Sturgis the Corrupted
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Having pledged his immortal soul in service to the Dragonfather, Dalin Sturgis is as corrupt as he was once honorable. Death has done nothing to curb the depraved power of this once great Cygnaran warcaster, who now bends his formidable fighting prowess against those he used to call brother and friend.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Sturgis the Corrupted
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
In comparison to his Cygnar incarnation, Commander Dalin Sturgis, Sturgis the Corrupted has gained +1 ARM and -1 DEF.
- Handcannon - 12" range, POW 12 gun.
- Blade (Left) - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Soul Taker: Soul Thief - This model can gain soul tokens. When this model destroys a living enemy model with an attack with this weapon, this model gains the destroyed model's soul token. When this model replenishes its focus durning your next Control Phase, replace each soul token on it with 1 focus point.
- Blade (Right) - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Death Strike - If this attack destroys a living or undead model, after resolving the attack choose a model within 4" of this model. The chosen model suffers a damage roll with a POW equal to the STR of the model destroyed by the attack.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Chain Attack Dark Shroud - If this model hits the same target with both of its initial melee attacks, it gains Dark Shroud for one turn. (Dark Shroud - While in this model's melee range, enemy models suffer -2 ARM.)
- Relentless Charge - While advancing as part of a charge, this model gains Pathfinder.
- Reversal - When a model misses this model with a charge or power attack, the attacking model becomes knocked down.
- Snap Strike - This model can make one additional attack with each melee weapon for each focus/fury point spent to make additional attacks.
Feat - Dead on Arrival
Enemy non-warcaster, non-warlock models in Sturgis' control range are pushed 3" directly towards Sturgis in the order you choose. Then enemy models within 3" of Sturgis suffer a POW 12 magical damage roll. These damage rolls are simultaneous. For each model destroyed by Dead on Arrival, you can allocate 1 focus point to a warjack in Sturgis' battlegroup in his control range.
- Blood Rain - Cost 3, 8" range, 3" AOE, POW 12
- Convection - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 12
- When Convection destroys a living enemy model, you can give 1 focus point to a warjack in the spellcaster's balttlegroup that is in its control range.
- Occultation - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep.
- Target Friendly faction model/unit gains Stealth. Models are not affected while out of formation.
- Parasite - Cost 3, 8" range, Offensive Upkeep
- Target model/unit suffers -3 ARM and the spellcaster gains +1 ARM.
- Teleport - Cost 2, RNG Self
- Place the spellcaster anywhere completely within 6" of its current location, then its activation ends.
Thoughts on Sturgis the Corrupted
Comparison to Mk2
Although his rules are ostensibly the same in Mk3 outside of a loss of 2" of teleport range, Sturgis2 is a much different caster in Mk2. Power up makes it easier for Sturgis2 to run jack heavy builds. The loss of threat extension via Bane's curse and stealth's increased effectiveness vs infantry make his feat's pull and occultation much more valuable. Also by changing his spear's ability to "Soul Taker" Sturgis can arguably take the best advantage of soul trappers, giving him a way to make up for his low (for Cryx) focus.
Sturgis2 in a Nutshell
Sturgis the Corrupted is one of three warcasters who have crossed factions between incarnations (the others being Goreshade4 and Old Witch3), and has the additional weird distinction of being similar to his prime version yet significantly different. His spells in particular are an odd case of inversion; electricity swapped out for corrosion, an ARM buff swapped for an ARM debuff, and ranged support swapped for ranged denial.
Sturgis is a parasite caster so he is often compared to Iron Lich Asphyxious, Bane Witch Agathia and Lich Lord Asphyxious. Sturgis differs from his peers in that he offers a combination of infantry buffing via Occultation and infantry destruction via his feat and ability to wipe out large numbers of infantry single handed.
Sturgis is a bit of a guerrilla caster. He is able to charge into a group of enemies, dice them up and teleport to safety. Thanks to Relentless Charge, he can happily sit behind a wall during the opponent's turn. He wants to be in melee killing at least 3-5 infantry every turn, otherwise he just isn't impacting the game enough.
With power up in Mk3 Sturgis can often get use out of his hand cannon, arcing parasite and dropping a boosted hand cannon shot onto hard target before teleporting to safety.
Maximising his feat & spells
Sturgis's feat has multiple uses, including infantry removal, threat extension and scenario play. How you use it is situational.
Against enemy jamming infantry it is often useful get Sturgis stuck in, feat early, clear the jam with Sturgis himself (keep soul trappers nearby) which often leaves Sturgis with 10+ focus turn 3.
Against enemy gunlines or units with longer threat ranges than you, it is often better to get Sturgis to just advance forwards and use his feat to pull the enemy closer before teleporting back to safety. This effectively increases your own unit's threat range and grants you the alpha strike. For instance, Satyxis Blood Witches can normally only charge models 9.5" away, but add the feat and they get a threat range of 12.5". Similarily, Satyxis Raiders's effective threat range increases to 15" or they can simply run and engage enemies that started 18" (actually you can stretch that to 19" if Sturgis can get further upfield by charging and then he pulls even the furtherest enemy models closer to the Raiders).
In scenario play the ability to pull 3" can put units out of zones or contesting range, giving you an extra turn of scoring if you're smart. On the other hand, it can be easy to mess up and pull the enemy into scenario zones.
Sturgis's spell list is support oriented. Convection is a focus efficient way to get rid of pesky solos. Occultation makes it possible for Sturgis to deliver squishier units like Bane Warriors or Bile Thralls. Parasite makes it easier for Sturgis's army to eliminate high arm models. Sturgis has a relatively low focus for a Cryx caster so he often needs to boost on his spells. For this reason he benefits from a Satyxis captain, Warwitch Siren or Pistol Wraith who can provide a degree of MAT/RAT fixing for Sturgis and his army. Teleport gives Sturgis the ability to hit and run, but often one or two arc nodes will give Sturgis the ability to spread occultation, parasite and convection more easily.
Typical Army & Strategy
Sturgis2's normal win condition revolves around completely disrupting the enemy on his feat turn. Either to pull them in so you get the alpha strike and can attrition your way to victory, or to open up a charge lane to the enemy warcaster for an assassination.
Sturgis provides an arm debuff via parasite, stealth via occultation and threat extension via his feat so Sturgis has a lot of flexibility in his army builds.
That said Sturgis does not provide a def debuff nor does he have any way of giving his units ghostly or pathfinder.
The following are common models for a Sturgis force:
- Barathrum is a good standard choice. Feedback, Countercharge, Drag Below and Dig In all fit Sturgis' hit and run playstyle
- Deathjack can cast Blood Rain more efficiently than Sturgis can and can fire two convections in a pinch, although DJ's lack of control range means that he can't reallocate focus.
- Defilers and Nightwretches provide good arc nodes for Sturgis. Sprays and AOEs can maximize the clumping that happens during Sturgis' feat turn.
- Inflictors can protect Sturgis
- Helldivers are surprisingly useful with Sturgis. Dig in protects them from shooting and the extra focus from feat turns allows them to hit above their weight. Drag Below is useful for the same reasons as Barathrum.
- Desecrators can be useful with Sturgis, as you can place Scathers in front of the enemy lines then push the enemy into them on his feat turn.
- Madelyn Corbeau can keep Sturgis safe with parlay and seduction is often quite useful for charge lanes
- The Withershadow Combine has a better magical attack stat than Sturgis so if you want to take advantage of convection or blood rain and upkeep occultation or parasite for free. Puppet master rerolls are especially important with Sturgis because he needs to hit with both of his initials to trigger dark shroud and at FOC 6 he will miss the occasional parasite.
- Satyxis Raiders form the core of a def skew list with Sturgis. He gives them 15" threat and p+s 14 with parasite.
- Satyxis Blood Witches are useful for stealth skew. Sturgis makes them outthreat most guns (12.5" threat) and Blood Hags help Sturgis with upkeeps, especially banishing ward and arcane shield.
- Bane Riders, Bane Knights and Bane Warriors are also great with Sturgis in different ways. All banes work well with occultation, but Riders give you durability, Knights give you threat range and angles while Warriors give you support via Dark Shroud and higher damage potential.
- Bile Thralls can use Purge to clear infantry after the feat jams them together.
- Warwitch Sirens give Sturgis more focus for his jacks and provide a form of MAT fixing via Shadow bind. Venom sprays also help during Sturgis' feat and seduction can walk gullible targets into Sturgis' charge range for further threat extension.
- Satyxis Captains provide highly accurate MAT and RAT fixing via autoknockdown and reposition allows them to open a lane for Sturgis. Sturgis' huge volume of attacks (2 pow 16 and 6 pow 18 attacks via dark shroud) will slaughter most things.
- Pistol Wraiths are useful for the same reason. Deathchillled targets are easy picking for Sturgis and his jacks.
- Saxon Orrik's reconnaissance ability is especially important with Sturgis because Sturgis does not have Ghost Walk.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
Sturgis is relatively squishy for a Cryx caster, especially in killbox scenarios. It's important to have ways to hide him, this means that Madelyn Corbeau, Inflictors and Ogrun Bokurs are important in Sturgis's lists.
Sturgis does not provide any sort of def debuff or ability to cope with terrain to his army. This means that Saxon Orrik or units with native ghostly (eg. Banes) are important in Sturgis lists.
Sturgis' low FOC means that he's inaccurate, especially when you're targeting units in melee. It's often better to charge a target already in melee, apply parasite in melee and then teleport to safety.
Likewise Sturgis' Dark Shroud only triggers after both of his initials hit the same target. Knockdown, shadowbind or puppetmaster rerolls mitigates the potential of a bad roll preventing you from killing a heavy.
Tips & Tricks
- Sturgis threshes infantry with his good MAT and the sheer number of attacks he can put out every turn.
- Death Strike can sometimes allows him to kill support solos even if he can't reach them.
- Soul Eater can fuel his abilities.
- Use a Desecrator to put down Scather templates, before pushing the enemy in with the feat.
- Teleport behind a group of Bane Knights. Hopefully, during your next turn the Knights can Vengeance out of the way and clear a charge lane for Sturgis.
- Originally released as part of the 2013 Kickstarter project for Warmachine: Tactics. Backers got a limited-edition sculpt.
- The non-limited edition version of the sculpt is available through PP's online store, under the "PP Exclusives" section.
- Sturgis' non-epic form is Cygnar warcaster Commander Dalin Sturgis
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Black Industries (Article) (Category)
- Dark Host (Article) (Category)
- The Ghost Fleet (Article) (Category)
- Infernal Machines (Article) (Category)
- Scourge of the Broken Coast (Article) (Category)
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders (Article) (Category)
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)