Towering above its enemies, the lightning-wreathed Storm Strider moves across the battlefield raining voltaic death upon all who stand against Cygnar. Its lightning cannon is one of the most potent weapons in the Cygnaran arsenal and represents the pinnacle of stormsmith achievement. More devastating still is the Storm Strider's ability to capture and store the energy of enemy attacks, adding this deadly kinetic force to its withering lightning blasts.
This model's rules are currently under development
This is a existing model, and the information here is the rules it had before the CID cycle. If you wish to document the CID changes before they're finalised, please do so under the Recent Changes heading.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Lightning Cannon - 14" range, POW 15, ROF 2 gun
- Damage Type: Electricity - This weapon does electricity damage.
- Critical Disruption - On a critical hit, a warjack hit will lose all focus points. It also can't gain focus or channel spells for one round.
- Lightning Generator - If this weapon/attack hits a model, lightning arcs to d3 more nearby models and does POW 10 Electricity Damage.
- Stomp - 1" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon. Not the main thing it does.
- Lightning Generator - As above
- Battle Engine - All Battle Engines share the same special rules. Most notably being huge, having two fields of fire, and being immune to knock down, stationary, etc.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Immunity: Electricity - This model is not damaged by electric weapons, and is ignored when determining lightning arcs.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Dual Attack - This model can make both melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Repulsor Field - Models that hit this model with melee attacks are pushed away.
- Superconduction - When a friendly Faction model makes an attack with a ranged weapon with Damage Type: Electricity targeting an enemy model in the Storm Strider's CMD range, the attacking model gains +2 to its attack roll.
- Kinetic Accumulator - When the Storm Strider is hit by a melee or ranged attack made by an enemy model, it gains one power token. The Storm Strider can have up to three power tokens at any time. During its activation, the Storm Strider can spend power tokens to boost one attack or damage roll for each token spent.
Thoughts on Storm Strider
Storm Strider in a nutshell
The Storm Strider is Cygnar's lightning themed, self-enhancing battle engine both capable of putting out a lot of lightning arcs and of hurting heavies at range. At close range it's murderously accurate and makes all your other lightning bolts accurate. And in melee, enemy heavies (who normally see a battle engine as lunch) bounce off it. It's quite suprisingly tough; heavies get one attack in before the Repulsor Field (Reach gives them a second), and although charging Weapon Master infantry should be able to take it apart, it's a lightning themed model - it fries them before they charge it.
Combos & Synergies
- The other Storm buffers - Firefly, Silver Line Stormguard, Nemo3
- Anything that does lightning damage
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Like all Battle Engines, a Storm Strider costs about as much as an expensive heavy warjack but only has the damage boxes of a light warjack
- A skilled opponent will almost never charge the acumulator - they will leave the Storm Strider alone until they are ready to trash it.
- A skilled opponent will position a model so the repel ability doesn't save the Storm Strider (although it's surprisingly good)
Tricks & Tips
- Charge and then shoot for extra range
- Look for low defense targets that can be used to leap off of. An especially useful one is objectives, which generally have squishy support units skulking nearby. The Storm Strider has the range to lure your opponent into thinking they are safe.
- Don't forget about his melee attack. Because he has dual attack, he can easily get 3 lightning generators and not lose any effectiveness.
- You can also have him kick an engaged warjack in the back, causing lightning to hit the models engaging them and allowing the warjack to walk free. The POW is low enough that the jack won't suffer crippling damage.
Notable changes from Mk2
- They gained a melee attack
- Electroconduction range increased dramatically
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Wrath expansion book (2011)
Other Cygnar models