Satyxis Blood Priestess
|Articles you can help complete (Edit)|
|Satyxis Blood Priestess|
- Sacral Blade - 1" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Attack Type - Each time this weapon is used to make an attack, choose one of the following special rules:
- Dispel - When hit with this weapon, upkeep spells and animi on the model/unit immediately expire.
- Distillation - When a living enemy model is destroyed by this attack while this model is in its warcaster's CTRL range, immediately after the attack is resolved remove d3+3 damage points from the warcaster.
- Rites of Blood - Once per activation, immediately after destroying a living model with this weapon, the Priestess can cast one of the spells on its warcaster's card that are COST 3 or less. She can't cast upkeeps, SELF, or CTRL spells. Use the caster's FOCUS stat to make magic attack rolls.
- Horns - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon
- Attached - Before the start of the game, attach this model to a friendly Faction warcaster for the rest of the game. Each Faction warcaster can only have one model/unit attached to it.
- Arcane Assist - If its warcaster/warlock is in this model's CMD range during your Control Phase, the warcaster/warlock can upkeep one spell for free.
- Temptations of Fate - While the Priestess is within 3" of its warcaster, that warcaster gains Sucker!. (Sucker! - If this model is hit with a ranged attack, it must redirect the shot to a nearby friendly warrior.)
Thoughts on Satyxis Blood Priestess
Satyxis Blood Priestess in a nutshell
The Blood Priestess is a support solo that grants its warcaster three major things: Sucker, Arcane Assist, and killing your own troops to generate free spells.
Increasing the durability of some of the more fragile Cryx Warcasters can be very powerful. Focus efficiency in the form of Arcane Assist is also a very compelling choice for some of Cryx’s more buff-oriented caster options. We also would like to see the Blood Priestess join the fight in the mid-to-late game where her Sacral Blade’s menu of abilities can really come into effect. With the utility abilities to Heal, Dispel, or cast spells the toolbox of options are quite unique in this model.
Combos & Synergies
- Any caster who don't want to be hit. The various Deneghra are obvious example, but Skarre after bleeding for her feat also like some ranged protection.
- Venethrax has a particularly nasty array of spells she can cast. She has a better magic ability than a Skarlock and since she can charge, kill, and cast the spell, she also has a longer threat range as well.
- Perform your sacrifices near a Misery Cage for extra focus efficiency.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Sucker! isn't optional, so your opponent might use it to force you to kill models with hits that would not have killed your caster. Especially painful for Skarre, Admiral of the Black Fleet since she is usually easier to hit than the troops.
- If there are no other troops in range, Sucker! must be used to kill the Blood Priestess herself.
- Arcane Assist is tethered to the Priestess's CMD range, instead of the caster's CTRL.
Tricks & Tips
- Rites of Blood can trigger from friendly living models.
- It can be worth earmarking some cheap living models for the Priestess to sacrifice for fuel when she's with casters who would like her to function as a pseudo-Spell Slave. Especially in the early stages of the game, and extra especially if she has access to utility buffs like Ghost Walk or Telekinesis.
- The most cost-effective in-theme option would be Satyxis Blood Witches in Scourge of the Broken Coast, or Scharde Pirates in Slaughter Fleet Raiders, although neither are ideal choices due to Ambush and Tough, respectively. Swamp Gobber River Raiders are another appealing option.
- When picking which schmuck she's going to sacrifice, remember you can't charge your own models; and also you want the Priestess to finish her movement somewhere that your caster will benefit from Arcane Assist next turn.
- If possible, activate the schmuck first so that you at least get a Combat Action out of it before it dies.
- Ideally, position the schmuck next to an enemy model so the Priestess can get a charge (for extra distance), use her horns for the charge attack, then stab the schmuck for a free spell.
- Don't forget to expose the schmuck's back arc to the Priestess.
- Originally released in the Black Fleet CID (2017.11)
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders