Legion Theme Force
When the blighted ogrun tribes go to war, they do so with the blessings of Everblight by their side. Fighting with little regard for personal safety, howling warbands descend upon their foes crazed by the prospect of spilling blood for their war chiefs and their korune, Thagrosh. Even mortal wounds suffered in battle do not deter them. Instead, such injuries goad them to drive even deeper into the enemy’s heart to shed even more blood before they expire.
Most of the models/units that comprise the bulk of this theme aren't due to be released until 2018.
Theme Force Restrictions
A Primal Terrors army can only include models from the following list:
Theme Force Bonuses
- You may include one Minion unit and one Minion solo that will work for Legion.
- These models can be included even if they have the Partisan [Legion] rule.
- Minion units in this army can include attachments.
- For every 20 points spent on Legion units in this army, you can add one Hellmouth unit, or one Blighted Ogrun CA, or one medium-based Blighted Ogrun solo free of cost.
- Free models don't count towards the 20 points.
- Blighted Ogrun Warmonger units gain Vengeance. (Vengeance - During your Maintenance Phase, if one or more models in a unit with Vengeance were damaged by enemy attacks during the last round, each model in the unit can advance 3" and make one basic melee attack.)
- You get +2" deployment
Thoughts on this Theme Force
This model/theme has only recently been released, and the content in the "Thoughts On" section is based more on theory-machine than actual gameplay experience.
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Primal Terrors in a nutshell
- Ogruns everywhere! And also the usual "one unit in the theme force can take mercs/minions" thing.
- Oh and also FREE HELLMOUTHS!
Theme's weaknesses and Overcoming them
- As it turns out Ogruns aren't exactly the best units Legion has to offer despite their natural muscle. You may be able to make mince meat out of infantry but so does a lot of other units, especially the excellent Swordsmen.
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Partisans
- When you take a Partisan Mercenary, it counts as your Faction. However this doesn't increase the number of total mercenaries allowed. (Infernal Ruling)
- Exception: If the Partisan Mercenary is explicitedly listed as one of the models you can take in the theme (such as Cephalyx in Cryx's Black Industries theme), then you can take the full FA plus your "up to one Merc" allotment. (Infernal Ruling)
- Sometimes a specific Mercenary/Minion model/unit will gain a theme benefit of "If this model is included, it counts as a Faction model" (such as Greygore in Kriel Company). In this case, the model/unit might or might not count against your "up to one merc" limit:
- If that Merc is in the list of models explicitly allowed (such as Savio in Storm Division), they won't count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- If that Merc isn't in the list, (such as the Devil's Shadows in Slaughter Fleet Raiders), they will count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- Partisans will count towards any relevant free points. For instance, Nyss will count twoards the "20 points of Retribution units" in the Defenders of Ios theme. (Infernal Ruling)
- Partisans can be eligible to be taken as free choices. For instance, Erysis1 can be taken as a free solo in the Legion of Dawn theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
- If you can include a Merc unit, and its attachments, then you can attach a Ranking Officer. This is true regardless of what the "Allowed models" are. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you do, that Merc unit will count towards your "X points of [Faction] models/units" benefit (if your theme is worded that way). (Infernal Ruling)
- As per the errata to the core rules, if your "up to one Merc" ...
- ... can take warbeasts/warjacks, then you can add warbeast(s)/warjack(s) (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
- ... comes with a Companion model, then you'll get that Companion (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
Bonus - One [X] gains [Y]
- If you need to choose which models get your theme bonus, then you do this choice after deployment. (Infernal Ruling)
- An example is how Winter Guard Kommand gives Advance Move to one-warjack-of-your-choice-per-WG-unit.
- In comparison, Destruction Initiative gives all Servitors the Shield Guard ability so you don't need to "make" a choice.
- You should still write on your army list how many of these bonuses you get to hand out, though, so your opponent can clearly see. (Infernal Ruling)
- ie at the bottom of your list, you'd write "3 warjacks gain Advance Move" but you don't need to state which three are going to get the bonus.
Theme Forces, free models, and Specialists in Steamroller
- When you make substitutions to your list, you need to double-check that you haven't removed something that allows you to take free models.
- If you have, then you either need to remove those free models, or pay full points cost for them.
Unit Attachments & free points
- If a unit counts towards your free points, then all attachments count too; regardless of whether the attachment is the same model type. For instance:
Theme - Black Industries
- Carapace only applies to Cryx heavy warjacks, and not to Merc warjacks. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Llaelese Resistance
- It is 2 Cruicible or 2 Cygnar or 2 Menoth.
You can't take more than 2, and you can't mix and match from multiple Factions. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Ambush (Edit)
- Whether a model/unit is going to use Ambush or not needs to be declared before either player begins deploying models.
- Ambush occurs last in Step 5 of the Control Phase. You cannot use Apparition on a model that Ambushes. (Infernal Ruling)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: Primal Terrors