Spears of Scyrah
The trio known as the Spears of Scyrah count among the most fanatical mage hunters in the Retribution. Worshiping Scyrah in her guise as Avenger of the Vanished, they aspire to appease the goddess by striking down those who have caused harm to the lost Iosan gods. The Spears have had many members over the centuries, starting from the first years of the Retribution’s existence, and all have accepted their mortality to serve without fear of death.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Spears of Scyrah
- 3 Other
|Spears of Scyrah|
|3 points each|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Spear - 2" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Duelist - This model gains +2 DEF against melee attack rolls.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Shield Guard - When a friendly model within 3" is hit by a non-spray ranged attack, this model can be hit instead.
- Vengeance - During your Maintenance Phase, if one or more models in a unit with Vengeance were damaged by enemy attacks during the last round, each model in the unit can advance 3" and make one basic melee attack.
- As Mage Hunters, they can take Eiryss3 as a Command Attachment. However there's not much synergy there, so we have omitted repeating her weapons/abilities (so this page doesn't get too cluttered).
- As always, they can take a Soulless Escort as a Weapon Attachment. Info omitted just 'cause.
Thoughts on Spears of Scyrah
Spears of Scyrah in a nutshell
They're an elite combat melee unit, fast, agile, and hit hard thanks to Weapon Master. They rely on their insanely high DEF to avoid hits (because anything that hits them tends to make them splatter). What makes these guys special is the presence of Shield Guard and Vengeance.
Now, I'm not a Retribution player, but I can not figure out what you're supposed to with Shield Guard and Vengeance on such a squishy unit. So, you've got really high DEF to avoid most hits, which is awesome ... but then you can choose to "auto-hit" them via Shield Guard? Most Shield Guards are either durable models that can take a hit and keep on smiling, or they're cheap and disposable, but these guys are neither.
Then with Vengeance, to maximize on it you want to take some damage to trigger it each turn ... but they're such low ARM that even a puny POW 10 gun is likely to one-shot kill them?
I really don't know. The only thing I can guess is that Vengeance can be reliably triggered versus blast damage (which, after all, is the only thing likely to hit their high DEF), and Shield Guard can be used as a last-ditch "Save the warcaster" moment.
The Spears of Scyrah are elite melee Mage Hunters/suicide squad. Where they differ from other mage hunter units is that they are not simply hit and run harassers/assassins. Their long melee reach and their bonus defense in melee makes them want to stick it out more than other Mage Hunters. They also have Shield Guard, which on first glance seems pointless on a unit that can barely withstand a stiff breeze. But they are the only shield guard unit with stealth, which makes them ideal meat shields for your stealthy mage hunter assassins, Narn, or Eiryss. Yes, you'll almost certainly lose a model every time you trigger shield guard which is unfortunate, but you'll have protected a strong solo and also triggered vengeance.
Thoughts on adding Eiryss3 (CA)
Not much point adding her:
- These guys are pure melee, so they'll be wanting to run or charge each turn, while Eiryss3 is better at ranged attacks.
- Eiryss3 gives Reposition [3"], but these guys already have it.
- Eiryss3 gives Advance Deployment, which is the only redeeming reason to take her.
Thoughts on adding Soulless Escort (WA)
Totally worth it. Worst case scenario, he gets killed without achieving anything worthwhile... but that will still trigger an extra Vengeance move.
Combos & Synergies
- As the Spears are not named characters, but rather Leader and Grunts, Goreshade 4 can revive them, even though they cannot attack the turn they are bought back, they can Shield Guard again
- Goreshade4 can also give the ghostly, making them immune to free strikes and therefore allowing them to do lots of melee range movement mischief safe from extra attacks.
- Elara2's Feat can provide them with ghostly as well as boosting their already impressive charge range.
- Issyria can bump up their armor, making shield guarding slightly less deadly.. at least being able to survive an average pow 10 shot.
- Vyros1 and 2 can likewise slightly boost their armor.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- If you're looking just at their offensive potential versus their cost, there are more efficient units and solos.
- You pay extra for having 5 wounds, but have such a low armor value that each model effectively only has 1 wound.
- Vengeance is okay, but nearly impossible to trigger without losing a model, making it less effective than with a larger unit with more disposable grunts like Dawnguard Sentinels.
Tricks & Tips
- Originally released 2017.04
Other Retribution models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|