Protectorate Theme Force
The word of the Creator of Man is law, and by the will of the faithful his designs are made material. The clergy of the Protectorate march to war arrayed as an army worthy of Menoth, channelling the power of Menite relics that predate the priest-kings while chanting prayers drawn from holy writ and ancient inscriptions. Their mighty sanctified machines rumble across the battlefield to clash with those who would deny the glory of Menoth. great wheels bearing the weight of consecrated edifices grind ever onward, accompanied by the hymns of warpriests. In righteous splendour menoth's most devout servants go forth to battle blessed by his might.
Theme Force Restrictions
A The Creator's Might army can only include Protectorate models from the following list:
Theme Force Bonuses
- This army can include one Mercenary solo and one Mercenary unit that will work for the Protectorate.
- These models/units can be included even if they have the Partisan [Protectorate] rule.
- Mercenary units can have attachments.
- For every 25 points of Protectorate warjacks and Protectorate battle engines, you can add three Wrack solos, or one small- or medium-based Protectorate solo free of cost
- Protectorate solos and the Choir of Menoth gain Reposition [3"]. (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Friendly models/units can begin the game affected by the upkeep spells of models in this army.
- These spells and their targets must be declared before either player deploys any models.
- Models in this army do not have to pay to upkeep their spells during your first turn of the game.
- Applies to Battlegroup Controllers
- Battlegroup Controllers now benefit from free upkeeps.
- Gained access to Mercs, no other changes
Thoughts on this Theme Force
The Creator's Might in a Nutshell
This is an All Jacks All The Time theme force. If you wanted an almost all jack army (e.g. with High Allegiant Amon Ad-Raza) it's basically free points. If you wanted to screen your jacks with something other than a Choir of Menoth then it might be less useful.
Theme weanesses & Mitigating them
Casters of Note
Rules Clarification : Reposition (Edit)
- Models out of formation cannot move via Reposition. Refer to the "Out of Formation" rules in the core rulebook.
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at the end of activation" (such as Sprint) after resolving Reposition, because your activation has ended. (Infernal Ruling) See also this article for a detailed explanation.
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at any time" (such as Go To Ground) during a Reposition. Because you can't trigger it while moving, and after moving your activation has ended. (Infernal Ruling)
- This holds true even if it's a unit with multiple Reposition moves. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Warning: This is a long one.
| Mercenaries and Partisans
- When you take a Partisan Mercenary, it counts as your Faction. However this doesn't increase the number of total mercenaries allowed. (Infernal Ruling)
- Exception: If the Partisan Mercenary is explicitedly listed as one of the models you can take in the theme (such as Cephalyx in Cryx's Black Industries theme), then you can take the full FA plus your "up to one Merc" allotment. (Infernal Ruling)
- Sometimes a specific Mercenary/Minion model/unit will gain a theme benefit of "If this model is included, it counts as a Faction model" (such as Greygore in Kriel Company). In this case, the model/unit might or might not count against your "up to one merc" limit:
- If that Merc is in the list of models explicitly allowed (such as Savio in Storm Division), they won't count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- If that Merc isn't in the list, (such as the Devil's Shadows in Slaughter Fleet Raiders), they will count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- Partisans will count towards any relevant free points. For instance, Nyss will count twoards the "20 points of Retribution units" in the Defenders of Ios theme. (Infernal Ruling)
- Partisans can be eligible to be taken as free choices. For instance, Erysis1 can be taken as a free solo in the Legion of Dawn theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
- If you can include a Merc unit, and its attachments, then you can attach a Ranking Officer. This is true regardless of what the "Allowed models" are. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you do, that Merc unit will count towards your "X points of [Faction] models/units" benefit (if your theme is worded that way). (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenary Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Companions
- As per the errata to the core rules, if your "up to one Merc" ...
- ... can take warbeasts/warjacks, then you can add warbeast(s)/warjack(s) (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
- ... comes with a Companion model, then you'll get that Companion (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
Bonus - One [X] gains [Y]
- If you need to choose which models get your theme bonus, then you do this choice after deployment. (Infernal Ruling)
- An example is how Winter Guard Kommand gives Advance Move to one-warjack-of-your-choice-per-WG-unit.
- In comparison, Destruction Initiative gives all Servitors the Shield Guard ability so you don't need to "make" a choice.
- You should still write on your army list how many of these bonuses you get to hand out, though, so your opponent can clearly see. (Infernal Ruling)
- ie at the bottom of your list, you'd write "3 warjacks gain Advance Move" but you don't need to state which three are going to get the bonus.
Theme Forces, free models, and Specialists in Steamroller
- When you make substitutions to your list, you need to double-check that you haven't removed something that allows you to take free models.
- If you have, then you either need to remove those free models, or pay full points cost for them.
Unit Attachments & free points
- If a unit counts towards your free points, then all attachments count too; regardless of whether the attachment is the same model type. For instance:
Theme - Black Industries
- Carapace only applies to Cryx heavy warjacks, and not to Merc warjacks. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Llaelese Resistance
- It is 2 Cruicible or 2 Cygnar or 2 Menoth.
You can't take more than 2, and you can't mix and match from multiple Factions. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - The Bones of Orboros
- Una1 cannot be taken in this theme (yet) due to the conflict between the theme's "Only Construct warbeasts allowed" and Una1's "Must take warbeasts with flight". There are no construct warbeasts with flight (yet). But if/when there is, then Una1 can be taken in this theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Theme - Call of the Wild
- When it comes to other things that alter COST (such as Lamentation), follow basic maths: Double/halve first, then add/subtract.
- Due to the way Tanith's feat is worded, during her feat turn the COST of animi cannot drop below 1. (Infernal Ruling)
Models in this category
Refer to Category: The Creator's Might