|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
While Retribution handlers endeavor to train soulless as soldiers, some are destined to serve another function. Energy flows sent to destroy Retribution soldiers are siphoned into the body of the soulless. If they siphon too much it prompts complete organ failure. Heart and lungs burst from hostile energy pouring into the soulless, while leaving those allies around him untouched.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Sword - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon.
- Attachment: [Small- or medium-based Retribution unit] - This model can be attached to a Small- or medium-based Retribution unit unit.
- Soulless - This model doesn't have a soul.
- Attachment Deployment - If the unit this model is attached to has Advance Deployment or Ambush, this model gains that ability.
- Disbinding (★ Action) - Enemy upkeep spells and animi on this unit expire.
- Mage Static - While this model is in formation, enemy magic attacks targeting a model in its unit suffer -5 RNG.
Thoughts on Soulless Escort
Soulless Escort in a nutshell
The Soulless Escort makes units harder to hit by spells. Once in a blue moon he can also use his Disbinding action to clear off pesky upkeep spells - and that's basically it. These guys are ideal choices to spend your last remaining point, but beware: they have some serious Skornergy in their stats and abilities. Though Attached Deployment would suggest you to field with stealthy units, like Mage Hunters, the lack of Stealth can invite pinpoint AoEs, and more important, electro leaps on these low ARM units, if he stands too close. Currently, there's no unit either in the Retribution, who could get Ambush, either by default or in a theme force. If it will change, the usefulness of the Soulless Escorts might go up a bit.
Combos & Synergies
- As squishy units are mostly out of consideration, you probably want to include him in tougher units, mainly Dawnguards to be defended from magical attacks. They can live long enough, so you can remove enemy upkeeps with Disbinding. However, as it is an action, you can only use it in turns where your unit didn't run, or charged. If Disbinding would be an "any time during your activation" ability, it would have much more utility.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Not much combat potential to talk about.
- Poor DEF in low ARM units, poor ARM in low-DEF units.
- Armies with not much magic basically makes these guys a waste of points. Know thy enemy!
- Marginally useful versus arced spells and completely useless against magical sprays.
Tricks & Tips
- At the very least they are another body so there's blocking potential (though Voidtracers can also do that and are solos).
- Occasionally you can send them into position to trigger Vengeance or Righteous Vengeance. They might be your cheapest models for that role.
- You could attach these guys to a heavy rifle team. Very rare in Warmahordes to have WA for artillery - though it will be really high on the "top corner-case ever" list.
Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah (Novermber 2009)
Since the Escort can be attached to any unit, he can fit in any theme.
- Defenders of Ios (Article) (Category)
- Forges of War (Article) (Category)
- Legions of Dawn (Article) (Category)
- Shadows of the Retribution (Article) (Category)
Other Retribution models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Eilish Garrity - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|
Rules Clarification : Soulless Escort
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Soulless - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Attachment Deployment - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Disbinding - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Mage Static - None yet. (Edit)