|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
You may be looking for one of these:
The Stalker is a nightmarish fusion of darkness and steel designed for a single purpose: to butcher those who oppose the will of the Dragonfather. With a shadowy hull that seemingly writhes and ripples in the light, this insidious creation is nearly indiscernible from a distance.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Eviscerator (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapons.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
- Bounding Leap - Once per activation, after making a full advance as its Normal Movement but before performing its Combat Action, this model can spend 1 focus point to be placed completely within 5" of its current location.
- Extended Control Range - When checkin to see if this model is inits controller's control range, double the range.
Thoughts on Stalker
Stalker in a nutshell
The Stalker is an assassin. It is perfectly suited to work on the flanks, with Extended Control Range and Stealth keeping it safe. Even if it gets engaged, it's high DEF will keep it safe from most unboosted attacks. It's fast, has Pathfinder to get to its target, and has good enough MAT and P+S to wreck most non-warjack models. And let's be honest, that thing is just downright creepy looking.
It's generally either an early-game piece used to scalpel out a key solo that has positioned itself badly (sometimes it is worth throwing away an 8 point warjack to kill a 4-5 point solo), or a mid-game piece that runs up the flanks for the first couple of turns. It doesn't normally survive to the late-game.
Combos & Synergies
- Any caster that can give it extra movement, to close the last little gap to the enemy caster. For example, Mortenebra1 (Overrun), Scaverous (Telekinesis), or The Coven (Infernal Machine). In a pinch, Sturgis2's feat also counts.
- It is useful to Mortenebra2's feat. It can jump into an enemy's back arc to trigger Flank, without blocking your heavies' charge lanes.
- Usual caveat of the Cryx de-buff engine: stack abilities (Bane Warriors Dark Shroud), feats and spells (pDenny), or STR buffs (Skarre1) to let it punch way above its weight class.
- They're a popular choice for Aiakos1 who can speed them up (Escort) and, because Aiakos has a low Focus stat, he appreciates their extended control range. Also, you get an all-stealth, all-jump, secondary battlegroup, which is pretty cool.
- I particularly like Aiakos1 and Scaverous, because between them they can push the Stalker's threat range up to an absurd 19".
- Since they often work on the flank, they can be good in the Theme Forces with ambushing units (Infernal Machines or Scourge of the Broken Coast). If the enemy moves towards the flank to deal with the Stalker, your ambushing unit can jump in to help out.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Has all the durability of a wet paper bag.
- It relies on the high DEF and stealth to survive, so anything that auto-hits will give it a bad day.
- Unbuffed it struggles against high ARM targets.
- The model is difficult to assemble. First off the arms/legs can be difficult to align without them hitting each other, and second you've got 4 tiny contact points with the base. Most players put a piece of decorative scenery on the base and stab the legs through it, and/or put the legs adjacent to the scenery and put glue on the side of the leg.
Tricks & Tips
- Jump is a place effect, not an advance. Use it to circumvent enemy abilities which trigger on "advance" (such as Admonition, Counter Charge, Enliven).
- Sometimes, if assassination is hard to come to pass, it worth to sacrifice the Stalker to finish off an enemy objective.
- You threaten 2" further with a Jump than you do with a Charge, for the same focus cost. Very useful when your target cannot be charged (like Polarity Shielded units). On the other hand, if you Jump you don't get boosted damage on your first attack. Choose wisely.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Escalation (2004)
- Sculptor: John Winter
Cryx non-character warjack themes (Edit)
- Black Industries (Article) (Category)
- Dark Host (Article) (Category)
- The Ghost Fleet (Article) (Category)
- Infernal Machines (Article) (Category)
- Scourge of the Broken Coast (Article) (Category)
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders (Article) (Category)
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders