Trollblood Theme Force
The trollkin of the United Kriels will stop at nothing to protect their new home. In order to defend against any who would seek to drive them out, militias of resolute trollkin take up arms as companies of warriors. These companies mix traditional martial practices of the trollkin with modern firepower and the might of trolls to crush any opposition.
Theme Force Restrictions
A Kriel Company army can only include models from the following list:
Theme Force Bonuses
- You may include one Minion unit and one Minion solo that will work for Trollbloods.
- These models can be included even if they have the Partisan [Trollblood] rule.
- Minion units in this army can include attachments.
- If Greygore Boomhowler & Co. or Dannon Blythe & Bull are included in this army, they are considered to be Trollblood units instead of Minion units.
- For every 20 points spent on Trollblood units and/or Trollblood battle engines in this army, you can add one Trollblood weapon crew unit, or one Trollblood CA, or one medium-based Trollbood solo free of cost.
- Free models don't count towards the 20 points.
- Models in this army can ignore other friendly warrior models when determining LOS.
- You gain +1 to your starting roll.
Thoughts on this Theme Force
This model/theme has only recently been released, and the content in the "Thoughts On" section is based more on theory-machine than actual gameplay experience.
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Kriel Company in a nutshell
Kriel Company is the Trollblood ranged infantry theme - which is about all you can say about it. The benefits are bland (a few extra points, a better chance to decide who goes first, and shooting through your own models) and trolls aren't really known for their infantry gunlines. Extra points are always a good thing.
Theme's weaknesses and Overcoming them
Other than the obvious lack of melee infantry a fundamental problem with this list is that troll ranged units don't crack armour effectively - and trolls don't have much in the way of ARM debuffs.
There are three obvious warlocks for this list - the three shooters.
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Partisans
- When you take a Partisan Mercenary, it counts as your Faction. However this doesn't increase the number of total mercenaries allowed. (Infernal Ruling)
- Exception: If the Partisan Mercenary is explicitedly listed as one of the models you can take in the theme (such as Cephalyx in Cryx's Black Industries theme), then you can take the full FA plus your "up to one Merc" allotment. (Infernal Ruling)
- Sometimes a specific Mercenary/Minion model/unit will gain a theme benefit of "If this model is included, it counts as a Faction model" (such as Greygore in Kriel Company). In this case, the model/unit might or might not count against your "up to one merc" limit:
- If that Merc is in the list of models explicitly allowed (such as Savio in Storm Division), they won't count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- If that Merc isn't in the list, (such as the Devil's Shadows in Slaughter Fleet Raiders), they will count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- Partisans will count towards any relevant free points. For instance, Nyss will count twoards the "20 points of Retribution units" in the Defenders of Ios theme. (Infernal Ruling)
- Partisans can be eligible to be taken as free choices. For instance, Erysis1 can be taken as a free solo in the Legion of Dawn theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
- If you can include a Merc unit, and its attachments, then you can attach a Ranking Officer. This is true regardless of what the "Allowed models" are. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you do, that Merc unit will count towards your "X points of [Faction] models/units" benefit (if your theme is worded that way). (Infernal Ruling)
- As per the errata to the core rules, if your "up to one Merc" ...
- ... can take warbeasts/warjacks, then you can add warbeast(s)/warjack(s) (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
- ... comes with a Companion model, then you'll get that Companion (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
Bonus - One [X] gains [Y]
- If you need to choose which models get your theme bonus, then you do this choice after deployment. (Infernal Ruling)
- An example is how Winter Guard Kommand gives Advance Move to one-warjack-of-your-choice-per-WG-unit.
- In comparison, Destruction Initiative gives all Servitors the Shield Guard ability so you don't need to "make" a choice.
- You should still write on your army list how many of these bonuses you get to hand out, though, so your opponent can clearly see. (Infernal Ruling)
- ie at the bottom of your list, you'd write "3 warjacks gain Advance Move" but you don't need to state which three are going to get the bonus.
Theme Forces, free models, and Specialists in Steamroller
- When you make substitutions to your list, you need to double-check that you haven't removed something that allows you to take free models.
- If you have, then you either need to remove those free models, or pay full points cost for them.
Unit Attachments & free points
- If a unit counts towards your free points, then all attachments count too; regardless of whether the attachment is the same model type. For instance:
Theme - Black Industries
- Carapace only applies to Cryx heavy warjacks, and not to Merc warjacks. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Llaelese Resistance
- It is 2 Cruicible or 2 Cygnar or 2 Menoth.
You can't take more than 2, and you can't mix and match from multiple Factions. (Infernal Ruling)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: Kriel Company