The Talon is a black market favourite among mercenaries with enough gold and influence to acquire them. The few moments the Talon's stun lance can provide may be all that is needed to land the critical blow and turn the tide of battle.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Shield - 0.5" reach, P+S 10 melee weapon.
- Shield - This 'weapon' is a shield that provides a cumulative +2 ARM bonus. The bonus doesn't apply if the weapon is crippled or if the damage originates in your back arc.
- Stun Lance - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Tried & True - If this model would be repaired, it repairs 1 extra HP.
Thoughts on Talon
Talon in a nutshell
The Talon is a cheap light that is useful for tying up enemy warjacks or making them stationary. It does have a surprisingly high ARM with its shield. As it is MAT 8 on the charge, 1 focus is often enough to get a decent activation out of it. It's a sturdy piece for 7 points and the bane of fancier warjacks everywhere.
Combos & Synergies
- Warcasters that make their entire battlegroups tougher turn this little jack into a cheap spammable roadblock. That's Captain Bartolo Montador with Batten Down the Hatches and Magnus the Warlord giving them all Unyielding (and extra movement).
- The Talon makes a nice cheap combo with Rutger Shaw, as its shield gives it good armor to play Shield Guard. It gets Flank in Irregulars as well.
- Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs can use a cheap 'jack that can keep up with them and stationary targets so they can hit more easily. Sam's Crush order combined with its Shield let it hit hard while having a nice high ARM.
- Warjacks can shake off stationary for one focus, but If you have a model that causes Disruption (such as Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios or Eiryss, Angel of Retribution ) you can prevent that.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- The Talon is best using its spear to stationary warjacks, but it loses that ability versus non-warjack targets, meaning it's much weaker against Hordes forces.
Tricks and Tips
- The Talon works best with a friendly unit nearby that can activate after it Stalls an enemy warjack to take advantage of the stationary.
Released in Warmachine: Escalation (2004)
Who can take this warjack
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Ashlynn - Caine3 - Captain Bart - Captain Damiano - Gastone2 - Captain Shae - Macbain - Constance - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
|Marshals||Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Raluk Moorclaw - Rutger Shaw - Sam & the Devil Dogs|
Within mercenaries, this warjack can be used in:
- Operating Theater - (Article) (Category) (if you use a Cephalyx Dominator on a Jack Marshal unit)
- The Kingmaker's Army - (Article) (Category)
- The Irregulars - (Article) (Category)
- The Talion Charter - (Article) (Category)
- Llaelese Resistance - (Article) (Category)
Outside of mercenaries, this warjack can be taken in just about every theme force, because there is nearly always at least one merc jack marshal that'll work for any given theme.
Other Mercenary models