Theme - Armored Korps
|Articles you can help complete (Edit)|
With a hiss of steam and the tread of iron, the heavily armored infantry of Khador march to war with heavy warjacks at their side. Though Khador lacks the light warjacks of other nations, they make up for it with a dedicated corps of soldiers who go to war in steam-powered armor. Few opponents possess the weaponry able to chew through so thick a wall of armor, allowing the Man-O-War to crush enemy emplacements.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
An Armored Korps army can only include models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2018.02
|Khador warcasters||Too many to bother listing|
| Non-character warjacks
||Too many to bother listing|
|Various specific models|
|Up to one mercenary unit and one mercenary solo.||Too many to bother listing|
Theme Force Bonuses
- This army can include one Mercenary solo and one Mercenary unit that will work for Khador.
- These models/units can be included even if they have the Partisan [Khador] rule.
- Mercenary units can have attachments.
- For every full 20 points of Man-o-War models/units gain free a free Khador CA, Tanker solo, or Kovnik solo.
- Free models don't count towards the 20 points.
- Gain +1 to all Repair rolls.
- All Man-O-War Battle Engines and Tanker solos gain Advance Move. (Advance Move - Before the start of the game but after both players have deployed, a model with Advance Move can make a full advance.)
2018.02 Armored Korps CID - The core theme force rules didn't change, but a bunch new models were released:
- Sorscha3, Kommandant Atanas Arconovich & Standard, Man-o-War Suppression Tanker, Man-o-War Strike Tanker, Man-o-War Siege Chariot, Man-o-War Assault Chariot, and new CAs for the Bombardiers and Demolition Corps
CID week 2 v2. Theme Force Benefit 3 change:
- for every full 20 points of Man-O-War or Mechanik models/units in this army, you can add one Khador command attachment, Tanker solo, or medium-based Man-O-War solo to the army free of cost. Free models do not count toward the total point value of Man-O-War models/units in the army when calculating this bonus.
CID week 2 v3. Theme Force Benefit 4 change:
- For every unit in the army, one Man-O-War model/unit in this army can gain Advance Move - Before the start of the game but after both players have deployed, a model with Advance Move can make a full advance.
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Please feel free to update the article and remove this warning.
Armored Korps in a nutshell
Do you like heavy metal? Because this is a way to run it. When you run an Armored Korps list, you run a relatively slow, yet highly survivable army. Many opponents will find a MoW heavy army difficult to deal with due to the combination of high ARM and multiple hit boxes. Traditional armor cracking techniques are less effective due to the sheer number of models on the board and most infantry killing methods pose little risk for Shock Trooper units in Shield Wall.
Theme weaknesses & mitigating them
An Armored Korps army has two major weaknesses: speed/mobility and versatility.
- Speed/mobility can be mitigated using various methods, most obvious is the Man O War Kovnik's Desperate Pace. For this reason alone at least two Kovniks are recommended in an Armored Korps army. Additional methods are through spells or feats which grant speed or pathfinder, such as Vald 3's Dash, Kozlov's Onrush, Supreme Kommandant Irusk's Desperate Ground, the Old Witch's Weald Secrets, Kommander Oleg Strakhov's Iron Fist and more. Yet, it is clear to see that the only reliable methods are the Kovnik's Desperate Pace and Vlad's Dash. Sadly, other than Dash, the Great Prince of Umbrey does little to support an Armored Korps army other than casting Hand of Fate on a selected unit.
- Versatility is a big issue in a slow army which has low threat range and very mediocre inherit long range capabilities. In other words, not only it's hard to take your opponent by surprise, simply mitigating basic threats like flanking or incorporeal enemies can be a challenge. Mitigating versatility is hard but possible if you carefully select of the jacks and solos you bring. The best way to increase versatility is to take jacks and solos are not (necessarily) beatsticks, but bring other forms of utility to your army.
- Long Range - for protecting your flanks and the ability to reach your opponent's rear
- Knock down/throw/slam capabilities - for controlling the battlefield and maintaining the ability for a sneak assassination from time to time
- Magic attacks - for ensuring that Incorporeal models don't completely ruin your plans
Additionally, to a lesser degree an Armored Korps army also suffers from the following minor weaknesses
- Armor Cracking - the Demo Corps are weaker now than ever before and need help cracking armor
- Crowd handling - expensive models can easily be bogged down by multiple cheap models
List Building Tips
With the deep weaknesses inherit in an Armored Korps army, sadly very few casters actually have good synergies with it.
- Irusk2 is the go-to caster for an Armored Korps list due to the following synergies:
- Tough + Solid Ground + 8 damage boxes + ARM 21 turns your opponent's tactical problems into strategic ones. It's one thing to kill a single hard-to-kill model, but 20 models with high ARM, Tough, and immunity to knock down is a different challenge altogether.
- Total Obedience is huge in mitigating the crowded nature of MoW armies where dozens of models are crammed together with little space to maneuver (while attempting to avoid difficult terrain where possible). The ability of Demo Corps to hit your opponent's models behind a Shield Wall makes Supreme Kommandant Irusk crucial to the efficiency of an Armored Korps army.
- Blood Lust is an expensive spell but it's exactly what your Men-O-War need in order to crack armor
- You are not likely to have many shooty jacks in an Armored Korps list, Fire for Effect is a great way to get the most out of the one you do have.
- Desperate Ground gives your slow army a turn of Pathfinder, ignoring clouds and forests. In other words: much needed mobility.
- Strakhov2 is different from Irusk 2. Instead of giving uniform benefits to all the units in the army, he can give each unit a spell or an ability which will help it accomplish a specific task.
- Mission Critical is very useful in sending your slow troopers running towards the enemy with little risk of being torn to pieces on the way
- Inviolable Resolve and Quicken are useful to any infantry unit and when a push comes to shove, Last Stand can also buy an expensive victory
- Vlad3 has Dash which is great for a bit of extra speed, but that's about it. Although Hand of Fate can help one of your units.
- Lord Kozlov, Viscount of Scarsgrad is not the first choice for leading an Armored Korps army but his feat Onrush and Tactical Supremacy can be of some assistance to your army.
Assuming you'll be spending 60 points on MoW models and a few on support solos, there's not much leftover for jacks and it's wise to invest only your caster's bonus WJP on jacks instead of using the general points budget.
- Conquest - directly opposing the previous recommendation by eating most of your meager surplus points budget, a Colossal behind lines of Men-O-War is challenge indeed as it is all but safe from melee attacks until it can engage. Additionally, it mitigates some Armored Korps weaknesses like range, armor cracking and it also brings utility in form of Creeping Barrage, two handed throws etc
- Destroyer - a very straightforward shooter with some armor cracking if you need it
- Kodiak - Pathfinder and Grab & Smash are two "surprise" utilities which will assist you in creating tactical solutions normally not available to a slow and ponderous Men-O-War army.
- Marauder - yes, Marauder. Cheap and accurate, it can create tactical options for you by precision slams.
- Spriggan - the biggest strain on your limited warjack resources, but it brings Bulldoze, anti infantry AOEs, anti stealth and a long shiny stick to stab the enemies of the motherland from 2" away.
Released in the Themeopocalpse (2017.09) before many of the models in the theme were available.
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
| Mercenaries and Partisans
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category:Armored Korps