Theme - Hammer Strike
Mercenary Theme Force
This theme force is used to field the dwarf and ogre alliance of the Rhulfolk.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A Hammer Strike army can only include models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.01
| Rhulic Non-character warjacks
Theme Force Bonuses
- For every full 20 points of units and battle engines in this army, you can add one weapon crew unit, command attachment, or Ogrun Bokur solo to the army free of cost.
- Free models/units do not count towards the 20 points.
- Heavy warjacks and weapon crew units gain Reposition [3"]. (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Your deployment is extended 2" forward.
- Warrior models gain Tough
- Battle Engines now count towards the free points.
- Warrior models gain tough.
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Hammer Strike in a nutshell
Extended deployment zone, and heavies with Reposition are good things. Repositioning Horgenhold Artillery Corps is better. Tough on high ARM models is alright.
Warmachine has a small but passionate collection of Dwarf players, and this theme is just for them.
Theme strengths and playing to them
Dwarves can field a lot of ARM and boxes, they're all tough and they are adept at both ranged and melee combat. Hammer Strike rewards taking units and Crawlers, so 20 Forge Guard and 2 Crawlers is something to seriously consider to get your three free picks.
Theme weakness and mitigating them
It is the slowest army in the game. Ossrum mitigates this, however Gorten and Durgen do not and you may struggle to contest those distant flags and zones in certain scenarios.
On early turns your heavy warjacks will get further with a Trample + Reposition than they would with a regular Run.
High Shields and Ogrun Assault Corps aren't exactly the greatest units, so you're basically only going to take Forge Guard and Siege Crawlers to get freebies.
Tactical Arcanist Corps are the only magical attacks in the entire army besides your caster. This makes Hammer Strike unplayable into Cryx for all intents and purposes.
List Building Tips
Several ways to max out free points:
- 20 points: Two minimum units of Forge Guard (20 points)
- 21 points: Full unit of Forge Guard (16 points), and Herne & Jonne (5 points)
- 22 points: Full unit of Forge Guard (16 points) and a unit of artillery (6 points)
- 23 points: Siege Crawler (18 points) and Herne & Jonne (5 points).
- 40 points: Full unit of Forge Guard (16 points), a Siege Crawler (18 points), and a unit of artillery (6 points)
- 41 points: Two Siege Crawlers (18 points), and Herne and Jonne. With two free artillery corps this is sometimes known as Full Madhammer.
- 41 points: Siege Crawler (18 points), 10 Forge Guard (16 points), Tactical Arcanist Corps (7 points)
- 42 points: Two full units of Forge Guard (32 points) and one minimum unit (10 points)
- 60 points: Two full units of Forge Guard (32 points), a minimum unit of Forge Guard (10 points) and a Siege Crawler (18 points)
Ogrun Assault Corps could stand in for any unit of Forge Guard, but are universally considered a poor choice.
The Artillery Corps are considered the best item to take as the freebie, rather than a Bokur or a High Shields CA; to take the CA would first mean taking High Shields (there is of course nothing wrong with the Bokur).
This was an Ossrum only theme prior to the Tough errata and the release of Irregulars. Now there is debate about whether Ossrum is better in Hammer Strike or Irregulars due to the greater options available in the latter, vs. the Rhulic-specific bonuses of the former. The major difference being Ossrum can be built to beat Cryx in Irregulars, but not in Hammer Strike. Ossrum suffers a free points penalty for taking a large battle group in Hammer Strike, but also for taking a Crawler in Irregulars so it sort of balances out because he wants both in his army.
There is no debate that Durgen is much better in Irregulars.
With the addition of Tough, a compelling case can be made for Gorten to use this theme over Irregulars since he can keep Tough models upright and put walls in front of them.
In Mk1 and Mk2 this was known as The Searforge Commission.
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category:Hammer Strike