Towering above its enemies, the lightning-wreathed Storm Strider moves across the battlefield raining voltaic death upon all who stand against Cygnar. Its lightning cannon is one of the most potent weapons in the Cygnaran arsenal and represents the pinnacle of stormsmith achievement. More devastating still is the Storm Strider's ability to capture and store the energy of enemy attacks, adding this deadly kinetic force to its withering lightning blasts.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Lightning Cannon - 14" range, POW 15, ROF 2 gun
- Damage Type: Electricity - This weapon does electricity damage.
- Critical Disruption - On a critical hit, a warjack hit will lose all focus points. It also can't gain focus or channel spells for one round.
- Lightning Generator - If this weapon/attack hits a model, lightning arcs to d3 more nearby models and does POW 10 Electricity Damage.
- Stomp - 1" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon. Not the main thing it does.
- Lightning Generator - As above
- Battle Engine - All Battle Engines share the same special rules. Most notably being huge, having two fields of fire, and being immune to knock down, stationary, etc.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Immunity: Electricity - This model is not damaged by electric weapons, and is ignored when determining lightning arcs.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Conductor - If a Stormsmith Stormcaller makes a (★ Attack), this model counts as a friendly Stormcaller too.
- Dual Attack - This model can make both melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Repulsor Field - When this model is hit with a melee attack, after the attack is resolved the attacker is pushed 1" directly away.
- Superconduction - When a friendly Faction model makes an attack with a ranged weapon with Damage Type: Electricity targeting an enemy model in the Storm Strider's CMD range, the attacking model gains +2 to its attack roll.
- Build Up Power - If the Storm Strider advances during its Normal Movement, it gains d3 power tokens. The Storm Strider can have up to three power tokens at any time. During its activation, the Storm Strider can spend power tokens to boost one attack or damage roll for each token spent.
2017.06 Battle Engine CID
- Gained 6 hp. Lost Kinetic Accumulator, but replaced it with the more reliable Build Up Power. Gained Conductor.
Thoughts on Storm Strider
Storm Strider in a nutshell
The Storm Strider is Cygnar's lightning themed, self-enhancing, support battle engine both capable of putting out a lot of lightning arcs and hurting heavies at range. Once the enemy gets into its respectable CMD zone, its shots are murderously accurate, and makes your other lightning attacks all the more threatening. Once in melee, it must rely on its Repulsor Field to survive - which can be surprisingly effective (if the enemy fails to position his units so, that they cannot be pushed out of melee). Heavies with RNG 1" melee weapons get one attack before the Repulsor Field pushes them out of melee (2" gives them a second), and although charging Weapon Master infantry should be able to take it apart, it's a lightning themed model - it's supposed to fry them before they can charge in.
Combos & Synergies
- The other Storm buffers - Firefly, Silver Line Stormguard, Nemo3.
- Laddermore's Veteran Leader ability (currently in CID) adds another layer of accuracy buff for the Storm Knight models in her CMD, making the ranged electro attacks incredibly accurate.
- Anything that does lightning damage.
- The Strider is a very favoured part of the Storm Division theme list. As all of your models are electro-immune, all of them are valid targets for Lightning Arcs.
- Since it can be shot without repercussions, and enemies don't want to be anywhere near its CMD zone, it appreciates every bit of extra ARM on it to minimalize shooting damage. Casters with Deceleration and/or Arcane Shield are your best friends.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Even after the 2017 Battle Engine update, the Storm Strider is still one of the squishier BEs. Its HPs are in between a light and a heavy warjack now, but its low DEF and the huge base makes it an easy target for shooting, especially since Kinetic Accumulator is gone.
- On the flip side, it requires no focus to operate, and can fill itself up with tokens for boosting.
- A skilled opponent will position a model so the repel ability doesn't save the Storm Strider (although it's surprisingly good)
- If you cannot advance, or want to forfeit your normal movement for aiming, you won't get Power Tokens
- As every Battle Engine, it is not part of your battlegroup, so those spells won't affect them.
Tricks & Tips
- Charge and then shoot for extra range (no shooting for failed charges, though).
- Look for low defense targets that can be used to leap off of. An especially useful one is objectives, which generally have squishy support units skulking nearby.
- Don't forget about his melee attack. Because he has dual attack, he can easily get 3 lightning generators and not lose any effectiveness.
- You can also have him kick an engaged warjack in the back, causing lightning to hit the models engaging them and allowing the warjack to walk free. The POW is low enough that the jack won't suffer crippling damage.
- Watch out for Sturdy models - the Repulsor Field won't save you from their attack.
- There's an odd rule interaction between Rhyas' feat and the Repulsor Field. Once the Strider is being damaged, the attacker is placed in B2B with the target, then it is pushed away 1". Be on the lookout, as you can easily give a free inch of threat range to a rampaging Scythean, or even for Rhyas...
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Wrath expansion book (2011)
Other Cygnar models