Theme - Storm Division
Cygnar’s Storm Division is an autonomous military force that delivers the flash of lightning and the roll of thunder to the battlefields of Immoren. The division couples the latest voltaic weaponry and hardware produced by the Cygnaran Armory with the service of skilled soldiers. More Storm Knights fight with the Storm Division than with any other force in Cygnar, and with the aid of accomplished stormsmiths these elite warriors make up a highly mobile army capable of bringing the fury of the storm to Cygnar’s enemies.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A Storm Division army can only include models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.09
|Cygnar warcasters||Too many to bother listing|
| Non-character warjacks
||Too many to bother listing|
|The following character warjacks|
|Storm Knight models/units|
|The following specific models|
|Up to one mercenary unit and one mercenary solo.||Too many to bother listing|
Theme Force Bonuses
- This army can include one Mercenary solo and one Mercenary unit that will work for Cygnar.
- These models/units can be included even if they have the Partisan [Cygnar] rule.
- Mercenary units can have attachments.
- If Savio is included, he is considered to be a Cygnar model instead of a Merc. Also, he doesn't count against your "up to 1 Merc solo" limit.
- For every full 20 points of Storm Knight and Stormsmith models/units in this army, you can add three Stormsmith Stormcaller solos, or one Storm Knight CA, or one Stormsmith weapon crew unit, or one small-based Cygnar solo to the army free of cost.
- These free models don't count towards that total when calculating when the benefit is applied.
- Cygnar models/units in this army gain Immunity: Electricity.
- Stormblade units in this army gain Advance Move. (Advance Move - Before the start of the game but after both players have deployed, a model with Advance Move can make a full advance.)
- Gained access to Merc options. Savio now counts as Cygnar, and doesn't count against your Merc options.
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Theme - Storm Division in a nutshell
Do you like Storm Knights or Stormsmiths? Well, good news! This is the theme for you. If you intend to maximise the benefits from the theme, you are likely to have quite a strong melee force if you're picking Cygnar's best units (by which I mean Storm Lances).
- Every friendly model is now a potential target for arcing electricity from.
- Cygnar's low ARM casters are protected from Electro-Leap lightning shenanigans.
Theme Weaknesses & Mitigating them
- Pathfinder is quite limited without access to Archduke Runewood or Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord. For an army that can skew towards melee quite easily, this can be a big issue. Your only way to grant Pathfinder in this theme is via Warcasters:
- The loss of Mercenary solos such as Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator hampers the personal efficiency of Warcasters with a strong ranged game.
- Character Warjacks are restricted to armies with the Warcaster they share a bond with.
- For example, no Thorn for any old Warcaster who isn't a Haley...
List Building Tips
- Each maximum unit of Storm Lances grants you a free model straight away.
- This also means that including a Stormblade Captain is much easier since he can be free!
- Speaking of the Stormblade Captain - if you favour Storm Knights, his Tactician rule makes like a lot easier for getting your different units into place.
- All those low DEF models that might ordinarily get fried by your electrical attacks suddenly become great targets for attacks with Electro Leap or Lightning Generator to hurt enemy models.
- It's all about the lightning, so bringing models such as the Firefly to increase your damage output is a good idea.
- The highest number of free models you can get in an average 75pt list is 3.
- It's quite achievable if you are taking two units of Storm Lances and taking a Stormblade unit with Unit Attachment and Weapon Attachments, for example.
- As a result, the highest number of free points you can get is 16 - two 5pt solos and Acosta.
- Just be aware that you may get better synergy out of 3 Friendly Faction models, who will typically be worth 14-15pts.
Casters of Note
- Released near the start of Mk3 (2016)
- This is Lord Commander Stryker's own division.
- In Mk2, his Elite Cadre benefit for Stormblade Infantry was Advance Move. It seems like he's taught that trick to all of the Stormblades at this point in time!
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: Storm Division