Theme - Sons of the Tempest
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A Sons of the Tempest army can only include models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.03
|Cygnar warcasters||Too many to bother listing|
| Cygnar non-character warjacks with a ranged weapon
|| Too many to bother listing. Essentially it's all of them except
|Arcane Tempest models/units|
Theme Force Bonuses
- For every full 20 points of Arcane Tempest models/units in this army, you can add one Arcane Tempest command attachment or Arcane Tempest solo to the army free of cost.
- These free models don't count towards that total when calculating when the benefit is applied.
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mage units in this army gain Combined Ranged Attack.
- Friendly models/units can begin the game affected by the upkeep spells of models in this army.
- These spells and their targets must be declared before either player deploys any models.
- Models in this army do not have to pay to upkeep their spells during your first turn of the game.
- Applies to Battlegroup Controllers
- Battlegroup Controllers now benefit from free upkeeps.
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Theme - Sons of the Tempest in a nutshell
Do you want Gun Mages? Because this is how you get Gun Mages.
Combos & Synergies
- Warcasters with Snipe will have plenty of targets.
- Captain Allister Caine can make a Gun Mage unit quite nasty by applying Fire for Effect to a model to improve your chances of critical effects and therefore increase the damage output of combined ranged attacks.
- That's a bonus since all of your infantry will be relying on POW 10 weapons to achieve anything.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- No hard hitting infantry or any ways of dealing with armour outside of Stormclads or a colossal.
- Character Warjacks are restricted to armies with the Warcaster they share a bond with.
- For example, no Thorn for any old Warcaster who isn't a Haley...
- No Rangers to shore up your chances vs high DEF targets.
- Not even a Squire to help with the focus burden.
- CRA doesn't mesh well with the Gunmage unit's abilities, namely their Snipe shot type, Swift Hunter, or Gunfighter.
Tricks & Tips
- If you want some serious melee presence, remember that the Stormclad has a ranged weapon.
- Originally released 2017 February.
- In Mk2 that was the name of Caine1's theme list.
- With the theme bonus, Arcane Tempest Gun Mages get back some of their Mk2 Arcane Inferno CRA (though without the AoE).
- Sons of the Tempest
- CRA members do not make an attack so only the attack-leader can use attack types. This means that unit members can only contribute to the CRA if they're within their gun's base 10" range, you can't combine it with your Snipe Attack Type. Usually all of your contributing models are within 10", so it will rarely come up. However, you can start a CRA from your Officer, who has higher RAT, and usually stands in the second line, with the rest of the squad in front of him. This will give some extra range for him, while keeping him further from the enemy lines.
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: Sons of the Tempest
|Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Cryx||The Ghost Fleet - Infernal Machines - Dark Host||(Edit)|
|Cygnar||Storm Division - Heavy Metal - Sons of the Tempest - Gravediggers||(Edit)|
|Khador||Winter Guard Kommand - Legion of Steel - Jaws of the Wolf||(Edit)|
|Protectorate of Menoth||The Creator's Might - Guardians of the Temple - Exemplar Interdiction||(Edit)|
|Retribution of Scyrah||Forges of War - Defenders of Ios - Shadows of the Retribution||(Edit)|
|Mercenaries||Hammer Strike - The Kingmaker's Army - Operating Theater||(Edit)|
|Convergence of Cyriss||Destruction Initiative||(Edit)|
|Circle Orboros||The Bones of Orboros - The Devourer's Host - The Wild Hunt||(Edit)|
|Legion of Everblight||Ravens of War - Children of the Dragon - Oracles of Annihilation||(Edit)|
|Skorne||Winds of Death - Disciples of Agony (CID) - The Exalted (Unreleased)||(Edit)|
|Trollbloods||Band of Heroes - Power of Dhunia - Storm of the North||(Edit)|
|Minions||The Blindwater Congregation - The Thornfall Alliance||(Edit)|
|Grymkin||Dark Menagerie - Bump in the Night||(Edit)|