of War - Defenders of Ios - Shadows of the Retribution||(Edit)|
|Mercenaries||Hammer Strike - The Kingmaker's Army - Operating Theater||(Edit)|
|Convergence of Cyriss||Destruction Initiative||(Edit)|
|Circle Orboros||The Bones of Orboros - The Devourer's Host - The Wild Hunt||(Edit)|
|Legion of Everblight||Ravens of War - Children of the Dragon - Oracles of Annihilation||(Edit)|
|Skorne||Winds of Death||(Edit)|
|Trollbloods||Band of Heroes - Power of Dhunia||(Edit)|
|Minions||The Blindwater Congregation - The Thornfall Alliance||(Edit)|
|Grymkin||Dark Menagerie - Bump in the Night||(Edit)|