Steelheads are willing to fight anyone, anywhere, anytime—as long as the pay is right. Working in concert, Steelhead riflemen thin out enemy lines with concentrated fire before the halberdiers charge in to cut down foes with practiced precision. Numerous, well-trained, and well-equipped, the soldiers of the Steelhead Mercenary Company are the best money can buy.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Halberd - 2" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon.
- Powerful Charge - This models gains +2 to hit on charge attacks with this weapon.
- Mercenary - will work as a Cryx mercenary, Cygnar mercenary, Khador mercenary, and as a Protectorate of Menoth mercenary
- Set Defense - Charge attacks, slam attacks, and impact attacks versus this model suffer a -2 to hit penalty.
- Combined Melee Attack - This unit can combine their melee attacks to get a bonus on accuracy and damage.
Thoughts on Steelhead Halberdiers
Steelhead Halberdiers in a nutshell
Steelhead Halberdiers embody the strengths of the Mercenary faction. They among the cheapest infantry around, yet surprisingly effective. For 11 points you get an 11" charge threat, 2" melee range, Combined Melee Attack, Set Defense and Powerful Charge on a solid 13/13 frame, meaning they are capable of contributing against almost anything with no help, can take a charge, and aren't going to die to every blast that lands on them. Again, you get 10 bodies with all of that for 11 points. They are one of the finest units in the game point for point.
Combos & Synergies
Steelhead Halberdiers are part of the Steelhead boat - they can either be used as cannon fodder to stop bullets and blunt charges or with their fellow steelheads.
- Captain Damiano - the Captain of the Steelheads is a paymaster of them.
- Steelhead Heavy Cavalry add a hard hitting charge to come in behind the Steelheads and get to flank with them.
- Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye hands out Wall of Steel and Tough
- Stannis Brocker lets everyone move through everyone else. Normally enabling heavy cav to charge straight over the top of halberdiers on the countercharge.
- The Kingmaker's Army theme force allows them and lets them get Stannis or the like for free - it's a good way of running a steelhead boat.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Considering how good they are, any gripes you may have about their deficiences are answered by their 7/11 point cost.
Tricks and Tips
- They are wonderful as a front line unit to soak up casualties while you deliver the business end of your army.
- They operate well on flanks needing no buffs to put damage on high ARM targets or hit high DEF ones.
- Use Damiano's reposition ability to charge them out of zones and move back in.
Released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
|Cygnar (Edit)||Khador (Edit)|
|Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)|
Other Mercenary models