Theme - Masters of War
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Theme - Masters of War
Skorne Theme Force
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A Masters of War army can only include Skorne models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.04
|Skorne warlocks||Too many to bother listing|
| Non-character warbeasts without ranged weapons
|The following extra warbeasts|
|Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer|
|Paingiver Beast Handlers units|
|Mortitheurge Willbreaker solos|
Theme Force Bonuses
- You can include up to one minion unit and up to one minion solo
- For every 20 points of Praetorian and Cataphract models/units you get one free command attachment or one Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer
- Free models don't count towards the points limit.
- Skorne warrior models gain "optional Take Down". (Take Down (Theme version) - Models disabled in melee by this model cannot use Tough. Models boxed in melee by this model can be RFP'd if you so choose.)
- Gain +1 to starting roll
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Masters of War in a Nutshell
This is an incredibly flexible list, and can be played as anything from a cataphract-and-minion gunline to the (more common) melee infantry mob. The current limitation to it is that there are only a tiny handful of free possibilities (the Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer, and command attachments for the Cataphract Cetrati, Praetorian Swordsmen, and Praetorian Karax).
With all the Remove From Play effects it's an excellent counter to the notorious Cryx Ghost Fleet or various other recursion effects.
A quick note on sportsmanship. Though your warriors' attacks can RFP a model, it is not the same as having RFP on them all the time. In the spirit of fair play always inform your opponent whether or not you'll use the RFP feature. If you miss that, they can assume that the model was destroyed and not removed from play, causing a whole lot of confusion (soul collecting, eligibility for revival, etc).
List Building Tips
This is far too flexible a theme force to have anything like a standard build (unlike e.g. The Exalted). Supreme Archdomina Makeda alone has effective lists ranging from two maximum units of Praetorian Ferox, Tyrant Rhadeim, a maximum unit of Cataphract Cetrati and two TyComs and Vorkesh for free to five maximum units of Praetorian Swordsmen all with Command Attachments, Vengeance, and protected by her Deflection. And the nostalgic will be bringing out the Fist of Halaak and playing Tyrant Xerxis with a huge mess of Cataphracts.
Still, some units stand out.
- Praetorian Ferox are the perfect number of points to get a free Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer and love the extra 2" of leaping threat range.
- Cataphract Cetrati are only two points short of getting Tyrant Vorkesh for free.
- Praetorian Swordsmen plus either the Legends of Halaak or Tyrant Rhadeim get the Swordsmen attachment for free.
- The Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer only gives Pathfinder to Praetorian Keltarii and less than that to the Legends of Halaak and the Praetorian Swordsmen - all other units have reasons to want to walk. (It's probably a better choice for Praetorian Karax than the UA is).
Casters of Note
Almost any infantry caster loves this list (other than Zaal; see below).
- Supreme Archdomina Makeda loves this list to pieces. There are lots of great options for her; a couple are:
- "Makeda 2 Kit-Kat"/Meowkeda (Makeda 2 with two full units of Ferox) was a very popular tournament list even before the theme. This way for each unit of Ferox you get a free TyCom
- Spamming Praetorian Swordsmen to take advantage of Vengeance then using Deflection to prevent them being shot off the board.
- Tyrant Xerxis is absolutely great with hordes of infantry, letting them move through each other and hit hard - all of which works superbly with Masters of War. The nostalgic can even put together a classic Fist of Halaak, getting free models rather than cut price Cataphracts.
- Dominar Morghoul & Escorts have been waiting for this list for a long time. It has everything he wants including Aptimus Marketh - although he probably wants Bone Grinders as his minion unit.
- Void Seer Mordikaar gets everything he wants except Void Spirits - but they get shot off the board thanks to threat ranges and Despoiler can make them.
- Archdomina Makeda is a great and flexible warlock and this gives her a collection of extra boosts with things that work well with her.
- Supreme Aptimus Zaal & Kovaas lose his Kovaas stuff but love to have high quality infantry to play with.
- Zaal the Ancestral Advocate can play this theme but prefers The Exalted to leverage his feat.
- Beast Master Xekaar is unpopular, period. This list does little for him.
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
| Mercenaries and Partisans
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category:Masters of War