Theme - Scourge of the Broken Coast
Cryx Theme Force
Borne on a black tide to bring death and suffering to the mainland, the pirates of Cryx instill terror in the hearts of those who live on the Broken Coast. Comprised of swift Satyxis and merciless Black Ogrun, raiding parties join Cryx's warcasters and their battlegroups in executing their bloody assaults.
Theme Force Restrictions
A Scourge of the Broken Coast army can only include Cryx models from the following list:
Theme Force Bonuses
- You may include one Mercenary solo and one Mercenary unit that will work for Cryx.
- These models can be included even if they have the Partisan [Cryx] rule.
- Mercenary units in this army can include attachments.
- For every full 20 points of Satyxis models/units in this army, you can add one Satyxis solo or Satyxis CA for free.
- Free models don't count towards the 20 points.
- Solos in this army gain Dodge. (Dodge - When an enemy misses this model with an attack at any time except when it is advancing, this model can immediately advance 2" ignoring free strikes.)
- This applies to mercenary solos, too.
- One Satyxis Blood Witch unit gains Ambush. (Ambush - This unit may choose not to deploy normally, and instead be deployed completely within 3" of an edge of the board (excluding the back of your opponent's deployment zone) on any turn after the first. )
2017.11 Black Fleet CID
- New models released: Satyxis Blood Priestess, Axiara Wraithblade, Severa Blacktide, Black Ogrun Iron Monger, Misery Cage
- Existing models added: Barathrum
- The third benefit changed to solos getting Dodge (it used to be Satyxis models got Pathfinder).
Thoughts on this Theme Force
This model/theme has only recently been released, and the content in the "Thoughts On" section is based more on theory-machine than actual gameplay experience.
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Scourge of the Broken Coast in a nutshell
This is the Satyxis theme. Expect a lot of fast skirmish infantry: good SPD, good DEF, low ARM, and low POW.
Theme's weaknesses and Overcoming them
Released in the themeopaclyse (2017.09), updated almost immediately in the Black Fleet CID (2017.11)
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Warning: This is a long one.
| Mercenaries and Partisans
- When you take a Partisan Mercenary, it counts as your Faction. However this doesn't increase the number of total mercenaries allowed. (Infernal Ruling)
- Exception: If the Partisan Mercenary is explicitedly listed as one of the models you can take in the theme (such as Cephalyx in Cryx's Black Industries theme), then you can take the full FA plus your "up to one Merc" allotment. (Infernal Ruling)
- Sometimes a specific Mercenary/Minion model/unit will gain a theme benefit of "If this model is included, it counts as a Faction model" (such as Greygore in Kriel Company). In this case, the model/unit might or might not count against your "up to one merc" limit:
- If that Merc is in the list of models explicitly allowed (such as Savio in Storm Division), they won't count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- If that Merc isn't in the list, (such as the Devil's Shadows in Slaughter Fleet Raiders), they will count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- Partisans will count towards any relevant free points. For instance, Nyss will count twoards the "20 points of Retribution units" in the Defenders of Ios theme. (Infernal Ruling)
- Partisans can be eligible to be taken as free choices. For instance, Erysis1 can be taken as a free solo in the Legion of Dawn theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
- If you can include a Merc unit, and its attachments, then you can attach a Ranking Officer. This is true regardless whether or not that Ranking Officer is on the list of "Allowed models" . (Infernal Ruling)
- Adding a Ranking Officer to a Merc unit doesn't increase the number of Merc units you can take.
- The Merc unit will count towards your "X points of [Faction] models/units" benefit (if your theme is worded that way). (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenary Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Companions
- As per the errata to the core rules, if your "up to one Merc" ...
- ... can take warbeasts/warjacks, then you can add warbeast(s)/warjack(s) (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
- ... comes with a Companion model, then you'll get that Companion (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
Bonus - One [X] gains [Y]
- If you need to choose which models get your theme bonus, then you do this choice after deployment. (Infernal Ruling)
- An example is how Winter Guard Kommand gives Advance Move to one-warjack-of-your-choice-per-WG-unit.
- In comparison, Destruction Initiative gives all Servitors the Shield Guard ability so you don't need to "make" a choice.
- You should still write on your army list how many of these bonuses you get to hand out, though, so your opponent can clearly see. (Infernal Ruling)
- ie at the bottom of your list, you'd write "3 warjacks gain Advance Move" but you don't need to state which three are going to get the bonus.
Theme Forces, free models, and Specialists/ADR in Steamroller
- You can swap out as many models from your main list into your specialists and vice versa as you like, but you must completely recalculate the new army list when you do, including bonuses. As long as the new army list is valid, including all free models, it doesn't matter what the left over points in your specialists are. (Staff Ruling)
- If your theme only allows one merc solo, you can't have one in your main list and a different one in your specialists.
Unit Attachments & free points
- If a unit counts towards your free points, then all attachments count too; regardless of whether the attachment is the same model type. For instance:
Theme - The Bones of Orboros
- Una1 cannot be taken in this theme (yet) due to the conflict between the theme's "Only Construct warbeasts allowed" and Una1's "Must take warbeasts with flight". There are no construct warbeasts with flight (yet). But if/when there is, then Una1 can be taken in this theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Call of the Wild
- When it comes to other things that alter COST (such as Lamentation), follow basic maths: Double/halve first, then add/subtract.
- Due to the way Tanith's feat is worded, during her feat turn the COST of animi cannot drop below 1. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - The Faithful Masses
- A Mercenary unit with an Attendant Priest does count as Protectorate unit for the purpose of calculating points for free cards. There is a bug in Warroom that prevents it counting properly. (Staff Ruling)
Theme - The Ghost Fleet
- The "free solo" can be any kind of solo, it doesn't have to be a Revenant solo.
Theme - Kriel Company
- Greygore/Dannon count against your "up to one Minion unit" allowance. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Llaelese Resistance
- It is 2 Cruicible or 2 Cygnar or 2 Menoth.
You can't take more than 2, and you can't mix and match from multiple Factions. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Scourge of the Broken Coast
Theme - Slaughter Fleet Raiders
- The Devil's Shadows Mutineers count against your "up to one Mercenary unit" allowance. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Clockwork Legions
- If you attach a small-based model to a medium-based unit, it is no longer a medium-based unit and won't benefit from Vengeance.
- However, it will regain Vengeance when the small base dies. Furthermore, the small base dying will trigger Vengeance.
- (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Dodge (Edit)
- Dodge triggers after any missed attack - melee, ranged, or magic.
- If you shoot at a model with Dodge that's in melee and miss, Dodge will trigger regardless of whether you then hit the random new target or not.
- The Dodge movement occurs after making the attack against the new target.
- An enemy model with 2" melee range that is B2B with you before you Dodge, will be exactly 2" away afterwards, and thus will be able to attempt a 2nd melee attack.
- If you're missed by an AOE attack, but it doesn't deviate very far and still hits you then: Dodge still triggers, but the AOE does damage before you get the Dodge movement. (Infernal Ruling)
- Dodge plus Riposte (Edit)
- If a model has both Dodge and Riposte, Dodge triggers before Riposte (Appendix A Step 12 vs Step 14).
Rules Clarification : Ambush (Edit)
- Whether a model/unit is going to use Ambush or not needs to be declared before either player begins deploying models.
- Ambush occurs last in Step 5 of the Control Phase. You cannot use Apparition on a model that Ambushes. (Infernal Ruling)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: Scourge of the Broken Coast