Sea Dog Pirates
Mustered together from disreputable coastal taverns and wharves, the Sea Dogs are motley pirates hungry for spoils. Armed with swords and pistols and barely kept in check by grizzled mates, the Sea Dogs serve any master with sufficient coin. What they lack in training and manners they make up for with frightening bluster, enthusiastic avarice, and drunken debauchery.
Rifleman - Weapon Attachment
|Sea Dog Crew|
|Unit Size|| 6/10|
+0 to 3 WA
+ 1 CA
+2 per WA
|1.3 each (base unit)|
1.6 each (full unit)
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Leader & Grunts
- Hand Weapon - 0.5" reach, P+S 8 melee weapon
- Pistol - 8" range, POW 10 gun
- Riflemen (WA)
- Hand Weapon - As above
- Long Rifle - 14" range, POW 10 gun
- Mr. Walls (CA)
- Heavy Pistol (x2) - 8" range, POW 12 guns
- Entire Unit
- Mercenary - will work as a Cryx mercenary, Cygnar mercenary, Khador mercenary, and as a Protectorate of Menoth mercenary
- Gang - When making a melee attack targeting an enemy model in the melee range of another model in this unit, this model gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls.
- Point-Blank - This model can make melee attacks with its ranged weapon, although you don't add your STR.
- Riflemen only (WA)
- Mr Walls only (CA)
- He has +1 STR, MAT, +2 CMD, and 5 hitpoints
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- No Quarter (Minifeat) - Once per game, for one turn the unit gains Pathfinder and +2" to their charge movement.
- Tactics: Advance Deployment - The unit gains Advance Deployment.
- Monkey Bite - While in melee with Mr. Walls, living enemy models suffer -2 to melee attack rolls.
Thoughts on Sea Dog Pirates
Sea Dog Pirates in a nutshell
The Sea Dog Pirates require a lot of support solos to operate at their full potential, and that makes them into an absurdly overpriced infantry unit with awful stats and no staying power. Unless you spend the 12-20 points on their support solos they will simply die, and those support solos generally aren't good enough to stop that from happening anyway. They are, however, integral in any pirate list that wants to focus on killing the other caster.
Thoughts on adding the CA & WA
Adding Riflemen - Riflemen have excellent range so the main reason to take them is to use Money Shot from Rockbottom, Double Powder Ration from Dougal and Coup de Main from Shae to make them shoot really far and kill the opposing caster with POW 12's once you've knocked them down.
Adding Walls - walls grants Advance Deployment and one turn of pathfinder, which should be the turn you are trying to kill the other caster. If assassination is your plan, this should be your goal.
Combos & Synergies
- First Mate Hawk, Lord Rockbottom, Bosun Grogspar, Dougal Macnaille and Doc Killingsworth are all solos who explicitly buff either Privateers or Sea Dogs.
- Bloody Bradigan hides among them and adds hitting power.
- Captain Phinneus Shae has a buffing ability for Privateers
- Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord buffs units. Preferably big ones.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Unsupported they will die to pretty much everything and barely put up a fight in return.
- Enemies who can snipe out solos can cripple them back to as weak as their stat line would indicate.
Tricks and Tips
- You normally only want one unit and that with all the trimmings.
- Play them with Shae. Use his feat, Coup De Main, some way to knock down the opposing caster (Buccaneer net, Commodore Cannon slam, Freebooter throw), Money Shot, Double Powder Ration and No Quarter and a bunch of POW 12 shots to kill the opposing caster.
Released in Forces of Warmachine: Pirates of the Broken Coast (2007)
|Cygnar (Edit)||Khador (Edit)|
|Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)|
Other Mercenary models
Note to Editors
To edit the CA's tagged abilities, Click here