Theme - Legions of Dawn
Retribution Theme Force
The proud Dawnguard soldiers of House Nyarr represent one of the greatest assets in the Retribution of Scyrah’s arsenal. These oath-sworn warriors boast martial traditions stretching back millennia and make up the elite soldiery of the Retribution. Bearing the most advanced weapons and armor of their Great Military House, they are implacable warriors devoted to House Nyarr and through it the Retribution’s cause.
Theme Force Restrictions
A Legions of Dawn army can only include Retribution models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.09
|Retribution warcasters||Too many to bother listing|
| Non-character warjacks
||Too many to bother listing|
|The following specific models:|
|Up to one Mercenary solo and one Mercenary unit|
Theme Force Bonuses
- You may include one Mercenary solo and one Mercenary unit that will work for Retribution.
- These models can be included even if they have the Partisan [Retribution] rule.
- Mercenary units in this army can include attachments.
- For every full 20 points of Dawnguard model/units in your army, you can add one Dawnguard CA, or a small-based Retribution solo to the army free of cost.
- Free models don't count towards the 20 points.
- While controlled by a Jack Marshal, Retribution warjacks gain Flank [Dawnguard]. (Flank [Dawnguard] - This model gains +2 to hit and +d6 damage for melee attacks vs enemy models in the melee range of other Dawnguard models.)
- Your deployment zone is increased by 2".
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Legions of Dawn in a nutshell
A nice, combined-arms theme for your Dawnguards - mainly for Sentinels, but all other models can greatly benefit from the extended deployment zone. The flanking theme bonus is also real nice, and with proper combination you can turn even a pillow-fisted light into a force of destruction. The easiest way to unlock the 40 pts threshold is to get 2 Sentinels+UA, gaining one of the attachment and a Scyir for free.
Theme weaknesses & Mitigating them
- The Scyir is a crucial model in your army - lose him, and you'll lose the flank bonus too. Apart of that, this theme is pretty solid.
List Building tips
- The Scyir is a linchpin model and you'll probably never consider this theme without him. It will give you movement flexibility with Tactician for your infantry (and cavalry), and so far he is the only model, which helps you triggering the Flank bonus for your warjacks.
- Being such an important model, if you put an expensive warjack under his care, you'll just draw an even bigger bulls-eye on him. Stick to cheap myrmidons, like the Aspis, or the Griffon.
- Dawnguard Sentinels - of all the Dawnguard units they have the longest melee range to trigger Flank. The 2" extra deployment also helps you with an alpha strike.
- Arcanist_Mechanik - Concentrated power, along with the free focus from Empower on a marshalled warjack can be pure evil. If you stack Flank, Concentrated Power, Empower and either Hurry or Crush on lowly Griffon, you can have anything between a MAT8 P+S19+4D6 on the charge (plus an extra attack with one less die), or charging for free with MAT10 P+S17+4D6, and using up to 2 FOCUS to buy 2 extra P+S15 pseudo-weapon master attacks. All that from an 8-point jack, from a possibly free solo, and 6 pts of repair crew that you will take anyway.
Casters of Note
- Magister Helynna - Deceleration is all that takes to deliver your Sentinels or Destors to the enemy, and you can add an additional layer of protection with your feat.
- Issyria, Sibyl of Dawn - great movement boost with Crusader's Call, and another ARM boost. Her feat is a reverse Star-Crossed on steroids.
- Vyros1 and Vyros2 - yet 2 more casters with ARM booster, with great spells for their battelgroup too. The prime incarnation's feat extends the Flank bonus for your entire army, while the epic incarnation's veteran bonus will make your hits all the more deadlier (goes for the ones you deliver under Vengeance too).
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: Legions of Dawn