The Nyss ryssovass were once proud defenders of the winding mountain passes of the Shard Spires. Having lost their sense of purpose after so many of their order were corrupted by Everblight, the remaining ryssovass relocated to Ios alongside their fellow refugees, where their frozen god is protected. They do not hesitate to join the Retribution of Scyrah in battle, seeing this as part of their sacred responsibility.
|1.6 points each|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Ryssovass Blade - 2" reach, P+S 10 melee weapon
- Weapon Master - When attacking with this weapon, add an additional die to its damage rolls.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Defensive Line - While base to base with another model in the unit gain a +2 DEF boost in melee and immunity to knockdown.
- Precision Strike - When damaging a warjack/warbeast with a melee attack, the attacker chooses which column/branch takes the damage.
Thoughts on Ryssovass Defenders
Ryssovass Defenders in a nutshell
Another tanky Weapon Master unit with average movement, 2" melee range and Weapon Master, it looks like these guys and Sentinels will be competing for the same space. Here is a small comparison between them:
- Sentinels hit harder, have more potential damage output and movement shenanigans thanks to Vengeance, their UA and the Scyir, and have some readily available ARM boost thanks to Wall of Steel
- Ryssovass Defenders can jam enemy lines better thanks to Defensive Line, cheaper, and due to Precision Strike can deliver targeted damage to cripple high priority warjacks and warbeasts.
Combos & Synergies
- They have a support solo, Aelyth Vyr, who gives them the Hard ability. Since they'll likely to bunch together to get Defensive Line bonus, which makes them immune to knockdown, this handy bonus will make them impervious against models slammed/thrown above their heads, and can act as an efficient screen against cavalry charges, as they blunt impact attacks.
- They also have a second support solo in the Priest of Nyssor who gives them the situational buff of immunity to cold, and more relevantly, can cast an aura that gives Nyss a +1 to attack rolls.
- The other Nyss Solo, Lanyssa Ryssyl is also handy for Hunter's Mark, but that is true for all your melee units, warjacks, solos, and warcaster. She is however thematically appropriate.
- P+S 10 Weapon master attacks yield about 20-21 pts of damage outside of charges in average. This is targeted damage, but is barely enough to hurt a heavy seriously. Issyria's feat, Elara's Scything Touch and in extreme cases, models in Ravyn's melee range under Vortex of Destruction can all pump up their damage.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- They lack the mobility of the Dawnguard Sentinels to reliably put the damage where it counts.
- If they didn't kill their objective in the turn they charged, it probably means that they are just going to jam that model until the game ends, especially if its any form of heavy.
- They are almost always required to be B2B, but with their average ARM it just leaves them vulnerable to blasts and very often their point cost quota is only met after a large amount of lucky tough rolls.
Tricks & Tips
- KD immunity from Defensive Line means that you can roll Tough as many times as you don't fail your rolls.
- Originally released 2017.04
Other Retribution models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Eilish Garrity - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|