This Circle theme force is the Tharn Theme
Theme Force Restrictions
Army can only include Circle models from the following list:
Theme Force Bonuses
- You may include up to one Minion solo and one Minion unit that will work for Circle.
- For every 20 points of Tharn get a free command attachment or a small or medium based solo
- Warbeasts gain Snacking (Snacking - When this model boxes a living model with a melee attack, it can choose to remove the boxed model from play. When it does this, this model can remove d3 damage points.)
- For every full 10 points of Tharn get a free corpse token to start the game
Trivia : Free Tharns do count toward getting free corpses tokens to start the game.
exemple : A free Tharn Ravager Shaman, does not cost 0. It still cost 5, but free.
Thoughts on this Theme Force
This is a thematic Tharn army that gives you a few bonuses for playing mostly with Tharn. If anyone needs heart tokens to start with it's Death Wolves so they can survive at least some incoming fire. Remember that corpse tokens alas only boost melee rolls, so no games with the Blood Pack or Ravager Shaman.
Tharn, all Tharn are excellent at killing infantry; you're going to need your Warp Wolves or other heavies to deal with harder targets, which means that for an all-comers list you need a larger than the minimal battle group.
In order of priority the models that want free heart tokens are
The female Tharn don't need one at all.
The most expensive free models you can get are the Tharn Ravager Shaman, the Tharn Ravager White Mane, and the Tharn Ravager Chieftain (the ravager UA) at 5, followed by the Bloodweaver Night Witch and Nuala the Huntress (Bloodtracker CA) at 4.
The Lord of the Feast is not considered as a Tharn model as there is no mention Tharn on his profile. Sadly it doesn't count for the free point or for corpses token.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- The list is easy to tech against; even Ravagers go down to standard anti-infantry tech.
- There's no one not a warbeast or warlock with P+S > 13
- Death Wolves here are excellent but don't count towards free points.
- Krueger1 with All The Tharn: max tharn (8-9 heart tokens to give out, mostly to the Death Wolves) with a small battle group under Krueger1. Tharn protected by gale winds on the approach with 2” melee when they get there.
- Kromac is a Tharn and thus fluffy and looks excellent.
- Morvahna the Autumnblade is very good at regrowing Bloodtrackers
- Una2 have Hand of Fate, which lower a lot the odds of missing an attack and make a single ravager able to thresh a whole unit if need be. Generally played as about half a dozen griffons and two units of ravagers plus the Death Wolves.
- Baldur1 can buff the ravager to high enough ARM to survive light gunfire and electro-leap, and make them hit hard enough to kill heavies.
Bradigus isn't actually legal in this theme, because he can't spend his warbeast point. Not that he would like to get Tharn anyway.
- Megalith may be taken in this theme under either Baldur, in which case he gains snacking, even though he doesn't have a mouth, nor any need to eat living creatures.
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Warning: This is a long one.
| Mercenaries and Partisans
- When you take a Partisan Mercenary, it counts as your Faction. However this doesn't increase the number of total mercenaries allowed. (Infernal Ruling)
- Exception: If the Partisan Mercenary is explicitedly listed as one of the models you can take in the theme (such as Cephalyx in Cryx's Black Industries theme), then you can take the full FA plus your "up to one Merc" allotment. (Infernal Ruling)
- Sometimes a specific Mercenary/Minion model/unit will gain a theme benefit of "If this model is included, it counts as a Faction model" (such as Greygore in Kriel Company). In this case, the model/unit might or might not count against your "up to one merc" limit:
- If that Merc is in the list of models explicitly allowed (such as Savio in Storm Division), they won't count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- If that Merc isn't in the list, (such as the Devil's Shadows in Slaughter Fleet Raiders), they will count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- Partisans will count towards any relevant free points. For instance, Nyss will count twoards the "20 points of Retribution units" in the Defenders of Ios theme. (Infernal Ruling)
- Partisans can be eligible to be taken as free choices. For instance, Erysis1 can be taken as a free solo in the Legion of Dawn theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
- If you can include a Merc unit, and its attachments, then you can attach a Ranking Officer. This is true regardless whether or not that Ranking Officer is on the list of "Allowed models" . (Infernal Ruling)
- Adding a Ranking Officer to a Merc unit doesn't increase the number of Merc units you can take.
- The Merc unit will count towards your "X points of [Faction] models/units" benefit (if your theme is worded that way). (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenary Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Companions
- As per the errata to the core rules, if your "up to one Merc" ...
- ... can take warbeasts/warjacks, then you can add warbeast(s)/warjack(s) (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
- ... comes with a Companion model, then you'll get that Companion (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
Bonus - One [X] gains [Y]
- If you need to choose which models get your theme bonus, then you do this choice after deployment. (Infernal Ruling)
- An example is how Winter Guard Kommand gives Advance Move to one-warjack-of-your-choice-per-WG-unit.
- In comparison, Destruction Initiative gives all Servitors the Shield Guard ability so you don't need to "make" a choice.
- You should still write on your army list how many of these bonuses you get to hand out, though, so your opponent can clearly see. (Infernal Ruling)
- ie at the bottom of your list, you'd write "3 warjacks gain Advance Move" but you don't need to state which three are going to get the bonus.
Theme Forces, free models, and Specialists/ADR in Steamroller
- You can swap out as many models from your main list into your specialists and vice versa as you like, but you must completely recalculate the new army list when you do, including bonuses. As long as the new army list is valid, including all free models, it doesn't matter what the left over points in your specialists are. (Staff Ruling)
- If your theme only allows one merc solo, you can't have one in your main list and a different one in your specialists.
Unit Attachments & free points
- If a unit counts towards your free points, then all attachments count too; regardless of whether the attachment is the same model type. For instance:
Theme - The Bones of Orboros
- Una1 cannot be taken in this theme (yet) due to the conflict between the theme's "Only Construct warbeasts allowed" and Una1's "Must take warbeasts with flight". There are no construct warbeasts with flight (yet). But if/when there is, then Una1 can be taken in this theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Call of the Wild
- When it comes to other things that alter COST (such as Lamentation), follow basic maths: Double/halve first, then add/subtract.
- Due to the way Tanith's feat is worded, during her feat turn the COST of animi cannot drop below 1. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - The Faithful Masses
- A Mercenary unit with an Attendant Priest does count as Protectorate unit for the purpose of calculating points for free cards. There is a bug in Warroom that prevents it counting properly. (Staff Ruling)
Theme - The Ghost Fleet
- The "free solo" can be any kind of solo, it doesn't have to be a Revenant solo.
Theme - Kriel Company
- Greygore/Dannon count against your "up to one Minion unit" allowance. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Llaelese Resistance
- It is 2 Cruicible or 2 Cygnar or 2 Menoth.
You can't take more than 2, and you can't mix and match from multiple Factions. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Scourge of the Broken Coast
Theme - Slaughter Fleet Raiders
- The Devil's Shadows Mutineers count against your "up to one Mercenary unit" allowance. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Clockwork Legions
- If you attach a small-based model to a medium-based unit, it is no longer a medium-based unit and won't benefit from Vengeance.
- However, it will regain Vengeance when the small base dies. Furthermore, the small base dying will trigger Vengeance.
- (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Snacking (Edit)
- Snacking occurs at boxed, and thus:
- Doesn't prevent abilities that trigger at disabled (such as Tough, Self-Sacrifice, etc).
- Might prevent abilities that trigger at boxed, depending on who the active player is and whose model the ability triggered on. Refer the 'Triggers' section (pg 10 of the pdf)
- Does prevent abilties that trigger at destroyed (such as collecting soul tokens, etc)
- You can snack friendly models.
- You may choose where each individual point of healing goes.
- If you kill multiple models with a single attack (such as trampling over them) then you get to heal once for each model killed.
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: The Devourer's Host