Theme - Sons of the Tempest
Mobile and versatile, the Arcane Tempest are called upon to deal with situations beyond the capacity of standard military forces, particularly arcane threats that are warded against conventional firepower. Coordinated by experienced gun mages to fight in conjunction with traditional battlegroups, these strike teams can operate in any theater of war. As their ranked guns tear apart the enemy with fusillades of deadly firepower, lone marksmen pick off high-priority targets with speed and accuracy.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A Sons of the Tempest army can only include models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.09
|Cygnar warcasters||Too many to bother listing|
| Cygnar non-character warjacks
||Too many to bother listing.|
|Arcane Tempest models/units|
|The following specific models|
|Up to one mercenary unit and one mercenary solo.||Too many to bother listing|
Theme Force Bonuses
- This army can include one Mercenary solo and one Mercenary unit that will work for Cygnar.
- These models/units can be included even if they have the Partisan [Cygnar] rule.
- Mercenary units can have attachments.
- For every full 15 points of Arcane Tempest models/units in this army, you can add one Arcane Tempest CA or Cygnar solo to the army free of cost.
- These free models don't count towards that total when calculating when the benefit is applied.
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mage & Black 13th Strike Force units in this army gain Pistoleer. (Pistoleer - Gunfighter attack damage rolls made by a model with Pistoleer are boosted.)
- Warcasters in this army can upkeep spells on friendly Arcane Tempest model/units without spending focus.
- This bonus doesn't apply to the Journeyman Warcaster, since he is explicitly not a warcaster.
- Battlegroup Controllers now benefit from "start game with upkeeps in play" (note: not relevant as of the 2017.09 errata)
2017.09 Errata. Sons got quite a significant change:
- Bonus points was dropped to 15 points (from 20)
- Gun Mages now gain Pistoleer (used to be CRA)
- The free solo can be any Cygnar solo (used to be limited to Arcane Tempest solos)
- Upkeep buff changed to free upkeeps for entire game (used to be "start game with upkeeps in play").
- The restriction of "non-character warjacks with a ranged weapon" was removed.
- Access to mercs added. Also a new Mechanik unit was released
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Theme - Sons of the Tempest in a nutshell
Do you want Gun Mages? Because this is how you get Gun Mages. This theme offers
- some nice resource management benefits with free upkeeps on your models
- the lowest threshold for free models
- plus it mitigates the greatest weakness of the Gun Mages, namely that they could do next to nothing with high-ARM targets
Beside your in-faction opportunities, you can take dedicated ARM-breaking units, like the Horgenhold Forge Guard to deal with those pesky jacks. This list's main selling point that it fares well against infantry-heavy themes.
Theme Weaknesses & Mitigating them
- Not too much surprise, but a bunch of gun-toting warrior-mages are particularly sensitive for anti-shooting techs. Feats from Zerkova1, cheap shield guards, sacrificial pawn, or spells like Swamp Pit and Countermeasure can severely decrease your attack capabilities
- No hard hitting infantry outside of the Merc options.
- As with every theme force, character Warjacks are restricted to armies with the Warcaster they share a bond with.
- For example, no Thorn for any old Warcaster who isn't a Haley...
- No Rangers to shore up your chances vs high DEF targets.
- Overall, your units are pretty squishy. Anything that bypasses high DEF will hurt you a lot.
- Upkeep dependence can leave you exposed to upkeep hate (Purgation, Purification, Dispel, etc).
List Building Tips
You want to ask the following questions before building your list:
- Do you have worthy upkeeps to help your units?
- If so, are they really the ones who will make the most out of it?
If the answer is yes to both, definitely go with this theme. Having 1 or 2 self-sustaining upkeeps around makes a semi-resourceful model out of your caster. For determining the optimal amount of mages, decide first, how many free solos you want in your army? How much Gun Mage you'll need to reach that threshold? Could you substitute them with other units, who don't contribute to the free solo limit, but would handle battlefield tasks better?
About the units
- Do not underestimate the power of Pistoleer shots, especially against Shield Walled / Wall of Steel units. If you can push away enemy unit members, use the Thunderbolt round. The push is being triggered on a hit, then you'll roll 3D6 for damage, and the target now won't receive the +4/+2 ARM. If you can't move them (whether due to immunity for pushes, or simply by placement ), go for the Critical Brutal shot's extra die.
- Tempest Blazers, GMCAs and the B13 are all quite devastating with Brutal Damage shots, dealing an average of 24 points of damage during a gunfight.
Casters of Note
Planning according to the list building tips, Cygnar's casters can be divided into 2 groups:
- The Most Wanded
- Caine1 - a focus starved caster, with great upkeeps for free? And a feat, which erases complete infantry battalions? Yes, please. If you intend to do a list which handles infantry spam well, pCaine is second to none in Cygnar's arsenal.
- Caine2 - Want to destroy a Khador heavy on average rolls in a single turn? Drop Fire for Effect on Tempest Blazers with Brutal Damage, and enjoy the show. Also, if you can spare Heightened Reflexes on yourself, the mages will shrug off most of the pop-and-drop tricks.
- Stryker1 - We're talking about Cygnar's prime support caster, of course he likes free upkeeps. A unit of Tempest Blazers, protected by Arcane Shield and his feat can also cause some surprise with their effective ARM 21.
- Haley1 - Deadeye is the Crit Fishing spell for Gun Mages, whether for brutal damage, or Thunderbolt. Temporal Barrier is an universal RAT fixer, enabling crit shots to happen all the more reliably.
- Siege1 - What brings down Arcane Tempest models? Blasts. Not with Foxhole, though, It cannot be kept up as free spell, but Explosivo can be. Tempest Blazer can really exploit the possibilities of the Breach feat with their Brutal Damage shots.
- The "also ran"
- Maddox - a free Snipe leaves you more room for other attack types, but you'll often have better targets for Dauntless Resolve.
- Sturgis1 - the same, as with Maddox, save that his feat is a bit more useful to them, than Maddox's +3 STR.
- Jakes2 - Bullet Dodger rewards you with highly elusive mages, especially with her feat. Being mainly a battlegroup caster however, this will not be the first theme you'll be looking for.
- Originally released 2017 February.
- In Mk2 "Sons of the Tempest" was the name of Caine1's theme list.
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
| Mercenaries and Partisans
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: Sons of the Tempest