Theme - The Exalted
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Theme - The Exalted
Skorne Theme Force
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A The Exalted army can only include Skorne models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.04
|Skorne warlocks||Too many to bother listing.|
| Non-character warbeasts
||Too many to bother listing|
|Paingiver Beast Handler units|
|Void Spirit solos|
Theme Force Bonuses
- Can include one minion solo and one minion unit that work for Skorne.
- For every 20 points of Exalted models or units get a free Command Attachment or Solo
- All models with Soul Taker start with one soul.
- Warbeasts get Death Rage. (Death Rage - When this model dies it can move a short distance and make one basic melee attack before being removed from play. The attack ignores crippled aspects and the move ignores free strikes.)
Previewed at Lock and Load 2017 Released in September 2017
Thoughts on this Theme Force
The Exalted in a nutshell
The Exalted is an awesome-looking and extremely fluffy list made up of Skorne's ambulatory statues, staring down the board menacingly. With almost all your infantry being ARM 17 a lot of anti-infantry tech struggles against you, and with most of your army most of the time being SPD 6, with Vengeance, and the ability to turn incorporeal, you both hit pretty hard and get some tricksy movement abilities.
If you have any sort of MAT buff in your list enemies need to play extremely carefully around you to avoid assassinations; the threat range of an Immortal is 4" +3" (charging) + 3" (Vengeance) + 2" (Reach) + 2" (Ancestral Guardian buff) = 14". The threat range is non-linear and incorporeal models can charge through enemies, so this list brings an assassination threat.
With normally 30 Immortals on the table and an ARM high enough to resist anti-infantry tech it resembles Cryx's notorious Ghost Fleet in the "Did you bring enough to kill this army" stakes, and as most of your infantry are constructs there's even more tech that won't work against it.
On the other hand it struggles against both heavy DEF-skew (unless you have a way of fixing that) and heavy ARM-skew.
List Building Tips
A full unit of Immortals with an Advocate is 19 points - close but not quite there. You generally have to buy one Ancestral Guardian and get Hakaar and up to two Guardians for free.
A free soul on your Advocate is really useful especially to protect you from incoming shooting on turn one.
Death Rage is cute but little more; your warbeasts don't gain the benefit of Enrage. That said a bite or a drag from an Aradus Soldier can both be good.
Casters of Note
- Zaal, the Ancestral Advocate simply rocks this list. He looks like an Immortal (for that matter he is an Immortal) making the visual identity that much stronger. The Immortals are all ARM 22 on his feat turn (and the Guardians and Hakaar higher) and with his Aura of Power the assassination is always on the table. This list is a frequent triple-threat, able to bully the enemy on scenario.
- Supreme Aptimus Zaal & Kovaas plays a much more offensive game. With frequently four Ancestral Guardians to Soul Converter to you get a lot of mileage out of his Soul Converter. And Last Stand Assassinations can be murderous. As can Last Stand in general - with the normal caveat you want two attacks out of the Immortals. Problem is that other casters bring similar buffs but don't kill their own troops. In general Zaal1 prefers cheap infantry for Last Stand ad Immortals aren't particularly cheap.
- Supreme Archdomina Makeda has a feat for assassination with this army, can protect them all from incoming shooting, and can Stay Death to keep the unit attachments alive. Hakaar under Storm Rager shouldn't be underestimated. And finally Dash makes her Immortals completely immune to Free Strikes as they dash through the enemy.
- Lord Tyrant Zaadesh is the main caster who doesn't go in all the way for this theme; he's mostly a beast-caster. But Immortals at MAT 8 and P+S 15 with Defensive Strike are impressively obnoxious, and that's enough added strength, especially with Hakaar being a Veteran Leader, to enable the Incorporeal Assassination.
- Dominar Morghoul & Escorts is an interesting choice, with even more mobility for the Exalted, Stealth on one unit, and Night's Reflection as his de facto MAT buff. And the idea of acrobatic statues has an appeal.
- Tyrant Xerxis makes the list hit harder and a bit tougher. He doesn't have any significant MAT buff so this list doesn't have the same assassination potential as the other options but between Stir the Blood and his feat it hits like a freight train, while Tactical Supremacy is an interesting choice for Immortals.
- Dominar Rasheth can be surprisingly effective with acces to Incorporeal arcnodes, bringing ARM and DEF debuffs where needed. Immortals striking at MAT 11, P+S 17 are no joke.
- Void Seer Mordikaar only has Paingiver Beast Handlers to hollow and is reduced to Essence Blasting his beasts as neither of these signature spells work on constructs.
- Archdomina Makeda has a feat that only applies to living models.
Released in the PP Insider 25th August 2017
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
| Mercenaries and Partisans
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category:The Exalted