Tactical Arcanist Corps
The Tactical Arcanist Corps always work in threes. They undergo training and drilling together until they can meet and even exceed the exacting standards imposed by the Brand of Odom for Rhul’s elite battle mages. They defend those they are contracted to protect with scorching salvos of arcane fire, incinerating those that challenge them.
|Tactical Arcanist Corps|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Thermo Mace - 0.5" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon
- Mercenary - will work as a Cygnar mercenary or Khador mercenary.
- Immunity:Fire - Does not suffer fire damage or fire continuous effect.
- Battle Wizard - Once per turn during its activation, when this model destroys one or more living enemy models with a melee attack, it can use one of its Magic Abilities for free afterwards.
- Righteous Flames - Enemy models that end their activation within 2" of this model suffer continuous fire.
- Magic Ability [ 7 ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast spells. Offensive spells are a (★ Attack) and friendly spells are a (★ Action).
Thoughts on Tactical Arcanist Corps
Tactical Arcanist Corps in a nutshell
The Tactical Arcanist Corps are a very slow unit able to create a smoke wall and that can shoot things with their POW 13 flame blasts. They die like flies but are so low threat that they do not draw much attention. With the Hammerfall Siege Crawler (that returns them to play) they have found a place in the Hammer Strike theme force as a source of clouds, blasts, and magic attacks. Without the Crawler, they are awful. With the Crawler, not so bad actually.
Despite Battle Wizard they are a second wave unit, not a frontline unit. They use smoke clouds to block LOS to your more precious support pieces, and occasionally take potshots with Flame Blast. Late game, they can afford to go for broke in melee and trigger Battle Wizard.
Combos & Synergies
- The Siege Crawler increases their survivability, as mentioned above.
- Cygnar: A unit can fill up Nemo1's Arcane Accumulator all on their own. They can also give a much-needed LOS block for that fragile caster.
- Khador: The Ranking Officer Valachev can give them Zephyr, letting them place a cloud then advance backwards and hide out of LOS.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Too slow to get in front of most things that would like a smoke wall. (Unless it's Ossrum's feat turn.)
- Battle Wizard means you need to get into melee first. MAT 6 is not terrible, but also not great melee stats.
- Low DEF and ARM that dies to direct fire.
- Righteous Flames only triggers once in a blue moon, and even then it only might cause damage a whole round after it is triggered.
Tricks and Tips
- Put them in front of your caster to smoke wall.
- Keep one back so they don't all die and the Crawler can return them to play.
Released in Warmachine: Vengeance (2014)
|Khador (Edit)||Cygnar (Edit)|
Other Mercenary models