Theme - Operating Theater
This theme force is used to field the inscrutable forces of Cephalyx.
Theme Force Restrictions
Army can only include Mercenary models from the following list:
- Cephalyx warcasters
- Non-character monstrosities
- Cephalyx models/units
- Non-Cephalyx mercenary units with the Cephalyx Dominator
- Captain Sam MacHorne & the Devil Dogs can bring one jack marshalled mercenary warjack if they are the dominated unit (Feb 2017 errata)
Theme Force Bonuses
- For every full 30 points of units in this army, you can add one Cephalyx Overlords unit to the army free of cost.
- Free units do not count toward the total point value of units in the army when calculating this bonus.
- Monstrosities gain Hyper-Aggressive. (Hyper-Aggressive - When this model suffers damage from an enemy attack, except when advancing, after the attack it can make a full advance directly towards the attacker.)
- One Mind Slaver unit gains Ambush. (Ambush - This unit may choose not to deploy normally, and instead be deployed completely within 3" of the edge of the board on any turn after the first. )
- Any and all units counts towards the first bonus, not just Drudges.
- Captain Sam, if Dominated, can take a warjack. She is the only one in this situation, being the only mercenary unit with Jack Marshal.
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Instead of Warjacks or Warbeasts, the Cephalyx use Monstrosities; Monstrosities are all cheap, with low armour and a lot of damage boxes (and can be healed like Warbeasts); their brain fulfils the functions of a cortex but (unfortunately for Cygnarans and their shock-weapons) isn't one. Most importantly they aren't warjacks so anything that specifically effects warjacks won't affect them (like a whole lot of spells). They also power up when they get damaged (feel free to scratch them with Cephalyx using Anatomical Precision) and keep their Focus from round to round. Also in theme they are all hyper-aggressive.
Playing as a Cephalyx player is like playing as the dealer in a game of three card monte. Most of your Cephalyx Drudges, and your monstrosities are awful, but some are going to be outstanding. And you get to decide which ones. Which of your heavies becomes the arc node for the turn. Which of your Cephalyx Drudges leaps from a poor MAT and decent attack power to an amazing MAT and attack power. And which of your Drudges gets turned into a walking bomb or spray. But there is one way to "win" a game of three card monte as the punter that's illegal in the real world. Punch the dealer in the face. In your case it's not just your Warcaster; you need to keep your unit leaders safe. The death of the Mind Bender or Mind Slaver leave you with awful troops who need to huddle together. If your Cephalyx Dominator dies your mercs run away. And your Cephalyx Agitator and Cephalyx Overlords are the key to actually hitting. Everything else is disposable.
For really heavy armour you can use one of the Mind Bender's tricks and a Combined Melee Attack well to give Drudges in the Slaver unit a MAT in double figures, and a P+S just short of 20. This is not something even the most extreme ARM-skew lists are going to survive if they make contact. Defensively, Thralls have all the DEF of a heavy warjack, and ARM high enough to make blast damage not much of an issue (although they die to any direct hits). Oh, and they are tough. As, thanks to the Dominator, are any mercenaries you brought along (always assuming you didn't shank the Dominator on turn 1 so that your opponent couldn't take your mercs out of the game on turn 3). This means that a Cephalyx list is basically a massive wave of tough, almost blast-immune infantry that excels at breaking heavy armour. And gets destroyed by enemies with good spot-removal abilitie.
- Drudges are effectively an all-or-nothing proposition. Awful troops but sometimes quantity has a quality all of its own and many lists simply can't kill 60+ points split between Drudges and Alexia Ciannor & the Risen and picking up two free units of Cephalyx Overlords fast enough. This works out at just over a point per model for tough troops (with Alexia recycling the killed drudges for even more annoyance).
- If going for only some infantry there are a lot of good ways of getting to or just over 30 points for the free Overlords starting with two Cephalyx Dominators and possibly one unit of Mind Slavers to ambush or be sacrificed to power Cyphon. Favourite units include Lady Aiyana & Master Holt, Press Gangers, and Croe's Cutthroats with Exulon Thexus.
- Spamming Monstrosities can work pretty effectively. They are cheap, tough. and with a Cephalyx Agitator hit hard.
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category:Operating Theater
|Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Cryx||The Ghost Fleet - Infernal Machines||(Edit)|
|Cygnar||Storm Division - Heavy Metal - Sons of the Tempest||(Edit)|
|Khador||Winter Guard Kommand - Legion of Steel - Jaws of the Wolf||(Edit)|
|Protectorate of Menoth||The Creator's Might - Guardians of the Temple - Exemplar Interdiction||(Edit)|
|Retribution of Scyrah||Forges of War - Defenders of Ios - Shadows of the Retribution||(Edit)|
|Mercenaries||Hammer Strike - The Kingmaker's Army - Operating Theater||(Edit)|
|Convergence of Cyriss||Destruction Initiative||(Edit)|
|Circle Orboros||The Bones of Orboros - The Devourer's Host - The Wild Hunt||(Edit)|
|Legion of Everblight||Ravens of War - Children of the Dragon - Oracles of Annihilation||(Edit)|
|Skorne||Winds of Death||(Edit)|
|Trollbloods||Band of Heroes - Power of Dhunia||(Edit)|
|Minions||The Blindwater Congregation - The Thornfall Alliance||(Edit)|
|Grymkin||Dark Menagerie - Bump in the Night||(Edit)|