Throughout western Immoren the voracious swamp troll lurks in eerie bogs and marshes, waiting for prey to wander within range of its enormous, sticky tongue. At the critical moment it leaps forward, flicking its tongue with deadly accuracy and alarming strength to capture its victim and drag the meal into its voluminous gullet.
Weapons and Attacks
- Tongue Lash - Ranged attack: 8" RNG, POW 10.
- Claw x2 - 0.5" melee RNG, P+S 12.
- Light Warbeast
- Amphibious - This model treats shallow water as open terrain while advancing. While completely in shallow water, this model gains concealment and does not block line of sight.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Dual Attack - This model can make both melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Regeneration [d3] - This model may be forced to heal d3 damage boxes, once per activation. It can't run in the same activation.
- Snacking - When this model boxes a living model with a melee attack, it can choose to remove the boxed model from play. When it does this, this model can remove d3 damage points.
- Swarm - Cost 2
- The caster gains concealment. Living enemy models suffer -2 to attack rolls while within 2" of the caster. Lasts for one round.
Thoughts on Swamp Troll
Swamp Troll in a nutshell
The Swamp Troll is a warbeast that specializes in hunting enemy lights or solos. It sees them, grabs them with its tongue, drags them back to your lines, and there you get to pulp them safely. Or on a crit, RFP that unlucky small-based support/combat solo.
Combos & Synergies
- Most warcasters/warlocks are small or medium-based models that a Swamp Troll can Pull with its ranged attack, shrinking the distance between the enemy leader and your more powerful damage-dealing models.
- Dual attack does not specify an order; charge and kill something for extra threat range before tonguing something else into melee.
- Dual Attack+Power Attack shenanigans: The only Trollbloods model that can throw a multi-wound model to hit another enemy, then ranged attack to pull that same multi-wound model back in for more melee attacks. Interesting applications against Shield Walls or other B2B enemy considerations.
- The Swamp troll is actually better than you might think.....his cost is low and is worth adding him to your list when you have warrior models to deal with.
- When you use him right he can really mess up your enemies plans. Use him with an Axer or a Mauler close by. Shoot a unit model and drag the poor bastard towards you and finish him with a melee attack. With Gunnies (Kill Shot) you can get another free ranged attack and drag another poor bastard towards you for another melee model to kill. This leaves a nice hole in their front line. He's really effective with Gunny.
- Use him on those faster small and medium models that think they are cute and can move fast.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Why do you need a specialist in hunting lights anyway? Lights lose in brawls to both infantry and heavies.
- Its gun is worse than most of its rivals against both infantry and heavies.
- It doesn't hit hard.
Tricks & Tips
- Use Swarm to protect your allies.
- Always boost the ranged attack when fighting warrior models. The increased chance to crit is especially well worth it if you happen to eat a Tough multi-wound model without even having to roll for damage.
Comparison to Mk2
Theme Forces this is a member of
Themes for any-and-all warbeasts (Edit)
- Band of Heroes - (Article) (Category)
- Power of Dhunia - (Article) (Category)
- Storm of the North (Article) (Category)
Other faction models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|