Supreme Kommandant Irusk
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Having failed in his first assault on Northguard, Irusk received a severe dressing down by Empress Vanar. The accusation that he had wasted the lives of his men cut particularly deep. He took a short leave in which he considered falling on his sword, an honorable death for a disgraced soldier such as himself. However he was summoned by the Empress before he could act and promoted to Supreme Kommandant, a direct challenge to his legacy. Irusk knows the empress' unspoken command is that only total victory will suffice. Irusk now enters battle determined to earn his new rank by using all his stratagems and strategic planning to utterly defeat the motherland's enemies.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Supreme Kommandant Irusk
- 3 Other
|Supreme Kommandant Irusk|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Hand Cannon - 12" range, POW 12 gun.
- Endgame - 0.5" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Tactician [Faction warrior] - While in this model's CMD range, friendly Faction warrior models can ignore other friendly Faction warrior models when determining LOS. Friendly Faction warrior models can advance through other friendly Faction warrior models in this model's CMD range if they have enough movement to move completely past them.
- Total Obedience - While in Irusk's command range, friendly living non-warcaster Faction warrior models gain Tough.
Feat : Desperate Ground
Friendly Faction models currently in Irusk's CTRL range
- ignore cloud effects and forests when determining LOS, and
- gain Pathfinder.
- Affected models currently knocked down immediately stand up (unless they became knocked down earlier this turn).
- Enemy models/units begining their activations in Irusk's control range suffer -3 SPD.
Desperate Ground lasts for one round.
- Airburst - Cost 3, range = CTRL, 4" AOE, POW 8
- Target any model in Irusk's CTRL range, ignoring LOS. The attack ignores cover, concealment, elevation, and Stealth. Models hit suffer a POW 8 blast damage roll.
- Artifice of Deviation - Cost 2, Upkeep
- Place a 5" AOE anywhere completely within the caster's control range. While in the AOE, friendly Faction models have cover. Enemy models treat the AOE as rough terrain.
- Battle Lust - Cost 3, 6" range
- Friendly Faction warrior model/unit gains an extra die on melee damage for one turn.
- Energizer - Cost 2
- Each model in the caster's battlegroup that is currently in its CTRL range can immediately advance up to 2". Energizer can be cast only once per activation.
- Fire for Effect - Cost 3, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction model gains boosted attack & damage rolls on its first ranged attack each activation.
- Solid Ground - Cost 2, Upkeep
- While within the caster's CTRL range, friendly Faction models gain immunity to being knocked down and blast damage.
Thoughts on Supreme Kommandant Irusk
Supreme Kommandant Irusk in a nutshell
Irusk2 is considered the best infantry support caster in Khador currently as his spells and feat provide a toolbox from which he is able to deliver his models to the enemy while minimizing the opponent's ways of retaliating. He benefits hard hitting melee and ranged infantry by granting them cover; immunity to blast damage and knockdown; tough; tactician; and his feat provides Pathfinder and LOS through clouds and forest.
Maximising his feat and spells
The feat is a toolbox of abilities so let us unpack it:
- Friendly faction models in control ignore forests and clouds for LOS: A great counter to certain lists that rely on forest (Circle) or clouds (most factions in some form or another) to block LOS to their important models.
- FF models gain Pathfinder: Makes forests completely useless to your opponent for a turn combined with the above part of the feat.
- Knocked down models stand up unless they were KD this turn: Less useful now that Irusk has Solid Ground as a spell, but good for things that managed to wander out of your control range somehow.
- Enemy models/units activating in Irusk's control range suffer -3 SPD: Generally used to blunt an opponent's initial charge along with rough terrain from Artifice of Deviation.
All of these independent parts make the feat hard to time properly, knowing when to use it can be difficult. It is often hard to get to use every facet of the feat on the same turn, but making sure to get more out of it than just the SPD penalty is when it is used is very important.
- Airburst: Your multi-use removal tool. It clears out annoying stealth/incorporeal models that wander within 14" of Irusk with ease and ignores almost all defensive tech that may pose a problem. Keep in mind it is only a POW 8 blast and costs almost half of Irusk's focus to cast so you are looking to scalpel out squishy pieces with it that could give your army issues to remove on its own.
- Artifice of Deviation: Another Control range spell with 2 main uses. A 5" AOE granting cover when and where you need it to help protect and deliver key peices, or 5" of rough terain dropped in front of your enemies non pathfinder melee troops to stop their charge. It is an upkeep so you only get one each turn; choose wisely.
- Battle Lust: Turns a model/unit into weapon masters, or weapon masters into absolute terrors. Not an upkeep and costs almost half his focus but can be cast twice in a pinch.
- Energizer: The reason you bring jacks with Irusk other than his jack points. You want most of your points in warrior models, but a few jacks help fill out the list and Energizer extends all of their threat ranges at the same time.
- Fire for Effect: You want at least one scary gun to make use of this spell, it boosts the to hit and ALL damage rolls on the first ranged attack from the model so AOE guns are advised as it will boost all blast damage as well.
- Solid Ground: No knockdown and immunity to blast damage to all FF models within 14" of Irusk. This means that warrior models who succeed their tough rolls thanks to Total Obedience are good to make another tough roll. Blast Immunity lets you cluster models without fear of AOE's (though watch out for sprays still) and models such as the Kayazy Eliminators become extremely obnoxious to remove.
Typically Irusk will be upkeeping Solid ground every turn and casting multiple of his amazing, but expensive, spells every turn which will quickly deplete his focus. Prioritize between allocating to jacks; casting Battle Lust; Energizing your jacks; and camping focus to keep Irusk safe very carefully.
Typical Army & Strategy
Irusk2 wants to field a large mixed arms army composing primarily of warrior models to benefit from his abilities, but bringing a few jacks along with him to augment his play style and get the most out of his Energizer spell is advisable.
Typically a large portion of Irusk's army will be composed of warrior models that can benefit from his many spells and abilities to make them shine, with a few jacks to complement and augment where necessary while using up his warjack points. Ranged and melee playstyles both benefit Irusk in different ways and a mix of the two is generally advised to make use of all his abilities.
Tactician [Faction Warrior] is a game altering ability that allows for interesting tactical choices. Ranged units sitting behind melee models shooting through them with impunity; a 2" reach unit activating first could disengage a shield wall unit by making melee attacks through allied models then allow the shield wall unit to charge; Counter charge models charging through the first ranks; and more.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Large scale Infantry hate in the current meta makes it difficult to get single wound models where they need to be, though Irusk does this better than anyone.
- Irusk's unimpressive stat line and need to play within 10" of the army's bulk make him a weak link sometimes, so be wary of assassinations.
Tricks & Tips
- If you ever dreamed of pure Man O War army, Irusk 2 is your best choice. His feat negates most of their mobility issues, Battle Lust turns Shock Troopers into monsters and Demo Corps into nightmares and adding Tough to an ARM 21, Repairable units is almost unfair. Take some MoW Kovniks for Desperate Pace and your opponents will never know what hit them.
- Winter Guard Infantry is cheap and pillow fisted, take them with Jozef Grigorvich under Irusk2 and you have yourself tough, +4 STR or +2 to hit, weapon masters with immunity to knockdown and blast damage, if you stack Total Obedience, Joe's Battle Plans, Battle Lust and Solid Ground on them.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
Other Khador models
Rules Clarification : Feat: Superiority
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)