|Crucible Guard CID is now live (Edit)||
Skarlock thralls are insidious creatures of blackest sorcery. Linked to their warcasters by bonds so powerful they can act in their master's stead, skarlocks move against enemies with a confidence born of a baleful intelligence.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Claws - 0.5" reach, P+S 6 melee weapon
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Attached - Before the start of the game, attach this model to a friendly Faction warcaster for the rest of the game. Each Faction warcaster can only have one model/unit attached to it.
- Soul Taker: Soul Cage - This model collects souls from living enemies who die within 2" of it. This model can store up to three souls and spend them for the following:
- Strength of Death - During its Combat Action, this model can spend soul tokens to boost one attack or damage roll for each token spent.
- Magic Ability [ 6 ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast spells. Offensive spells are a (★ Attack) and friendly spells are a (★ Action).
- Dark Fire (★ Attack) - 10" range, POW 12 attack. If it kills a living enemy model then the caster gets the soul regardless of the proximity of other Soul Takers.
- Spell Slave (★ Action) or (★ Attack) - While in its controlling warcaster/warlock's control area, this model may cast a single spell from their boss's spell card. There are several limits on what type of spells can be cast.
Thoughts on Skarlock Thrall
Skarlock Thrall in a nutshell
The Skarlock is an offensive solo that pops off Dark Fire and other "zap" spells each turn, and occasionally moonlights as a support solo with non-offensive spells.
With the severe restrictions that Spell Slave has (see below) it is best to think of this model as a way to increase your ranged presence with Dark Fire, and to consider any spells it gains via your warcaster as just icing on the cake. Trying to shoehorn it into a support role (like how it was in Mk2) is just going to leave you disappointed. In saying that, though, there are a few casters where it can act in a support role quite well. Spamming Ghost Walk for Deneghra1, for example.
The Skarlock directly competes with Maelovous from The Withershadow Combine, who does the exact same thing but better. A Skarlock is seldom the better choice of the two, though it can work as a budget option.
Combos & Synergies
Some casters can actually use the Skarlock Thrall to the level that the Withershadow Combine does not out perform him by a lot.
- Pirate Queen Skarre only needs a spell slave to can Ritual Sacrifice. In addition to having no debuffs she will regularly maintain, the Withershadow Combine is superfluous in comparison.
- Warwitch Deneghra's only has two spells a slave can cast Ghostwalk and Venom. Her upkeeps are so deadly that their victims might not require that you upkeep them so Admonia might not be needed. For this, a Skarlock Thrall is a decent choice for her.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- As well as the "obvious" restrictions listed on the card (no upkeeps, no SELF, no CTRL, no COST 4+), you're also limited by the definition of "spellcaster" which renders almost every support spell the Skarlock could cast as near-useless. Why? Well basically if the spell description includes a sentence that has "the spellcaster's battlegroup" or "the spellcaster's control area" you have to mentally delete that sentence from the spell effects, because the Skarlock has neither. For example:
- Excarnate lets you RFP an enemy and create a free grunt in your control area? Nope! The Skarlock gets to RFP them but he can't create a freebie.
- Siphon Bolt lets you remove focus from the enemy and have the spellcaster gain it? Nope! The Skarlock gets to remove the point of focus but no one gets to gain it.
- And so on and so forth.
- The Skarlock is made largely redundant by the Withershadow Combine. The only reason to take the Skarlock is if you're trying to save 5 points.
Tricks & Tips
- Originally released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
- Sculptor: Chaz Elliot
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders
| Explanatory Note
Who does the casting
When/how does a Spell Slave cast
What spells can they choose to cast
How can they boost the spell