Mercenary Steelhead Character Solo
Stannis Brocker cares for little beyond coin and battle. He cares nothing for the reasons behind any specific conflict and makes no apology for decades spent earning coin by dealing death and misfortune. Commanding ranks of Steelhead mercenaries, Brocker rides to battle as if from an ancient era, when such men conquered and created nations with the edge of their blades.
- Handcannon - 12" range, POW 12 gun
- Thrasher - 2" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Brutal Charge - This model gains +2 damage on charge attacks with this weapon.
- Mount - 0.5" reach, POW 10 mount
- Mercenary - will work as a Cryx mercenary, Cygnar mercenary, Khador mercenary, and Protectorate of Menoth mercenary.
- Cavalry - All Cavalry come with a stack of standard special rules, most notably Impact Attacks and auto-boosted charge attacks.
- Cleave - If you destroy something in melee in your combat action, you get one extra free melee attack.
- Defensive Strike - Once per turn, when an enemy enters and ends their movement in this model's melee range, it may make one basic melee attack against it.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Tactician [Steelhead] - While in this model's CMD range, friendly Steelhead models can ignore other friendly Steelhead models when determining LOS. Friendly Steelhead models can advance through other friendly Steelhead models in this model's CMD range if they have enough movement to move completely past them.
Thoughts on Stannis Brocker
Stannis Brocker in a nutshell
Stannis Brocker is a Steelhead support solo. He provides Tactician, allowing Steelheads to move and shoot through each other. Consensus is that he's a bit overpriced for what he does.
Combos & Synergies
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Useless without a lot of Steelheads
Tricks & Tips
- Your Steelhead Cavalry can hide behind Halberdiers, then charge straight through them and possibly get some nice impact attacks while they're at it. Just remember you can't stop to make impact attacks while you're overlapping a Halberdier.
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification : Brutal Charge (Edit)
- If your charge movement was less than 3", your first attack is not considered a 'charge attack' and thus you won't get the Brutal Charge bonus.
Rules Clarification: : Cavalry (Edit)
Warning: This is a long one.
| Mount Weapon
- Mount Weapons are melee weapons. (Infernal Ruling) This means:
- Mount Attacks can benefit from any buffs that affect "melee weapons" (such as Acidic Touch and Elasticity) or "melee attacks" (such as Battle Lust).
- Mount Weapons can be used to make free strikes.
- If the model doesn't have any regular melee weapon (such as the Gun Carriage) then it does have a melee range, can engage enemy models, and can make free strikes; anyway.
- Despite being a melee weapon, you cannot use a Mount's special attack on the same activation you charge. (Infernal Ruling)
- Exception: If you have Trampling Hooves, because that allows you to make charge attacks with your mount when you charge.
- Mount attacks will trigger "Melee attack" stuff like Battle Wizard.
- You can purchase additional attacks with your Mount Weapon. (Infernal Ruling)
Impact Attacks - Movement
- You cannot "stop" in an illegal position to carry out Impact Attacks. For instance, halfway over a linear obstacle, or a flying cavalry stopping while it 'overlaps' other models, or stopping halfway through an Incorporeal model.
- The reason is, you need to obey the rule "this model can advance through [stuff] if they have enough movement to move completely past it".
- Stopping during your movement doesn't satisfy that rule, whether that's the "stop" at the end of the model's normal movement or the "stop" for impact attacks.
- If your charge target is included in your Impact Attacks, then you need to turn and face it and end your movement before starting the attacks (refer rulebook, last paragraph of 'Impact Attacks').
- As such, things which trigger at "End of Movement" (such as Admonition) will occur before your Impact Attacks.
- On the other hand, if your Impact Attacks don't include your charge target, then you're interupting your movement to resolve them, and thus stuff like Admonition won't trigger.
Impact Attacks - The attack(s)
- You resolve stuff that occurs "after the attack is resolved" (such as Battle Wizard) before continuing with your charge movement.
- If you have an ability that boosts your "first" melee attack (such as Stir the Blood), then only one attack will be boosted even though you're making multiple simultaneous attacks.
- If you choose to make any impact attacks, you make all attacks against all models in the Mount's melee range (even friendly models).(Infernal Ruling)
Impact Attacks - Other
- You cannot use "any time" abilities while resolving Impact Attacks. Because Impact Attacks occur during movement; and you can only use 'any time' abilities before moving or after moving, but not during movement. (Infernal Ruling)
- Exception: If your Impact targets include your charge target, then your movement has ended (refer rulebook, last paragraph of 'Impact Attacks') and thus you're fine to use "any time" abilities.
- If you have a unit of Cavalry, charge them and do impact attacks, remember you interrupt movement to do impacts, but you have to resolve all movements before doing any charge attacks. So for example it would go:
- Cavalry model A charges enemy X, and contacts model M. Stop and make impact attacks against M. Then continue movement to X.
- Cavalry model B charges enemy Y, and contacts model N. Stop and make impact attacks against N. Then continue movement to Y.
- Cavalry model C charges enemy Z, and contacts model O. Stop and make impact attacks against O. Then continue movement to Z.
- Resolve model A's charge attack vs X, B's vs Y, and C's vs Z. (This can be done in any order, as per normal)
- Countercharge & Cavalry ( Edit )
- A model with Countercharge and Cavalry can make Impact Attacks during the countercharge. (Refer "Charges Outside of Activation" in the rulebook).
- Warcaster/Warlock Cavalry ( Edit )
- Warcasters/Warlocks can't cast spells or use their feat while resolving Impact Attacks. Because Impact Attacks occur during movement - you can use spells or feat before moving, or after moving, but not during movement.
- Exception: If your Impact target(s) include your charge target, then your movement has ended (refer rulebook, last paragraph of 'Impact Attacks') and thus you're fine to use "any time" abilities before starting the Impact attacks.
- Flight on a Cavalry model (Edit)
- Although you can move over obstacles/models while charging, if you want to stop and make Impact Attacks while you fly "over" models you need to stop in a legal position. You can't make Impact Attacks while your flying horse is on top of obstacles, models, etc.
- Gunfighter & Cavalry ( Edit )
- A cavalry model that charges then makes a Gunfighter attack will not gain a boosted charge attack roll, because a ranged attack is not a charge attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- You also won't gain a boosted charge damage roll, as per normal for a Gunfighter.
Rules Clarification : Cleave (Edit)
- Cleave doesn't trigger off free strikes or Impact Attacks, since those occur outside of your Combat Action.
- Despite "additional attacks" normally occurring only after all initial attacks are resolved, Cleave "interrupts" your initial attacks because it must be resolved immediately.
- You cannot trigger an "Any Time" ability between the first attack and the Cleave attack, because Cleave occurs at Step 14 of Apdx A, and "Any Time" abilities cannot be triggered until after Step 14 is finished.
Rules Clarification : Defensive Strike (Edit)
- If an enemy doesn't stop in your melee range, but continue all the way through it and out the other side, you won't get to make a Defensive Strike.
You will get to make a free strike as per normal, though.
Rules Clarification : Reposition (Edit)
- Models out of formation cannot move via Reposition. Refer to the "Out of Formation" rules in the core rulebook.
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at the end of activation" (such as Sprint) after resolving Reposition, because your activation has ended. (Infernal Ruling) See also this article for a detailed explanation.
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at any time" (such as Go To Ground) during a Reposition. Because you can't trigger it while moving, and after moving your activation has ended. (Infernal Ruling)
- This holds true even if it's a unit with multiple Reposition moves. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Tactician (Edit)
- The moving model doesn't have to be in CMD range, just the model they're moving through.
- The "can ignore for LOS" is not optional. You cannot opt to "turn off" your ability to see through models, in the hope of getting a free strike or some such. (Infernal Ruling)