Theme - Storm of the North
|Crucible Guard CID is now live (Edit)||
For generations the Northkin have stood as disparate clans, fighting one another as often as they battled the many rivals who surround them. For the first time in centuries, these hardy northern folk now fight for a common purpose. Resilient warriors wage war alongside the legendary warbeasts of the trollkin, while powerful warlocks wield arcane might to enhance the battle prowess of their warbands. All opposition is crushed beneath the Northkin onslaught or is frozen and shattered by the power of winter itself.
Theme Force Restrictions
A Storm of the North army can only include Trollblood models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.10
|Trollblood warlocks||Too many to bother listing.|
| Non-character warbeasts
|| Too many to bother listing.
However, note that the following are Northkin warbeasts and will benefit from free upkeeps:
|The following character warbeasts||
|Long Rider models/solos|
|The following specific models/units|
|Up to one Minion solo and one Minion unit that work for Trollbloods||Too many to bother listing|
Theme Force Bonuses
- This army can also include one Minion solo and one Minion unit that will work for Trollbloods.
- The minion unit can include attachments.
- These models/units can be included even if they have the Partisan [Trollblood] special rule.
- For every 20 points of Trollblood units and Trollblood battle engines in this army, you can add one Trollblood CA or medium-based Trollblood solo to the army free of cost.
- Free command attachments do not count toward the total point value of Trollblood units in the army when calculating this bonus.
- Warlocks in this army can upkeep spells on friendly Northkin model/units without spending fury.
- Non-warlock Trollblood warrior models in this army become Northkin models and gain Immunity: Cold.
- This effectively means that you get free upkeeps on everything in your army, except for some warbeasts.
- Before models are deployed, you can place two 4" AOE snowdrift terrain features anywhere within 20" of the rear edge of your deployment zone. Models without Immunity: Cold treat snowdrifts as rough terrain. Models with Immunity: Cold gain concealment while completely within a snowdrift.
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Storm of the North in a nutshell
This is effectively a mini-faction within the Trollkin; it has decent heavy melee (bears, champs, Long Riders), decent shooting (Fire Eaters, Raiders, Lookouts), its own Krielstone attachment that can make everyone faster, and in general it's a great all round theme.
Between Northkin Fire Eaters, Northkin Raiders, and Pyg Lookouts and a mostly ranged battlegroup you can put together a pretty impressive Kriel Company-style gunline with a slightly better threat range thanks to the movement buff, and massive scenario presence thanks to the advance deployment. On the other hand between the Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears, the Trollkin Champions, and the Long Riders you can put together a Band of Heroes style melee infantry line - and between the bears and the specialist Northkin Krielstone you hit harder against enemy bricks although don't get the RFP effect.
And with all the advance deployment and even ambushes allowed to this theme you can have some pretty impressive scenario presence.
This means that anyone looking to start trolls might find this a very good place to start.
List Building Tips
There are far too many options to this theme to really narrow it down other than that the Krielstone is normally bought with the Northkin attachment rather than the regular stone scribe although this will mean that other than your warlock your main way of dealing with incorporeal enemies comes from the Northkin Shaman, Trollkin Sorcerer, and Bog Trog Mist Speaker
The most expensive options you can get for free are:
- Valka Curseborn, Chieftain of the North (6 points)
- Fell Caller Hero (5 points)
- Trollkin Champion Hero (5 points)
- Skaldi Bonehammer (the Trollkin Champions' Command Attachment) (5 points)
- Trollkin Runebearer - you'll know if you want one based on your warlock. (5 points)
Casters of Note
- Borka is a Northkin, and Borka2 in particular gains nice things from this theme.
- Jarl Skuld loves to upkeep for free. Especially as it's the only way he is ever going to be able to fuel the Krielstone.
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
| Mercenaries and Partisans
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: Storm of the North