Theme - Hammer Strike
Fighting in the wars of the Iron Kingdoms has allowed the mercenaries of Rhul to stay apprised of the ongoing struggles abroad. These sell-swords fatten the coffers of mercenary clans and receive valuable combat experience against a variety of opponents. Numerous such clans offer the might of Rhulic ’jacks and veteran warriors to those who can afford their asking price. Together they crush enemy armies to dust beneath the tread of their machines and an unceasing rain of hammer blows.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A Hammer Strike army can only include models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.09
| Rhulic Non-character warjacks
Theme Force Bonuses
- For every full 20 points of units and battle engines in this army, you can add one weapon crew unit, command attachment, or Ogrun Bokur solo to the army free of cost.
- Free models/units do not count towards the 20 points.
- Heavy warjacks and weapon crew units gain Reposition [3"]. (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Your deployment is extended 2" forward.
- Warrior models gain Tough.
- Battle Engines now count towards the free points.
- Warrior models gain tough.
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Hammer Strike in a nutshell
This theme force is used to field the dwarf and ogre alliance of the Rhulfolk. Warmachine has a small but passionate collection of Dwarf players, and this theme is just for them.
Extended deployment zone, and heavies with Reposition are good things. Repositioning Horgenhold Artillery Corps is better. Tough on high ARM models is alright.
Dwarves can field a lot of ARM and boxes, they're all tough and they are adept at both ranged and melee combat. Hammer Strike rewards taking units and Crawlers, so 20 Forge Guard and 2 Crawlers is something to seriously consider to get your three free picks.
Theme weakness and mitigating them
It is the slowest army in the game. Ossrum mitigates this to an extent, however Gorten and Durgen do not and you may struggle to contest those distant flags and zones in certain scenarios.
The limited choices makes this theme tough to run. Most of the Rhulic units are considered subpar, while their warjacks are good to excellent. The lack of solos means that some flag scoring may not be possible.
On early turns your heavy warjacks will get further with a Trample + Reposition than they would with a regular Run.
Many Rhulic units aren't exactly the greatest choices, so you're basically only going to take Forge Guard and Siege Crawlers to get freebies.
Tactical Arcanist Corps are the only magical attacks in the entire army besides your caster. This makes Hammer Strike nearly unplayable into Cryx for all intents and purposes.
List Building Tips
Several ways to max out free points:
- 20 points: Two minimum units of Forge Guard (20 points)
- 21 points: Full unit of Forge Guard (16 points), and Herne & Jonne (5 points)
- 22 points: Full unit of Forge Guard (16 points) and a unit of artillery (6 points)
- 23 points: Siege Crawler (18 points) and Herne & Jonne (5 points).
- 40 points: Full unit of Forge Guard (16 points), a Siege Crawler (18 points), and a unit of artillery (6 points)
- 41 points: Two Siege Crawlers (18 points), and Herne and Jonne. With two free artillery corps this is sometimes known as Full Madhammer.
- 41 points: Siege Crawler (18 points), 10 Forge Guard (16 points), Tactical Arcanist Corps (7 points)
- 42 points: Two full units of Forge Guard (32 points) and one minimum unit (10 points)
- 60 points: Two full units of Forge Guard (32 points), a minimum unit of Forge Guard (10 points) and a Siege Crawler (18 points)
Ogrun Assault Corps could stand in for any unit of Forge Guard, but are universally considered a poor choice.
The Artillery Corps are considered the best item to take as the freebie, rather than a Bokur or a High Shields CA; to take the CA would first mean taking High Shields (there is of course nothing wrong with the Bokur).
Ossrum used to love this theme exclusively, even before it got buffed with Tough. Now however, since the release of the Irregulars theme force, there is some debate about whether he prefers the Rhulic-specific buffs of Hammer Strike or the flexibility of the Irregulars. The major difference being Ossrum can be built to beat Cryx in Irregulars, but not in Hammer Strike.
Ossrum likes to include a large battlegroup and the Siege Crawler in his force. A large battlegroup doesn't count towards free points in Hammer Strike (but does in Irregulars), and the Crawler doesn't count towards free points in Irregulars (but does in Hammer Strike). So it sort of balances out.
There is no debate that Durgen is much better in Irregulars where he can take Reinholdt and bring units that work well with Primed.
With the addition of Tough to Hammer Strike, a compelling case can be made for Gorten to use this theme over Irregulars since he can keep Tough models upright and put walls in front of them.
In Mk1 and Mk2 this was known as The Searforge Commission.
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
| Mercenaries and Partisans
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category:Hammer Strike